Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

anna wood?

grinfairy

Bluelighter
I was reading a submission of a post the other day that mentioned Anna Wood. (sorry, cant remember whos or what) And itt said she died from drinking too much water, is this true? I know she died after taking e but i have heard so many stories as to what happened, eg she only had one and was allergic?! She had one, didnt work for ten minustes so took another, that didnt work so took another etc. I know this is a fairly pointless post but i would really like to know, what ACTUALLY happened to Anna Wood?

from http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_health5.shtml

"It is clear that Miss Wood had ingested ecstasy (MDMA), had been
dancing intermittently and had drunk large amounts of fluid. Her
illness and death bore all the hallmarks of cerebral oedema, and
it can be concluded that she died of acute water intoxication,
secondary to MDMA ingestion.

*doh!* Beaten to the mark.. :)

Beaten twice =D

I think it's generally agreed that what did the damage was the condition known as hyponatremia. As to what caused her to die? I think it's also generally agreed upon that to some degree it was negligence on behalf of her friends and those around her.

In reality no-one will ever probably know the particulars which may have made her more susceptible. Anyway, the subject has been discussed here many times.

Do a search on Anna Woods and you should have some reading.

In case you've missed them here's the search results for the Archive

search: AANZMEDD ARCHIVES; Anna Woods

I'll leave this discussion open for now, but not so much to discuss Anna Woods - as said, the subject has been previously well addressed - but hyponatremia. This topic becomes particularly relevant as the summer approaches.

one thing that i will add is that APPARRENTLY she believed that drinking large amounts of water would reverse the effects of MDMA, a fatal move.
take care of yourselfs and eachother guys

PLUR

Thanks heaps guys, plenty of info for me to read!
Ill be sure not to drink to much water next time im out....

Just take sips of water, dont gulp it down.

What my friends and I do is buy a bottle of water between us (say like 3 or 4) and then every now and then say 10 mins we all take a swig then fill it up at the taps.

Keeps you hydrated but will make sure you dont drink too much.

Also chewing gum helps cause you can feel if you start running out of saliva and need to drink a LITTLE more.

I think the recommeded water intake for an average person on MDMA is:
250ml per hour if you are being relatively inactive.
500ml per hour if you are dancing.

It is important to keep fluid intake up, but just to be mindful of how much you are taking :)

Question:

If her friends had taken her straight to hospital instead of dumping her in a room uncouncious would there have been anything that could have been done to ease/cope with/reverse the case of hyponatremia? (ie. stop her dying)

I was a young teenager when I saw this. All I could (and still can) think was how could they just leave her like that. :X I blame them more than the MDMA. So I'm just curious if I'm completly wrong and there was nothing that could have been done about it.

Cuddles :)

I think the contention was that she felt unwell and was left by her friends. What preceded her feeling unwell was as far as I remember a cocktail of Alcohol and drugs. MDMA possibly exacerbated an already existing state; overheating dehydration etc. which caused her to feel so thirsty.

From what I recall her friends were too afraid of alerting anybody in case they were associated or caught up in any trouble (not that unusual in life). So one must conclude that if someone had recognised her situation early enough and responded appropriately, who knows whether this would have intervened in her fate. Whatever the situation, it can't be changed now by going over "what ifs"

But one thing is clear though. If the same situation occurred today, there would be less likelihood of the person dying. That's because more people are aware and therefore more likely to intervene. In this respect Anna Wood's death has not been completely in vain
23.gif

If someone is suffering from hyponatremia is it possible to reverse the situation with/without medical attention. My understanding is that hyponatremia basically is when the electrolytes in the body are too diluted and the body can't function properly. I've heard that drinking tihngs like mizone or even salty water can prevent this situation from occuring. If someone was suffering from hyponatremia would it be possible to give them electrolytes or something else that would imporive the situation. Is this wat ambo's would do if they were called to sometihng like this?????

