Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Injecting at raves/dance parties/nightclubs

RaveSafeVIC

Bluelighter
As the State peak body representing the interests of people who use illicit drugs in Victoria, VIVAIDS is developing “Organisational Positions” on issues affecting the health and human rights of Victorians who use illicit drugs. These policy documents will be practical advocacy tools, useful in establishing a framework for media releases and organisational responses to government policies and strategies, and in undertaking partnership activities with key stakeholders.

Currently we are working on a particular policy document that will outline VIVAIDS’ position in relation to access of disposal services for used injecting equipment. If you can provide any reponse to the following questions relating to injecting at raves/clubs, it would be most appreciated.

1. Do people who may be injecting drugs and attend raves, dance parties,
night clubs etc. notice a lack of needle and syringe disposal services?

2. Have people who attend raves, dance parties, night clubs etc ever noticed discarded needles and syringes at these events? If so, have they also noticed needle and syringe disposal bins at these events?

3. Is there much injecting of drugs at raves, dance parties, night clubs
etc?

4. How do people who may be injecting drugs and attend raves, dance parties, night clubs etc. get their information on safer disposal of used injecting equipment?

Cheers
Nat
RaveSafe

1. n/a

2. i never have, no. i notice more around my local train station than at a rave!

3. in my experience, very little. i think i've heard vaguely of someone i know doing it, but that's *once* in the last year or so (my first rave was october 2002). that said, this could be the people i associate with - who's to say that there isn't a helluva lot of this activity going on, i wouldn't necessarily be aware of it. i guess the rest of this thread will inform us as to its prevalence.

4. n/a

I am an IV drug user who occasionally injects meth, ketamine etc. at raves/dance parties

1) Yes, I rarely see facilities to dispose of injecting equipment, hence I use the appropriate sealable containers and keep them on my person or keep all IV related articles in the car if possible.

2) I can't recall ever seeing syringes improperly disposed of at clubs/parties/raves

3) yes, there is probably a lot more than most people think.

4)I think it's more commonsense than anything. Safe disposal of such equipment is not that difficult at all.

The time and effort is probably better spent elsewhere.

I have never seen or heard of anyone injecting drugs at raves.

For an experienced IV user, it takes no more time or effort than chopping lines at a rave.
The fact that you guys (shorza and 1234) haven't seen it at raves is not evidence that it doesn't happen, believe me!
It's a testament to the responsibility and respect IV users have to keep what they're doing discreet and done responsibly. :)

I know it may come as a shock to non-IV using rAvAhS out there, but there are plenty of us shooting meth in the same spots you chop lines, we just keep it somewhat discreet ;)

SteveElektro said:
It's a testament to the responsibility and respect IV users have to keep what they're doing discreet and done responsibly.

You must be kidding. Everything else you have said may be true and if so I respect that but the above line is a load of crap

^^ I think that is a good line. A lot (most) of people out clubbing/raving/whatever can get easily offended by seeing someone shoot up and/or seeing used needles disposed of in a bad manner (i.e left on the ground in a cubicle). It's fairly simple to eat/snort a drug off some surface and be done with it, with only the snorting device left over after the act is done. With IV, you have a needle, spoon, filter water/saline/whatever bottles left over to dispose of. If there isn't a disposal box close by, it would be very irresponsible to just leave them on the ground or something after you are finished with them.

OnTopic, I know of some people who do shoot up at clubs/events but it is a rare number that I know of compared to users who snort/eat chems. Most people I know who IV prefer to do it at home in a clean/safe(no one walking in on you)/noiseless environment as compared to a club/event where anything can happen while you are administrating the drug.

I have never noticed syringes discarded in a public place at a rave/event.

Last edited:
Slight of hand? Just cause you don't see it....

Shorza wrote The time and effort is probably better spent elsewhere.

I have never seen or heard of anyone injecting drugs at raves..

Although I have rarely seen such activity, I was also once nieve enough to think it didn't occur. That was until we decided to put a sharps bin in the toilets at one of our own events. Fuck me! I couldn't believe how many were left in the bin in girls toilet.

Since then we usually make it policy. Sometimes there's only 2-3 after a night, but there's always something.

I personally have no problem with people injecting wherever/whenever - as long as they are disposed of so people are not at risk of getting injected too.. I've seen more needle disposal units at public schools than raves and clubs...

I've never seen it with my own eyes, but I always wondered just how frequently it occured...

The closest thing I've encountered would be an acquaintance who once IV'd before entering a rave.

