• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

xanax (benzos) vs alcohol

g_dan1

Bluelighter
Hi. So far i ve had some expeirience with xanax. I usually take it 2 times a week max (usually less than that) in minimal doses. about 0.5mg when i get anxiety, and about 0.5 mg to mix with alcohol. when I have anxiety from adderall 0.5 mg is somewhat helpful for that. I noticed that xanax doesn't have a strong effect on me. Today I took 2.5mg over 3hr period. I'm only feeling comfortable relaxation. Nothing crazy: no imapriment at all, no blackouts, no slurring. I am functioning fully normal on 2.5mg, which is from what i know a pretty high dose. My tolerance is very minimal and probably close to 0.
Alcohol in the other hand has a very noticeable effect on me. 2-4 shots or beers make give me this nice care free feeling combined with a feeling of excitement and euphoria. Music is much better on alcohol than on benzos. Alcohol gives me some sort of "high" similar to weed in some way, where you get dizzy, tunnel vision, and get this heady feeling.

Can someone please explain why xanax barely affects me and alcohol works fine? I ve heard many people get totally messed up on doses less than 2mg and i can barely feel any decent sedation from 2.5 mg. Is there something wrong with me? do i lack some enzymes or something?
Thank you very much.

Do you have a high alcohol tolerance? That could be a factor, or if you take adderall everyday that'll probably negate the sedative effect of xanax.

no my tolerance is very low for alcohol and even lower for xanax. I also have klonopin but only tried it once.

Why you say that yout tolerance is very low to xanax? I mean it seems more likely you have a high tolerance to it.

2.5 mg is a pretty decent dose and you should be pretty messed up, the thing with xanax is you can take them and feel and swear your completely sober but chances are your slurring your words or maybe even moving slower than usual. Xanax highs aernt like opiate highs where you can totally tell the difference. I've seen people take a few, swear they're sober and take a few more when in reality and watching from the outside they were already messed up from the first few.

I take xanax daily a d know when they've kicked in and I've taken them for around two years and still don't take that dose unless in the throes of panic

I take xanax very rarely and usually in very small amounts. Also i know im not messed up from 2.5 mg cuz no one arouns me notices anything.

Alcohol gives me a much more noticeable buzz

Wait you say xanax doesn't work for you because it doesn't make you feel like alcohol? Usually benzos aren't suposed to be a recreational/fun expiriense like alcohol, they are just suposed to take your anxienty away and relax you, and xanax does it for you as you say.

I would be real careful just chomping down on Xanax. Afaik you can build a tolerance even from just taking it 2 times a week. Xanax can also go from not feeling anything to real messed up very quickly so be careful my man.

Stay safe and have fun.

OP, I'm not being judgmental here, but you're completely mistaking the nature of Benzodiazepines, I feel. If I swallowed 5mg Alprazolam (Xanax) right now on an empty stomach and sat down at my computer, you know what I'd say? "This really isn't effecting me at all, why am I not getting fucked up by this?"

The first time I ever used a Benzodiazepine was probably when I was 14. I had already used many different drugs; stimulants, Opioids, Cannabis etc. so knew what a high felt like. An acquaintance of mine asked me if I wanted some Xanax and I had only ever heard of them, but knew that they were potentially powerful from the stories I heard. Well, I took ~2mg with my friend and we drove around for a bit. After 2 hours, I said, "Man, be honest with me, did you just give me fake shit?"

I didn't feel a thing. This was the drug that caused people to break into houses while essentially unconscious, right? How does it have no effect on me at all. Well, I decided to take 2mg more. Wouldn't you know it, I still wasn't impaired at all. The thing is though, I was seriously impaired. My car was parked sideways in my driveway with my brights on (during the day) and one of the rear doors left open. I was the only one left in the car.

So, yea, I had absolutely no inkling of how impaired I was. Such is the nature of Benzodiazepines for most people and it's not a new phenomenon at all. This is part of what can make these drugs a very dangerous trap. You're not intoxicated, so you think, so you take more and more, then you blackout, then bad shit happens.

So, in short, you probably are "messed up", just not in the way you'd want to be. You might think that Benzodiazepines are highly recreational substances, seeing as how they are controlled and regulated in a similar fashion to all of our other favorite drugs, but the truth is that for most people, Benzodiazepines actually aren't recreational substances at all. They don't produce euphoria typically, they reduce anxiety and numb the mind and senses. For someone with crippling anxiety, you can see how taking a Benzodiazepine might be a truly euphoric experience, but for your average joe, they're jut not recreational.

I'm sorry, but I really want to reiterate for the final time, you are intoxicated and impaired, you are just not aware of it, partially because Benzodiazepine numb your senses, making you less aware of things in general.

Thank you for your response Keif. That peobably explains why i dont feel much besides mild relaxation. But i atill feel like i have a naturally high tolerance to benzos, because when i took 2mg with no tolerance none of my sober friends were able to tell i was on something.

I also heard that benzos are very similar to alcohol, yet alcohol gives me a very noticable "fucked up" feeling and buzz. Do you know why is that?
Thanks again for your explanation

Benzos work on the gaba receptors, while alcohol hits gaba, serotonin, dopamine, and others which gives the calming effects, as well as the euphoria and f'ed up feeling. For me at least, i've never felt messed up on benzos, just that I am more relaxed and able to function when I'm having anxiety, it calms it down.

That explains it. How evident is the cross-tolerance between benzos and alcohol?

Benzos and alcohol are somewhat cross tolerant because they both work on your gaba receptors. I've been RX'd xanax, kolonopin, diazepam, and lorezapam for 7 years. Obviously not all at once but nonetheless. Xanax is one of those drugs that you underestimate. You may not think you're feeling them so you proceed to take more. Next thing you know you're waking up not remembering anything. They have no recreational value for me other than helping with my extreme panic disorder. So if you're not experiencing anything on 2.5mg you probably won't unless it's a larger dose which will more than likely just put you to sleep.
-BHOmb