Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - October 1st 2003 - Drug cop nabbed before police raid

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
Drug cop nabbed before police raid
October 1, 2003

AN experienced detective has been savaged by a police dog while allegedly trying to burgle a home before his colleagues raided it.

The officer, who was a member of a squad trying to break a major ecstasy ring, has been suspended from duty.

The officer, a senior detective from the major drug investigation division, was found near the property on Saturday night after local police and a dog unit responded to a call.

He was savaged by a police dog after allegedly assaulting the dog's handler. The 33-year-old was arrested and is in hospital with severe facial injuries.

Officers from the ethical standards department, the force's internal affairs unit, hope to interview the detective soon.

No charges have yet been laid.

The detective's alleged actions have devastated the major drug investigation division, established in June last year after allegations of major corruption within the ranks of the former drug squad.

The division has so far run a clean slate, with a revamped list of detectives and new work procedures.

Acting Assistant Commissioner Terry Purton (crime) said he believed no other police officers were involved in Saturday night's incident.

"They feel terribly devastated and disappointed as a result of what's happened," he said.

ESD boss Assistant Commissioner Noel Perry said the detective, who has 14 years' experience, was off duty when arrested.

"At the time he was called to stop he resisted and refused to co-operate with the dog handler," he said. "At some stage during the apprehension he identified himself as a police member."

After the detective's arrest, his colleagues seized 200,000 ecstasy tablets, 2kg of a drug called ice, 5000 LSD tablets, chemicals, pill presses and $220,000 at the East Oakleigh home.

Mr Purton said it was alleged the $8.5 million ring had interstate and international links.

"The previous largest seizure of ecstasy tablets in Victoria was 50,000. This is quadruple that amount, and 200,000 will have a severe impact on the ecstasy market in Victoria," he said.

Five people were arrested over the haul. Three have been remanded in custody.

While Victoria Police has cleaned the drug squad's image with the formation of the new squad, Mr Perry said there were still possibilities for corruption in high risk areas of policing, particularly where drugs were involved.

"There has been massive input to reform the previous drug squad back in 2002," he said.

"We have put in control mechanisms and strategies to ensure the opportunity for corruption is absolutely minimised."

A special taskforce investigating actions of former drug squad members, codenamed Ceja, has led to seven officers being charged.

"The Ceja operation is still ongoing," Mr Perry said. "I'm unable to say when it will be completed but it does show the Victoria Police force is determined to rid itself of corruption."

With recent charges against former drug squad members threatening the integrity of prosecution cases, Mr Perry said the detective's arrest would have no bearing on any case.

"Allegations are yet to be put to this member, but I'm led to believe any involvement of his in this operation will not jeopardise any current cases before the courts or any cases we propose to put before the courts," Mr Perry said.

Herald Sun

original story here.

ouch, talk about crooked cops 8(

>After the detective's arrest, his colleagues seized 5000 LSD tablets
NOOOOOOOOOO :(

^^ make a good movie, wouldn't it............. crooked cop gets fucked over by multiple crooked cops.

Last edited:
nickthecheese said:
ouch, talk about crooked cops 8(

>After the detective's arrest, his colleagues seized 5000 LSD tablets
NOOOOOOOOOO :(
2KG of ice and microdots!
ARRRGH!!!
Me cries

and cries

and cries some more

You've got to feel sorry for Ms Nixon and police heirarchy... there's nothing they can do. They put pretty much everyone in the old drug squad in prison for corruption and start a brand new squad, having weeded out all the bad ones and now this happens.

It's a recurrent theme of the war on drugs and it's ability to corrupt just about anyone who is involved in policing it.

Also, 2kgs of ice??!! :) The only place I've ever seen more is at the servo where they sell bags of 3kgs 8)

Look at how hard they are trying to stamp out police corruption though, laudable efforts. They are risking starting over on so many levels and creating enormous workloads in order to clean up the force. Now that they've started, they can't really stop.

BigTrancer :)

Is 2 kgs really a lot? I would have thought it was a relatively small amount, 20,000 points maybe only sorting Melbourne for a weekend... (sorry for the speculation, I am new to your fair city).

"The previous largest seizure of ecstasy tablets in Victoria was 50,000. This is quadruple that amount, and 200,000 will have a severe impact on the ecstasy market in Victoria," he said.

errrr? severe impact? highly dubious

I reaken it might have a bit of a impact.
There were probably alot of people involved in that drug syndicate. Even though a few people may have only been caught, there will be alot more of other people who will be having a break until everything cools down a bit. This means that alot of dealers want be able to score there pills of their usual dealer, resulting in them not being able to score.
The people who were involved may also score that amount every week, which isn't a huge number, but it's enough to have a impact.

I'm hoping these weren't good pills though.

*REALITY CHECK, REALITY CHECK*

Breathe in... breathe out...

You guys will be fine, and hey, it's not like two weeks without pills will kill you. Or a month.. or more..

Hell, i'd even say it might even do you good ;)

Relax, sit back, and enjoy the ride (life).

I agree...
I doubt this will make a huge impact on any of our lives :)
besides, I find it amusing.
While the heat is on the crooked cops, it takes the spotlight off "those damn rave people" that take the drugs.
Now, Isnt that a change?

aunty establishment said:
Is 2 kgs really a lot? I would have thought it was a relatively small amount, 20,000 points maybe only sorting Melbourne for a weekend... (sorry for the speculation, I am new to your fair city).

yes, 2kg is a lot of ice!!! have you ever seen 2kg of ice?? i certainly haven't and doubt i ever will!

your reasoning isn't very good either.

fair enough, 20,000 points maybe will only sort the whole of melbourne for one weekend.
but think about it this way, that is 20,000 points from ONE dealer, meaning one dealer would supply the whole of melboune ice for the weekend!!

and that's not counting the 200,000 pills, and the 5000 microdots as well!

this one dealer could have supplied the whole of melbourne with enough ice, trips AND pills to make everyone happy for a week or two, maybe even three!!!

i don't know about anyone else, buy to me that sounds like a fairly big bust for one house!!

argghhhhhh, i'm on the floor crying about those microdots!! i couldn't give a crap about the ice and pills.
5000 microdots in the hands of the police is just wrong!

pills and ice come and go everyday, but these microdots are a rare occurance. once they run out, i doubt we will see any microdots for a lllloooonnnnggggggggg time!

^^^^^^
i agree with you, the quantity of a bust isn't as relavent as the fact that this dealer and associates are most likely to quite the game.
Also i have heard that all these busts lately, might see us in a bit of a drought in a couple of weeks :\

Hopefully the police were kind enough to only 'record' 5000 microdots ;)