• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

withdrawal from mainly booze

sade

Greenlighter
I've been drinking for 12 years from morning to night. I withdrew myself with valium and hash and am on day 9. The valium has gone still have some hash almost went and bought a drink today but glad I'm didn't.

Will the cravings go away? It's more the effect of booze I like rather than the taste.

Was also trying to get in touch with a neighbour to score some crack because I deleted my numbers.

Help! Thanks.

Sade, I completely relate. I manage to rack up anywhere from six months to a year off booze between binges now. The cravings will diminish over time, you've just got to find healthy ways to fill the time you used to drink. I also recommend spending some time in recovery support groups early on until you have a firm footing in sobriety.

Last edited:
As with most addictions, the cravings will probably become less intense with time but will likely never fully go away. Hopefully you can develop some good habits and your desire to do other activities will outweigh your desire to get fucked up. They say a substance abuse disorder is never cured but can be managed.

I'm about 4 months sober and just this past week started having some pretty intense dreams about using. I still find myself drifting off into a day dream about how nice it might be to get high. I have been able to talk myself down by thinking about the whole experience, not just the high but what I'll do after I get high and it starts to wear off. Also it's been really nice having a clear head and being able to think straight.

I decided to go back to school which gives me a reason not to get wrecked. Also I've mended a lot of relationships with my family and am just starting to gain their trust back which is something I really don't want to lose again. Weighing the positive and negative outcomes seems to really help me keep a level head about it all. I still think it would be nice to get high but the consequences just don't seem to be worth it to me anymore.

Cocaine will almost without a doubt make it far more difficult to stay away from booze.

Do you have any support IRL OP? Like were you working with a doctor to get the diazepam? Naltrexone and baclofen are two meds that can really help with alcohol cravings.