• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Legality of importing prescription / other drugs into Australia? (eg Modafinil)

VelocideX

Bluelighter
I'm wondering as to the legality of importing several substances into Australia...

It is legal to import many things (e.g. 5-HTP) under the Theraputic Goods Administration's (TGA) Personal Importation Scheme. See: http://www.health.gov.au/tga/docs/html/bringmed/persimp.htm

What I'm wondering is whether it is legal to import

1) prescription medicines that are NOT on the customs restricted list. I.e. not amphetamines, psychedelics, narcotics, opiates etc that are currently registered as being available only on prescription in Australia

2) Prescription medicines which are NOT currently registered in Australia. Im thinking of modafinil in particular.

Does anyone know the answer to this from a legal standpoint?
Has anyone imported Modafinil and had no problems with it? Or had problems with it? Did it have an "examined by Australian Customs" sticker on?

I have posted this thread in both Legal Q&A and Australian Drug Discussion in the hope of getting a better response.

Cheers guys

I'd assume that whether or not you actually had a legit prescription would be a large factor.

Write or ring and ask someone at the TGA. Unless things have dramatically changed there, they used to be very co-operative. Ot perhaps that was just the one guy :\ Try seaching the archives for TGA, his name might come up.

I have met an individual who has had this medicine, in Victoria. I can only assume he got a prescription for it locally, then ordered it internationally. For drugs that are prescription only overseas, but not yet approved here, you can get them shipped in under the Special Access Scheme, subject to approval, which will include a prescription. I assume this is how the guy I knew got his. To get Modafanil, I think you would need to be diagnosed with narcolepsy or a similar sleep disorder, such as hypersomnolence (that's what the guy I knew had it for). I doubt a Dr would prescribe such a medicine, uanpproved in Aus, for anything less than a disorder that is severely impacting on your day to day life. They have to be able to justify the risk of an unapproved medicine, over the potential benefit to you.

my info was wrong, it has been approved recently in australia.... it is available, but (obviously) only on prescription...

grr really want to get hands on it, though i doubt ill be able to fake narcolepsy

Right you are! Looks like it was actually approved late last year. Don't worry too much - if you had a script for it it would cost you $121 for 30 tablets of 100mg. It's hardly affordable:\

Its nothing special.
Good for studying, but way too expensive when you can get dexamphetamine so much easier + cheaper.