• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drugs and Crive Prevention Committee: Inquiry into Amphetamines/"Party Drugs" in Vic

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Drugs and Crive Prevention Committee: Inquiry into Amphetamines/"Party Drugs" in Vic

From: http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/dcpc/current_inquiries/party_drugs.htm
Parlofvsml2colour.gif

Inquiry into the Issue of Amphetamines and
Party Drug Use in Victoria

acro_icon.gif
Discussion Paper (1.4Mb)

Terms of Reference
A resolution passed by the Legislative Council on 15 April 2003

That pursuant to the Parliamentary Committees Act 1968, the Drugs and Crime Prevention Committee be required to inquire into and report t Parliament on the use of amphetamines and 'party drugs' in Victoria. In particular, the Committee is required to:

• examine the nature, extent and culture of amphetamines and 'party drug' use;
  • determine the emographic profile of users;
  • examine the short and long term consequences of amphetamine and 'party drug' use;
  • examine the relationship of amphetamine and 'party drug' use to other forms of licit and illicit substance user;
  • review the adequacy of existing strategies for dealing with amphetamine and 'party drug' use;
  • consider best practice strategies to address the issue of amphetamine and 'party drug' use, including regulatory, law enforcement, education and treatment responses;
  • examine national and international legislation, reports and materials relevant to the issue.
and report to Parliament by 31 December 2003.

I think this is nearly due in, I saw an article in my local paper that referred to this inquiry so I looked it up. On Nov 11th, Silvan MP Carolyn Hirsch chaired a public hearing of the DCPC, and their discussion paper can be found as a PDF at the link above.

BigTrancer :)

RaveSafe recently put forward a submission to the DCPC that addresses the TOR of this discussion paper to demonstrate how the RaveSafe project and other peer education projects are vital to the development of ‘best practice’ strategies, interventions and policies aimed at addressing amphetamine and ‘party drug’ use in Victoria.

I was then invited to present to the DCPC an overview of the RaveSafe project, and inform them of the key strategies we have identified in dealing with ‘party drug use’. The issues I covered included:

Peer Education
Working with and upskilling event organisers and promoters
Developing appropriate resources
Developing and maintaining partnerships between appropriate agencies.
Influencing of legislation (eg free cold water in clubs, introduction of pill-testing)
Upskilling of AOD workers.

I have had an extremely positive response from the Committee, including a show of support for RaveSafe, which in turn lead to the invitation for me to take them (plus a few politicians, such as Silvan MP Carolyn Hirsch) on a 'tour' of the Melbourne Dance scene.

This 'tour' occurred last friday night and was very enjoyable for all involved. :)

*hats off to ravesafe*

very interesting paper BT.

Well worth a read, very imformative i felt.....

esp. pages 132-135 about demographics of ecstacy users......