Nice Tits

superbabydoc is best to answer your question Nice Tits, but I would imagine saline would be the first move, probably with other electrolytes and diuretics if available (corrections babydoc?). So yes if it was not too advanced (i.e. predominantly peripheral not neural) and you could get the concentrated saline into the bloodstream quick enough I imagine there would be some hope. But I appreciate how quickly cellular destruction can occur, so prevention is definitely better than cure in this case

Thankfully, I'm not aware of RS Qld having had to intervene in any situation involving hyponatremia. By all reports it seems it is relatively rare. As you know the more common problems involve overheating/dehydration which are usually easy to recognise.

It could be more of a problem with any case of hyponatremia; recognising the disorder. If someone informed you the person had been drinking lots of water prior to feeling unwell, you might have something to go on. But from experience, similar symptoms to early hyponatremia or edema can often mean something else quite explainable such as poly drug use etc. I'm not sure whether paramedics could test for osmotic pressure or check for sodium in urine...could well have something I haven't thought of.

That's why I try to emphasise the importance of looking after each other. If someone is going hard on the water, check on them. It could simply be from a very mouth drying experience in the cloak room ;) But if something is to happen, paramedics or emergency personnel can include a friends account in the often fast decision making required with some incidents.

I am confused with the whole overheating dehydration bit. I might be a dumb arse I dont know, but really how do you know, especially when your peaking. I have E once and small doses of speed, I found with the E I had some really bad hot rushes, I was a bit worried if I was over heating so I went out side with a friend but couldnt keep still I was pacing around, I had trouble with keeping my eye's open and thort I was going to pass out, It was a really strong pill for my first time and I took it in halfs, but I didnt wait for the first 1/2 to kick in so I took the other half a hr and half lateron, thats when I got the intense hot rushes. I was sipping water but I am just wondering could you explain the signs of overheating, i know the bit obou t obout dry lips and mouth.

Also how much is too much water for a night out?? and is it true it takes up to 7 hrs after taking the drug untill u realise the overheating?? i read it somewhere on bl

Thanks

I very nearly OD'ed the third time I tried MDxx after drinking too much water in a club. I was soooo messed up I couldn't work out whether I just drank or not and proceeded to drink more. It was only when I sat down next to someone I had only just met 2 hours ago and relaxed that I was able to come down to 'normal' levels. It was a terrible, terrible, terrible experience in so many ways. If anyone wants to know more about just how bad drinking too much water is, I am more than willing to share my experience in greater detail.

If you don't mind, give us the details Raving Loony. I've said that it isn't that common for Harm Reduction workers to encounter hyponatremia (at least in our neck of the woods) so I would like to hear your full account.

LahLahGatecrasher; The usual visual signs of dehydration/rehydration such as fatigue, sweating, red face etc. are the things Harm Reduction workers look for when roving an event. If someone requires assistance from Ravesafe, the worker will ask the person (or friends) if they have a headache or are otherwise feeling unwell. If the HR worker is convinced the person hasn't been drinking too much water then they will encourage him/her to drink. It's all about "feel" really, as there's no way of really estimating just how dehydrated someone is (for outreach workers anyway). Signs such as dark coloured urine, dry skin and bags under the eyes aren't that reliable either as other things may affect or cause the conditions.

MDMA causes body temperature increases. Even small amounts will do this, but individuals may be more or less prone to these actions of the drug. Health factors such as cardiovascular disease; thyroid, hypothalamus (temp reg centre) or pituitary disorders, or just a sensitivity to any of the drug's physiological actions may result in a person experiencing a greater degree of dehydration and overheating (the 2 usually going hand in hand).

If aiding someone, it's important to consider a number of factors before suggesting the person drink a lot of water. If there is ever any doubt, HR workers will refer the person to ambulance or emergency personnel.

For a personal check, I think the best you can do is to recognise the things which add to dehydration. Alcohol, insufflating anything and many other drugs by themselves cause dehydration. Dancing and other strenuous activity, environment (appreciating temp increases as room fills) and even your level of anxiety prior to dropping can add to the Temp. effects of MDMA.

When under the influence of MDMA, level of water intake is usually recommended as:

~250-300mL of water/ hour if not physically active (chilling)
~500-600mL of water/ hour if physically active (dancing, sex etc)

These are approximate only and as said various factors may mean
a person may require more or less water during their roll.