1. Yes. Probably because club owners don't want to be seen to be condoning or even admitting that sort of behaviour occurs. Or facilitating it or whatever. Pretty soft, IMO.

2. Not usually, no. At some events, particularly outdoors, I've seen a lot of indiscrete people but generally it is pretty well hidden. They aren't about to stand around in the middle of the dancefloor and announce it. Unlike a lot of pill poppers who tend to be pretty obvious.

3. Yeah a bit. But they tend to close the door on the cubicle when shooting up or head out to the car so you may not notice unless you are "in" with that side of things. As people have said, some of you would be very surprised at the number.

4. No idea. Presumably externally cause I've seen fuck all info about it at clubs & raves.

I think there should be more information and facilities at these places, but there is another view that with the information freely bandied about it could introduce clubbers to the idea.

Generally the people I know have started injecting away from that scene. Part of the reason so many people don't realise a fair few clubbers inject is because the public don't directly link it to clubbing.

dylanjh82 said:
You must be kidding. Everything else you have said may be true and if so I respect that but the above line is a load of crap
Please explain why.

again, i think i have been nieve to think that it didn't happen but i just have never really seen it....i see people shooting up on the train in the streets etc, but never at a rave? thats weird though you think at a place where almost everyone (generalising here) is on something that you would see people shooting up, as people who snort/eat arent THAT discreet about it (as someone already mentioned)

1. I have never noticed any needle disposal bins at any clubs/raves i have been too.

2. i have seen a few on the ground in the outside carparks but never usually scattered inside and/or in the toilets

3.personally i have never seen any, but as i said it must go on

4. n/a

Re: Slight of hand? Just cause you don't see it....

phase_dancer said:
Although I have rarely seen such activity, I was also once nieve enough to think it didn't occur. That was until we decided to put a sharps bin in the toilets at one of our own events. Fuck me! I couldn't believe how many were left in the bin in girls toilet.

Since then we usually make it policy. Sometimes there's only 2-3 after a night, but there's always something.

Oh i didnt say it didn't occur, im sure it does.Putting a sharps bin in every toilet in Australia would be the way to go, not just focussing on rave events.

You are right, i probably would be surprised, i just think there are other area's of HR that need more concentration.

I've seen plenty of badly disposed of equipment at clubs (not so much at raves). Probably not at the clubs you would expect either. Sharps containers are a good way of preventing this sort of thing, but like Steve said it's not that hard for the IV drug user to take reponsibility and not leave it lying around.

SteveElektro said:
Please explain why.

I think to claim "It's a testament to the responsibility and respect IV users have to keep what they're doing discreet and done responsibly." it is stretching the positive aspects about IVing in private to the extreme limit.

Firstly, the self-indulgence aspect of drugs makes them intrinsically selfish. Do you consider others when you go and do it in private? I am not an iv user, but still choose to go to somewhere private to have whatever I am having. Simply because I want to do it alone. Why else do people dump/have lines in toilets? No other reason, and I certainly don't consider anyone elses feelings/situation before I have my drugs. (Or put it another way, a good mate would have to have a very persuasive story to stop me taking drugs if I had planned to)
Secondly, to call any form of drug use responsible is pushing the limit.
I am deliberately going to avoid citing the negative stigma attached to 'injecting' because it is based on emotion, not fact, however the above two points still hold I believe.

I'm not having a go at you bro, just the fact that you claim "It's a testament to the responsibility and respect IV users have to keep what they're doing discreet and done responsibly"

If that is how you see it for yourself, then that it fantastic, and I congratulate you for having such a respectful attitude. But generalising for all IV users is just taking it too far for me.

Anyway, just IMHO. Didn't want much ado bout nothing here!

1) I IV drugs every time I go to a club or rave. Usually I duck out to the car but have used the toilets ocassionally. It depends on the club, some have the yellow disposable containers in the cubicle.

2) I can't say I've ever come across fits recklessly thrown in a public area.

3)The injecting is not as obvious as other methods of ingestion, but it does go on.

4)I think its just common sense and respect for people around you.

1. yes and yes
2. no and no
3. yes, but i have no idea how wide spread it is.
4. through other chanels.

I've seen needles all the time. Not so much at raves or clubs, but at bars....especially in Richmond, Melbourne.

It has become a bit far fetched for me.

First it starts with Children's booties, then scarves, then jumpers then before you know it..........there's a bloody knitting club !

Something should be done about it.

the only place i have ever seen needles recklessly thrown on the ground was at central and tuggerah train station and there were hundredsof fits people should do something abut that!