• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Will opioids ever go out of fashions?

FlyingDutchman342

Bluelighter
Yesterday, I saw an article about barbiturates. These drugs were very popular and widely used by all social classes from ca. 1950-1970. After that methaqualone replaced them for around 10 years and use went down at the end of the 1970s.

Nowadays, barbs are quite rare in North America and their use is almost non-existent in Europe. Could opioids/opiates/heroin also get out of fashion one day? Or do you think they will always stay popular as for example alcohol?

The drugs you mentioned didn't go out of fashion, instead they were banned because they were abused so often, were so dangerous compared to what they were replaced by. And since back then HR wasn't really a thing, and negligence of doctors & pharmacists (by not stressing the importance of not mixing these pharms with other downers), people were, even more than today, ignorant to the dangers that come with certain interactions.

I doubt opiates will ever go out of 'fashion'. Because they are amazing for their intended purpose, and don't harm the body.
AD(H)D meds on the other hand, well; I imagine they will find less interesting (recreational) drugs, that still increase focus/concentration (or make the necessary changes in how education is given, like by making it less dull & more interactive than right now, which in itself should help a great deal with staying focussed on 1 task.

opiates do go in and out of 'fashion' in the sense that their popular use tends to waver between stigma and more widespread use.

heroin was quite popular and common in certain 'trendy' circles in the early 1990s, for instance (in fashion and in music cultures, specifically) and there was some kind of 'glamour' attached to heroin use in some people's eyes.

amongst a lot of people of certain ages and social demographics, heroin is highly stigmatised, but its popularity and social acceptability tends to increase in times of economic hardship.
they will never cease being used (medicinally, to self-medicate or "recreationally"), but the stimga attached to opiate use comes and goes to varying degrees.
i think the current perception of widespread opiate use in north america is influenced by both economic downturn and the popular use of pharmaceutical opiates which led to many people developing a taste, and an addiction to strong opiates.

You're confusing two completely different terms. Opioids represent a class of drugs that may be chemically unrelated, but all bind to (at least) the mu-opioid receptor (MOR), thus producing the typical opioid effects. Barbiturates or quaaludes are two sub-classes of GABA-AR positive allosteric modulators (PAM), wherein they share chemical structures and pharmacodynamical profiles. The fact that barbs and ludes went out of fashion had much to do with the advent of benzodiazepines, which are still GABA-AR PAMs, but their pharmacology is a little different, making them somewhat safer, especially in OD. And oh boy, benzos are as popular as anything.

That is to say, substances that hit the MOR are unlikely to ever go out of fashion just for the simple reason that they're fucking amazing. Some chemical sub-classes may go out of fashion for various reasons, like phenylpiperidines a la pethidine, or fentanyl analogues when better strong-affinity agonists are developed, but opioids as a pharmacological drug class will probably never fade even one bit. Just think about how long people have been using opium - morphine, codeine - for. Opioids are among the oldest medicinal and recreational drugs used by humankind.

You're confusing two completely different terms. Opioids represent a class of drugs that may be chemically unrelated, but all bind to (at least) the mu-opioid receptor (MOR), thus producing the typical opioid effects. Barbiturates or quaaludes are two sub-classes of GABA-AR positive allosteric modulators (PAM), wherein they share chemical structures and pharmacodynamical profiles. The fact that barbs and ludes went out of fashion had much to do with the advent of benzodiazepines, which are still GABA-AR PAMs, but their pharmacology is a little different, making them somewhat safer, especially in OD. And oh boy, benzos are as popular as anything.

That is to say, substances that hit the MOR are unlikely to ever go out of fashion just for the simple reason that they're fucking amazing. Some chemical sub-classes may go out of fashion for various reasons, like phenylpiperidines a la pethidine, or fentanyl analogues when better strong-affinity agonists are developed, but opioids as a pharmacological drug class will probably never fade even one bit. Just think about how long people have been using opium - morphine, codeine - for. Opioids are among the oldest medicinal and recreational drugs used by humankind.

Yeah. science!

well it's been like 8.000 years and people still sell their ass for them so my guess is no, they will not go out of fashion.

It's kind of hard to regulate something you can grow yourself, I mean pot regulations have worked so well.

As others have said I doon't think it's a matter of fashion, it's a matter of law. I mean there's no denying than opiod/ts make you feel amazing right? But the usefulness of them at the moment apparently outweighs the negatives in the medicinal world. You never know what will happen if there's a ban over all opiods but i don't think that much will change apart from the fact people in pain will have to live with it rather than be treated.

I don't even think its law. Its just human need. We want to feel good, especially when life is hard. Where there's a will there's a way.

Barbiturates didn't go out of fasion they were upgraded... to benzos. And people have been addicted ever since.

Not unless humans somehow evolved a complete resistance to the effects of opiates. The poppy plant is a hardy plant, pretty much anyone can grow them.

Opiates are too engrained into society to ever be overshadowed by another drug.

It's unlikely but it could happen in the future. We might find much better ways to treat pain, as opiods are pretty addictive for the most part, many doctors even refuse to prescribe them nowadays. Opiates (and more recently opioids) have been used for a very long time for some populations, but there're also cultures who didn't even knew about their existence.

We may also find better ways to archive a similar kind of high/sensation, who knows.

But yeah I agree with most comments here, the mu-opioid receptor is very important and plays a huge role in managing pain (both physical and psychological).

Maybe in the future most drugs could be replaced with devices that stimulate certain receptors in the brain. We can already do something like this but it?s limited due to our lack of understanding of the human brain.

I honestly hope that never happens, simply because a technology meant for good, would quickly be perverted and used in warfare, any country would drool over the thought of soldiers who don't get tired or feel pain.

^Its inevitable, the more we learn about the human brain the less privacy of thought we will have. As interesting and exciting as the future of neurochemisty will be i think i?d rather live in a world with a certain level of ignorance to the functions of the mind.

Maybe i?m wrong and the brain is irreducibly complex to the point where our measurements will change the properties of the system too much to get a clear picture of what?s really going on behind the curtains.

Too enjoyable to get out of fashion. Hard to replace them with anything.

Well trump is going to build a wall to stop the heroin from coming into the country from mexico. problem solved. people won't use them anymore

^^
Trump is sooo right. He also suggested sentencing all drug pushers to death, that has worked so well on the Philippines and will of course make the US a drug free nation (NOT).

If three letter folk keep tainting the drug supply they will go out of fashion.

I certainly haven't dared use dope in probably 3+ years it's all fent (good ol North East USA)