Workouts?

Hunterdog

Bluelighter
Okay, I know this has got little to do with Steroids so I'll understand if the moderators erase it but I'd like to poll the posters here and ask how many sets you usually do. Personally I've been doing four sets but I'm thinking of cutting back to three so that I've got time for more different exercises at each training session. Also, just wondering if there's significant benefits either way.

It really depends on the exercise for me.

At one end, I'll do pyramids for the big lifts. So for example, when deadlifting I'll do 10, 5, 3, 1, 3, 5, 8. So 7 sets.

At the far other end, if I'm doing something like tricep pushdowns, I'll probably just do 2 sets of 15.

For dumbbell shoulder press, I'll do 12, 12, 8.

For reverse military press, I'll do 4 sets of 10.

And even then, some workouts I might do 15, 10, 6 for dumbbell shoulder press.

So for each exercise, I have pretty much a unique set/rep design, and on top of that I periodically change them up individually.

It sounds crazy and much, much more complicated than just doing 3x10 for everything (for example). But really, it's all what works best for you. I take a journal to the gym, so I remember it all. But ya, again mine's pretty all over the place.

I vary all over the place as well. Sometimes its a strict 4x12 but usually I just do what I feel like or what I get to before failure.

I like the philosophy of 10 set of 3. Huge muscle growth. Especially since I don't drink protein shakes.

shit - I've tried everything from doggcrapp, german high volume, HIT, but for me personally I like to stick w/basics for everything, if done right - deadlifts, bent over bb rows, pullups / lat pull downs (or I find tbar rows work well for me on getting my lats also). You are talking about 3 exercises, 2 of the three are staples of power lifting, but are absolutely the best way to get a solid, thick core to continue your goals. Same w/any other muscle group - don't reinvent the wheel until you hit a sticking point and it's not your diet / gear.

I just stick to the basic compound lifts i.e bench bress, deadlifts, squats, etc... making sure I go as heavy as possible without risking injury and throwing in isolation exercises as needed...moderate intensity cardio is done every workout day...

I vary between 3 and 5 sets (or more if pyramiding/drop sets) and usually 5-12 reps. It depends what my goals are in the short term (strength, size or fat loss).