Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Chroming not offensive: judge

Psychadelic_Paisly

Bluelighter
Chroming not offensive: judge
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,7993815%5E1702,00.html
27nov03

CHROMING, or paint sniffing, by young people in a public place could not be regarded as offensive behaviour, a Victorian Supreme Court judge ruled today.

Justice Howard Nathan made the ruling in overturning a Childrens Court magistrates' decision in the case of a 15-year-old boy.
The boy was with three friends when police, responding to a complaint, found them behind the Tourist Information Centre on the Princes Highway, at Traralgon, on July 21 last year.

When spotted by the police he was carrying two cans and a plastic bag full of spray paint.

All four had paint stains around their mouths and on their clothes and were in possession of cans of spray paint.

Justice Nathan, in allowing the appeal, said there was no evidence from any member of the public to say they were offended, rather than anguished, by the paint sniffing.

Chroming aroused feelings of anguish, despair and exasperation among the investigating police and the magistrate, he said.

"A reasonable person would be saddened, pitiful and concerned by paint sniffing, but not angered, wounded, outraged or disgusted and therefore not offended," Justice Nathan said.

The magistrate earlier found the boy guilty of offensive behaviour but dismissed the charge, meaning that no penalty or conviction was imposed.

The Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service, acting on behalf of the boy, appealed against the decision.

The judge said it was uncertain what the magistrate could have done to help the boy, who told police he had nothing better to do.

But it was not open to the magistrate to find the boy guilty of a criminal offence, he said.

HAHA That's my home town...
Stupid fucking kids with their cans.....
I know i love having green lungs...

I think this is great news. It certainly is a step towards bringing the practice into public eye, which is the first step in any progressive move towards reducing harm to users. With chroming we are talking brain and organ damage to young people, so there's no sense sending it further "underground" by tagging it an offensive practice.
21.gif

The judge made the right choice. It's alot of things, deadly being one of them, but it's not offensive.
I just hope someone can come up with a way to combat this, chroming really is bad mmkay :(

See a lot of these dickheads chroming in the city here..... they use coke bottles, and spray in the bottles and they just sniff/breath out of the bottles, the cops cant do anything, all they can do is take off them and put in the rubbish bin.

I have seen the coke bottle trick on the trains here in perth and must admit I was not offended, just thought I could never do that! The funniest thing is they think that nobody knows what they are doing, but they are obvioulsy not drinking the bloody thing!

Ever had a nitrous bulb or a sniff of amyl? Same thing, all classed as 'inhalant abuse'... the difference is nitrous seems to be less harmful at this moment than paint fumes. But then again I don't see many people doing bulbs on the bus either...

BigTrancer :)