• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Zolpidem/10mg) - Semi-experienced: Hypnotic or Hallucinogenic?

SinisterMuffin

Bluelighter
Substance:
Zolpidem Tartrate 10mg - oral
Supplemental substances (those taken at/around the same time):
Nortriptyline 10mg (also prescribed to me), Alcohol (½ bottle Mike’s Hard Lemonade), Tobacco (shisha – administered by smoking hookah) – also oral for all

Height: 60 inches (~152 cm)
Weight: 93 pounds (~42 kg)

Previous Experiences:
‘Ecstasy,’ MDMA, LSD, cannabis, DMT, 2C-D, Salvia
__________________________________________________________________________________

Tonight I decided, on a whim, that I might try my hand at a second trip report. This time, I’m writing about my experiences with Zolpidem, for which I was recently (about three months ago) given a prescription by my doctor due to years of insomnia. The label on the bottle reads, “Take one at bedtime as needed.” – my insomnia is a terrible beast that never lets me go, so I have taken the medicine almost every night since receiving the script.

While the medicine would hit me hard and fast when I first began taking it (forcing me to pass out within 15-30 minutes of dosing) I have built up a slow tolerance to it. It no longer hits me as hard so I am able to fight the sedating effects (usually without even realizing I’m doing so) for up to a couple of hours – which, I’ve noticed, has yielded some very intriguing results. Going to try to write this as I go along and see how it goes.

T + 0:00 – Tonight is a late night; I normally take my 10 mg pill around 10 or 11 PM, but this time it is closer to 1:40 AM since I was out at the local card and game shop with friends.

T + 0:05 – Bored at home; been researching different substances all day and came across reports of this medicine, so I decide to try writing a report on it myself. Notice a slight fading of the white Word processor page that has nothing to do with my computer’s brightness level.

T + 0:15 – Boyfriend and I set up the hookah with some pink lemonade shisha (flavored tobacco), with Mike’s Hard Lemonade substituting the water in the base (I opt to drink the rest of the 11 oz bottle – only about half full now). I’m also beginning to feel a slight numbness in my head, and the muscles from my lips back to my jaw feel almost as though they are drooping due to the weight of my skin? Also, my brain feels like it is sagging in my skull. I find this an amusing idea.

T + 0:20 – I definitely feel the slight buzz of my head heightened when I take a pull from the hookah, but then it slowly fades away shortly after.

T + 0:25 – Slightly more aware of my own heartbeat. It is not faster or slower, but feels almost as though each beat is stronger against the inside of my ribcage.

T + 0:30 – My brain on the top of my head definitely feels “fuzzy” to a degree, and that “fuzz” is gradually (slower than a snail’s pace, though) spreading down through the rest of me.

T + 0:38 – I notice my balance is slightly off, as I get up to use the bathroom. Also, there is a slight tension in my temples. I feel as though I am lagging, almost. Blinking seems slower and actions (reading/ writing this) seem slower than normal, though I am not sure if that is just my perception or if I actually am moving more slowly. Tracers are beginning to show up, as I notice when I pick up the bottle to take a swig and set it back down. They stay only briefly, though.

T + 0:45 – I find the silence of the room (boyfriend and I are just sitting on our computers, passing the pipe between us) to be too deafening so I turn on a random playlist I have saved to provide background noise. I am beginning to have more difficulty stringing together my sentences (on paper – verbal communication is unaffected thus far).

T + 0:52 – Still able to concentrate on making smoke rings with the hookah, though expressing thoughts to boyfriend they become slightly muddled when I speak. Though I know the idea I want to get across, it is difficult to convey it verbally.

T + 0:56 – Suspicious that writing this trip report is keeping me too grounded to get some of the stronger effects I have felt in the past. Still not feeling sedated, however, so I will continue the report – perhaps there is just more of a delay this evening.

T + 1:00 – Movement in my peripheral vision; if I stare at something textured (like the floor or ceiling) for long enough, movement begins. Almost like “breathing” of objects on acid, but not quite. Possibly attributed to double-vision, perhaps? Though I do not see it with everything, so this is doubtful.

T + 1:40 – Bored. Getting visuals in patterns is fairly forced. I am not feeling much of a body buzz – it seems that the shisha is diminishing the effects I normally would be feeling around now. (The other night it seemed to potentiate and increase the intensity of the effects when I smoked hookah after taking a Zolpidem. Perhaps I should give this more time???)

T + 1:46 – Still bored. Still having to stare for a few seconds before the ceiling will move; even harder to get the floor to show movement. At this point, I don’t even feel the strange droopiness I had in my head earlier. Contemplating dosing with another 5mg because, at this rate, I don’t know that I’ll even be able to sleep (since that’s what it’s technically for – getting me to sleep).

T + 1:50 – Split one 10mg pill in half and took only one half. Put the other half back in the script bottle.

T + 2:16 – Finally beginning to notice some of the side effects I’ve had previously… though I was expecting them to have started 30 min to 1 hr before now… Words on the page, as I type this, and words I’m reading on the forum, have started to slowly float and swim around on the invisible surface layer, which lies under the text and over the background colors of the page. Sentences, obviously, become a bit less coherent now. Sedative effects are crawling just below the surface of my skin and spreading to my extremities now. Slight tingly feelings in my arms and legs – though very subtle.

T + 2:21 – Feel like a fog is slowly seeping into my brain, making it heavy and causing my head to feel heavy/harder to hold up. Eyes feel droopier, though not quite sleepy. Tracers more pronounced, now. Though not as strong as I have seen them on other substances. Back muscles feeling tight. Closed eyes for possible detection of CEVs. Rather than seeing shapes or patterns or color like I do with other substances (well, they seem to be there, but very mild – almost unnoticeable), I often feel on these CEVs that I have stepped into a movie or something. They aren’t colors or patterns, for me. They are me seeing people doing things, or hearing people speaking to each other – almost like a dream, although I am not yet asleep and can still make the decision to open my eyes.

