Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

what mushroom species are in WA??

sonic_reality

Bluelighter
hey,

i know it's not the right season yet, and all, but i was just wondering what the local magic mushroom species are in WA, specifically in and around the perth area.

i just moved over from cairns, and panaleous/copelandia cyanesceans(sp?) grow all over the place up there. obviously in cow shit!
i know this species wouldn't exsist over here, as it is not a tropical climate!

any info would be appreciated, as i would like to learn as much about the local species that i can, so i know what i'm looking for when the season starts. of course, i'll try and find an experienced picker(i am one, but only for p. cyanesceans), but i would still like to know as much as possible.

mods, i tried a search on the net to find out species local to WA, but to no avail. it only came up with australian species, but wasn't specific about which state etc.
i also read John Allens Guide to Psychoactive Mushrooms in Australia, but he didn't mention WA. he mentioned mushies local to QLD, NSW, TAS and i think VIC, but no WA.

i also tried searching for it in the archives, and through the whole of bluelight, but i couldn't find any specific info.

if there has been a previous thread regarding this topic, or you know of a site that has all the info, if you could kindly point me in the right direction, i would muchly appreciate it!

cheers

SONIC

i'm not from WA, but most likely you're going to find p. cubensis and possibly cope cyans (which you are already experienced picking)... these will grow in warm/hot weather after rainfall (pref. high humidity).

the only species i could find on those sites that are in Western Australia, are the Psilocybe australiana and the Psilocybe subaeruginosa.

the subaeruginosa is the only one that it says is definately found in WA, the australiana they said, is "possibly" found in WA.

are there any other species that anyone knows about?

keep in mind, i am not asking where to find them!
just what species are local to WA, so that i can do some research on them myself, so i know what i am looking for, and what i am taking.

before i ever went out to look for the Panaeolus cyanescens in cairns, i did many days of research on them, so i would know exactly what to look for, how many to take, and also what were some deadly lookalikes!

cheers

jimbu said:
i'm not from WA, but most likely you're going to find p. cubensis and possibly cope cyans (which you are already experienced picking)... these will grow in warm/hot weather after rainfall (pref. high humidity).

yeah, that's the problem!!

i haven't been here long, but i'm pretty sure that during the summer(the hot time), there is not much rain at all, and it is quite dry(not humid). this is just what i have been told, so i don't know for sure!

which means that the cyanescens would not grow, because it is not the right weather for them.
not sure about the cubensis, but from what i have read over the last year, they need the same conditions as the cyanescens.

please correct me if i'm wrong all you WA people. i would love to find out that the cyanescens grow locally here, but from what i've read, they don't! :(

Gymnopilus purpuratus has also been reported in WA. I don't think they're very common, but they must be out there somewhere. Psilocybe cubensis only grow in humid, subtropical environments.

:)

Flexistentialist said:
Psilocybe cubensis only grow in humid, subtropical environments.
:)

just as i thought. and a humid, subtropical climate is not what i would class perth as. i may be wrong, as i've only been here a few months.
after living in the tropics my WHOLE life, this has been a very big change for me. a couple of weeks back, it got up to 30 here and i was still walking around in a jumper!! hehe

thanks flexi, i will have a look around on the net for info on Gymnopilus purpuratus!

cheers =D

From what I have heard, there are no abundant native magic mushrooms in WA.
However, some time ago, hippies infected the Bailingup area with spores brought over from the Eastern States.
Try getting hold of the documentary "The mushrooms of Bailingup" for further info, as I have no idea what species it is that were brought over.
That said, it isn't mushroom season anyway, but during the season, Bailingup is awash with pigs looking to bust unsuspecting hippies, as it is the only area well known for them.

sonic_reality said:
the only species i could find on those sites that are in Western Australia, are the Psilocybe australiana and the Psilocybe subaeruginosa.

the subaeruginosa is the only one that it says is definately found in WA, the australiana they said, is "possibly" found in WA.
Keep in mind there is constant raging debate whether these are even 2 different species, the same species, or subspecies...chances are you will have trouble distinguishing them in any case. Also, P.Subaeruginosa grows in cold, wet climates (ie. during winter).

Flexistentialist said:
Gymnopilus purpuratus has also been reported in WA. I don't think they're very common, but they must be out there somewhere. Psilocybe cubensis only grow in humid, subtropical environments.
I have also heard this (can't remember the source) but Gyms are a very weak variety of psilocybes, and apparently taste aweful (and considering a large amount must be injected, are not really desireable, but if it's all you can find ;))

Either way, your bvest bet is to ask this question on the shroomery forums, you'll get much better answers there.

Oh and there a quite a few Gymnopilus lookalikes that i've seen down here in Melba, so be careful! :)