Hope this is of some help

Last edited:
mmm...looks almost identical to the link I gave further up the page ;)

Thanks Nice Tits. To restress the point. If you haven't looked at superbabydoc's paper, DO IT. It's easy to follow and gives a great level of understanding to a difficult to explain subject. At the time babydoc posted this, I'd also prepared something on the subject. But after reading babydoc's paper I looked at mine, complete with diagrams and everything, and decided it didn't compare in the slightest. Needless to say mine went in the bin.

drink up during the day hours before you hit it and know that your body is adiquately hydrated and you should be fine. Well this is what I do before Taking pills that night allong with the obligitory banana smoothie for brekkie day before and after. not just for the trytimine boost but for the liquid meal too.

IWoody said
drink up during the day hours before you hit it and know that your body is adiquately hydrated and you should be fine.

Up to a point this is probably good advice, but don't forget that MDMA has antidiuretic properties causing you to retain more water (urinate less). It is this action of the drug, coupled with increased thirst due to overheating that can lead to hyponatremia.

Re: recognising hyponatraemia (HN), I agree that for the average punter, or possibly the average emergency medical personnel, it is not an easily distinguishable disorder. Not without blood and urine testing, so basically someone would have to go to hospital to confirm it. Therefore, prevention is easier than cure! If you don't guzzle litres of water you should be fine. Although this stuff is really important, it isn't something to stress about either, because prevention should be easy if you:
  1. drink no more than about 500 mls (or two cups) of fluid per hour when active
  2. don't drink only water. Drink some sports drinks also, as they contain sodium and other electrolytes
  3. if you are feeling hot, don't guzzle water in an effort to cool down. Rest, suck on ice blocks, and go to a cooler location
  4. If you are really struggling to pee and are worried you have drunk a bit much, caffeine has diuretic effects. A Coke might be enough to stimulate urination
    [/list=1]
    I should also mention that you can get hyponatraemia with adequate sodium intake + large voumes of water. So you need to limit water intake as well as have sodium intake to prevent HN.

So far there are only 3 case of MDMA related HN around the world. There may have been others that have gone unreported, but this is not common and is easily prevented (I can't stress this enough:))

If you are worried about recognising the symptoms but don't think you can remember them all look at it this way. You know what a normal MD** experience is right? (Well, if you don't see MDMA: Essential Guide v1.00) If someone is having a very different experience then perhaps something is wrong. For example, if someone displays the following symptoms, you want to assess the situation and think about getting help.
    These are all general symptoms that could indicate one of various stimulant related problems (it isn't conclusive though - just a starting point):
    • seizures
    • extreme confusion, bizarre behaviour (more bizarre than wearing plastic jewellery and sucking a dummy;))
    • severe muscle twitches or spasms
    • decreased level of consciousness
    • rigid limbs
    • chest pain or other cardiac signs like palpitations
    • incontinence (losing control of bladder or bowels)
    • high body temperature + profuse sweating, or not sweating at all + high temperature
    • repeated vomiting (vomiting once or twice is not unheard of on MDMA, but more would be cause for concern)
    • severe headache
    • weakness or severe difficulty walking
    • collapse
    If you are at an event, seek out the first aid people. That's what they are there for. If you are elsewhere, you need to make a judgement about getting medical help, based on what you see. Sometimes it will be hard to tell if you're dealing with an emergency - for example, palpitations won't always = a serious problem, but if you aren't trained to work that out, err on the side of caution and seek help.

p_d: you were bang on about treatment of HN - either isotonic saline (which is actually hypertonic to someone who is hyponatraemic) or hypertonic saline and diuretics, plus oher supportive care.

cuddlefish: as I understand it, Anna would have survived if her friends had got medical attention when she became unwell. There was a period of about 5 hours when Anna looked unwell. She apparently vomited at the edge of the dancefloor, then collapsed in the toilets at about 5am. After that, she siad she couldn't feel her lips or legs, and stopped talking (her consciousness was impaired) An ambulance was called at 10am, by which point she was unconscious. You can read the whole sad story here. :(

A final interesting point, beer can also cause HN -it's called beer drinkers potomania :\