T + 2:35 – Movement has become less forced now. I stare at the ceiling for a moment, but it seems to have been moving before I looked. Movement is faster – texture of ceiling seem to bind together as they move and look like vines. Ceiling fan even seemed to warp and bring its fan-blades closer to its middle. Everything seems to have a slightly darker glow around it.

T + 2:43 – Walls do move a little bit, though barely textured. It looks as though they are slowly melting, like candle wax. Tracers more well-defined. This is the point, though, where the sedative effects become more pronounced. I do not want to fight the effects much longer – I don’t want to pull an all-nighter on this stuff, so to speak, so I’ll save that for another time.

T + 3:05 – Going to play with the effects a little more and then go to sleep. Will try to remember anything significant, and write that tomorrow.

Next Day (this morning) –
As expected, I barely recall the events of the evening without the help of this report once it reaches a certain point (Zolpidem has a known side-effect of amnesia while it is in effect). Most of my memory becomes fragmented close to the T + 1:00 point, though I’ve pieced it together more easily than normal due to this written account – usually I have to rely on my boyfriend to tell me if I did anything strange or acted silly the next day. Other than not remembering things well, Zolpidem never has much of a “hangover” for me. It knocks me out for anywhere from 6 – 9 hours, and once I wake up, I’m awake and that’s it. Rarely do I ever feel groggy in the mornings anymore.

Last night I never felt the mild euphoria that I have sometimes gotten while on Zolpidem, and attribute that to my boredom/bad mood I was experiencing prior to dosing. It may also be that, due to the nature of my trip report, I was observing things from too scientific of a viewpoint and paying too close attention to them for it to ever fully affect my mental state in the way it normally does.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Conclusion:
I may try to write a report on this again sometime, although it will have to be ‘during the experience’ rather than the day after again. As stated before, it gives me a minor case of amnesia during its effects, so I would not be able to remember enough for a good report, I believe. Because of the heavy sedative effects and very minor visuals that only come when pushed, I don’t advise others using this as a replacement for psychedelics or anything…but for anyone else who has been prescribed with it, maybe you can have a bit more fun with it like I sometimes do.

Something else I also feel is important to note may be the fact that I also take 10mg of my other prescription Nortriptyline at approximately the same time as Zolpidem each night. It is a tricyclic antidepressant and may increase the hallucinogenic effects of the Z – not sure, though, as I have read other trip reports with similar information before. Either way, stay safe and happy dreaming, all!

Another great report by you ms. muffin :) I have never taken a z-drug before but I have heard the visions can be a bit scary and realistic. Thanks for this entry.

Thanks very much, TOS! The visions normally don't get too scary...as long as the lights are on or I have my eyes closed. I do know there have been 3 -5 times where I've had visuals that scared me in the dark (shadows beckoning to me and such); felt like a small child due to the level of fright. Thankfully my boyfriend was there to comfort me each time, though...

Also, small update to the entry: I took my Zolpidem late again last night - so I decided to take 2 (equaling 20mg; twice my normal dose) to try and get the sedative effects to kick in more quickly. Instead, I think it just made the visuals more realistic! Thankfully no frightening ones, though...mainly just seeing the floor's fibers growing up toward me, looking like flowers, so I tried to pick them. XD My boyfriend thought I was crazy!!

However, I've definitely got that groggy mental AND physical hangover today (feeling not only ill - slight nausea and muscle pain all over, but also very depressed and agitated) so I am going to avoid taking 20mg ever again. It didn't even sedate me faster - still took 2 hours to knock me out. ><

But, yeah, I thought that information would be semi-important since I claimed no hangover in the original report. Also, I realize now that I actually took 15mg in the original report (10mg at first, then a 5mg redose an hour later)...do you think you could change the name of the report to reflect that for me?

Last edited:
I love Zolpidem hallucinations. The hallucinations can be weird and intense, but the calming effects if zolpidem just makes it a wonderful feeling. You feel 100% secure, snug and safe despite seeing shadows moving around and hearing murmuring voices.

I often feel on these CEVs that I have stepped into a movie or something. They aren’t colors or patterns, for me. They are me seeing people doing things, or hearing people speaking to each other – almost like a dream, although I am not yet asleep and can still make the decision to open my eyes.
I get this every time I take Zolpidem. I can lie in bed with my eyes closed and just feel as though I'm in a busy room filled with people at times.

I wish I could get a prescription for zolpidem. Not only is it great for sleep, it's great at putting you to sleep in a wonderful mood.

I agree!! I always get that slight euphoria and mellow calm from Zolpidem. A loopy, lopsided smile (as well as a loopy, lopsided way of thinking - lol) and go to sleep in a good mood pretty much every night.

Sometimes the shadows scare me (I start thinking like a small child normally does of the dark; strange), but I usually just enjoy the hallucinations with the light on and when the light goes off I close my eyes to avoid them. ^^;;

Strangely i dont tend to get hallucinations from zolpidem
and the few times i have, they resemble what happens when you stay up for too long on amphetamines...seeing people in the dark, and out of the corner of your eyes and whatnot.
Oh yeah, that and the main thing zolpidem has done to me is you'll stare into space at an object...and the object will get bigger/smaller, like it'll grow or shrink..
strange

Been using Zolpidem now for a long time. And with much dissapointment my hallucinations seems to have stopped.

I miss it. Was also seeing things moving out of the corner of my eye. And funny enough children also.