• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Liver health - *Mega-merged*

Running123

Bluelighter
I have been on percocet, vicodin, and now oxy's for four years on and off. My doctor never suggested having my Liver enzymes checked. He said I would notice liver problems. I have taken so much apap. He finally switched me to oxy's. My question is what are signs of liver problems, how do you even know, can I insist on a enzyme test?

First of all, were you taking these meds as prescribed by your doc? Or were you using them recreationally at higher doses? I'm thinking that if you followed your doctor's instructions, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. APAP is usually only toxic in higher doses.

Were you drinking alcohol while you were on these meds? Because alcohol can increase the toxicity of APAP, and turn therapeutic doses into hepatoxic ones.

The symptoms of liver damage vary alot between people, so don't take this as gospel. Some of the symptoms include jaundice (yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes), abdominal pain (in the liver area), tiredness and lethargy, swollen legs or abdomen and nausea / loss of appetite.

Just remember that these aren't universal. Some people have no symptoms at all, others get a few but don't really notice it, or join all the dots.

Speak to your doctor about your concerns. You have a right to ask for some liver function tests. If you're not happy with your doc's answer, find another one :)

If you want, try using some herbal supplements like milk thistle. These can be very beneficial for your liver. Also, check out the WebMD.com Liver Disease Forum for more info on liver related issues.

Good luck :)

Major jaundice is a symptom of a stressed liver.

Such effects include, yellowing of skin and/or eye color, nausea and/or vomitting, and a general feeling of dysphoria. I'd say the best indicator is a sickly, yellowish complexion or skin tone.

whoops you beat it to me flex;

milk thistle does WONDERS if you're worried about your liver. I suggest the extracts; the ground up herb can pass through your system undigested if you don't take it with enough food.

Thanks for the help. I am prescribed everything by a doctor, don't take it recreationally. However, I do take 4-5 percocets in a couple of hours if I am in a ton of pain. I do drink a glass of wine sometimes, but nothing more. You just hear such bad things about APAP, but the doctors never say anything about it. I will get milk thistle. Thanks.

is liver pain in the lower back ?

i suffer pain in the back lately i have had pain in my lower back not like the pain i am taking the opiates for i take high dose sometimes for breakthrough pain just recently switched to ms contin from oxy all of the sudden i wake up with this new pain it goes away when i take the pain meds just wondering if i am covering up liver problems the pain is lower back on both sides kind of an ache but very uncomfortable any help would be appreciated

Usually people experiencing liver pain will feel it in their lower back on the right side, distinctly in the liver region.

Have you had any other symptoms of liver disfunction (like the ones described above)? Do you have any reason to suspect some problems (eg high doses of APAP, or hep C from shared injecting equipment, or some other pre-existing condition).

Also, I'm thinking that as you were switched from oxy to morphine, the aches / pains you're experiencing might be mild withdrawal symptoms. The only way to know for sure is to speak with your doctor and get a bunch of blood tests.

:)

thanks flex i had normal liver function two years ago no hep that i know of and the pain seems to on both side i definitely have reduced overall daily intake so i am feeling some withdrawel don't want to go into this with my doc for fear of him taking me off the pain meds i think the dose of mscontin that i am taking is not enough to deal with my pain considering my high tolerance i am going back in and switching back to oc and hoping to keep it under control this time i let my usage get way out of control over the last 8 months ended up doing massive amounts like 600-800mg per day at the end i switched to methadone and weaned down in a seven day period then went without for a week but the pain is to strong so i went on to the morphine not happy with it makes me sleepy and does not manage the pain at 100mg twice daily with msir 30mg twice daily also i would rather take 40mg oxy three times daily what i really think i need is 80mg three times but he does not want to go there he is leaning towards duragesic i don't know what to do but it sounds like because the new pain is balanced on both side it is probably not a liver issue

thanks for a quick and help ful response

Piss Color...

I find if my piss even closely looks like canned pop I stop drinking, or taking my Norco's. If I am on Milk Thistle Extract this doesen't happen, but when I drink a lot I get pain in my lower right back.

That Milk Thistle can get expensive, but if I can SEE that it is making a change when I take a piss I know it's effective. Alpha-O is right also, the extract is all that even works for me, and with the extract I take three a day for a month then stop for two weeks, go back on for a month and stop.

I drink like nuts and I used to eat my Norco's like candy (I need them for pain anymore, not recreation) and I will still piss almost clear after a liter of 151, Sky, anything rum or clear really.

Just giving my take on the matter since I drink liquor almost daily and beer everyday, and take my Norco as prescribed still when needed (up to four a day, what a Doc!) but APAP and Alcohol are very bad, and if I don't NEED the Norco I won't take it.

But either way it seems to be fine if I take my daily Multi-Vitamin and some Milk Thistle Extract.

How can I support my liver's health?

Hi all, im new to HL, i have an important Q to ask you guys;

I'm currently have a benzo habit, & as well as codeine habit (this one is not a physical habit, but still to be honest...)

I'm ingesting 30, 20mg codeine pills almost every day for the past few months, + a cuple of benzos.
I'm not taking nothing with APAP or something potentially liver damaging in high doses and always read & aware of what im taking, But, the amount of pills i ingesting is worrying me.

So, is that is something out there that i can take\do to supervise & support my liver's health & immunity? (as well as maybe my appendix, if it's important, too..)

Am I already potentially damaging my liver by ingesting those amounts?

I preety much avoid any alchohol drinks and any thing i know hards on the liver.

P.S; these pills of codeine are small, i can also list the list of inactive ingredients if it'll any help.

Any information abt keeping liver healthy or support it's immunity will be greatly appreciated, thanx you very much guys & gals,

Vick.

Last edited:
Milk thistle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
iMilk Thistle
Silybum marianum
Silybum marianum
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Order: Asterales
Family: Asteraceae
Subfamily: Lactucoideae
Tribe: Cardueae
Genus: Silybum
Adans.
Species

* Silybum eburneum
* Silybum marianum
* Silybum × gonzaloi

This is an article about the true milk thistles. For another plant that is sometimes referred to as a milk thistle, see sow thistle.

Milk thistles are thistles of the genus Silybum Adans., flowering plants of the daisy family (Asteraceae). They are native to the Mediterranean regions of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East.
Thistle Flower
Enlarge
Thistle Flower

Members of this genus grow as annual or biennial plants. The erect stem is tall, branched and furrowed but not spiny. The large, alternate leaves are waxy-lobed, toothed and thorny, as in other genera of thistle. The lower leaves are cauline (= attached to the stem without petiole). The upper leaves have a clasping base. They have large, disc-shaped pink-to-purple, rarely white, solitary flower heads at the end of the stem. The flowers consist of tubular florets. The phyllaries under the flowers occur in many rows, with the outer row with spine-tipped lobes and apical spines. The fruit is a black achene with a white pappus.

Only two species are currently classified in this genus:

* Silybum eburneum Coss. & Dur., known as the Silver Milk Thistle, Elephant Thistle, or Ivory Thistle
o Silybum eburneum Coss. & Dur. var. hispanicum
* Silybum marianum (L.) Gaertner, the Blessed Milk Thistle, which has a large number of other common names, such as Variegated Thistle.

The two species hybridise naturally, the hybrid being known as Silybum × gonzaloi Cantó , Sánchez Mata & Rivas Mart. (S. eburneum var. hispanicum x S. marianum)

A number of other plants have been classified in this genus in the past but have since been relocated elsewhere in the light of additional research.

S. marianum is by far the more widely known species. It is believed to give some remedy for liver diseases(e.g. viral hepatitis) and an extract, silymarin, is used in medicine. The adverse effect of the medicinal use of milk thistle is loose stools.

[edit] See also

* Blessed milk thistle

Don't forget the basics.

2 litres of water and fresh fruits and vegies everyday will help, and you can't go wrong with green tea as well

In addition to the milk thistle, you can get some N-acetylcystine (at GNC or wherever). It is a potent liver cleanser/flushing agent, and is available OTC.

does it just clean the shit thats there at the time?
or can it repair past abuse?

having been consuming way too much alchohol for way too many years, i've been wondering what getting your liver checked involved? is it just going to a doctor for a blood test, or something more?