• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Why the HECK!?

doubleheadedeagle

Bluelighter
I destroyed and damaged my body and my brain on my most fragile time, all my teenage years I have been addicted.
I quit weed after 5 years of smoking it, I quit benzos after months of regular extreme dose usage, I quit codeine after a year of hell.

Why the heck cant I quit smoking? I want to live healthy why cant I do this even knowing that I quit a far more addictive substance like codeine?

Different strokes. I think tobacco can be a more insidious addiction since it's (relatively) socially acceptable and legal. There's a strong psychological urge to smoking too - have one when you wake up, after a meal, after sex, when stressed, on break at work, etc. The physical addiction only lasts a week or so, but those mental associations can be much harder to change. In my experience, you'll have a much better chance of breaking the habit if you stay aware of the urges.

What worked for me to kick the cancer sticks was the right nicotine replacement regime, the right mindset in that i learnt to accept that the nicotine cravings no matter how intense and stressful will pass eventually. The first month is horrendous and half the battle is getting into your head that you hate the act of smoking while focusing on the money you will save not being a addict to a packet of cigarettes. What worked for me initially was wearing a full strength patch on each arm while also chewing 4mg pieces of nicotine gum when the cravings really hit. I know that sounds expensive for all that nicotine replacement items but the craves will pass after the first few weeks and then you can wear one nicotine patch and cut out the gum once you get over that craving for a smoke first thing in the morning, after a meal, after sex, before bed etc.

At the start try to avoid alcohol or at least avoid sitting in the smokers section of where every you drink alcohol. If you cave in and relapse please do not give up giving up. Most smokers who quit have a slip and don't be surprised if it take several attempts to get to the point you have not had a cigarette for a year or two and you are simply over smoking.

I quit for the most part in 2009 but it wasn't till approximately 2012 that i got over smoking and ceased bumming the occasional smoke off friends.

This all might sound extreme but i was a very heavy smoker of cigarettes sometimes two packs of 30's a day so if i can quit anyone can!.

I destroyed and damaged my body and my brain on my most fragile time, all my teenage years I have been addicted.
I quit weed after 5 years of smoking it, I quit benzos after months of regular extreme dose usage, I quit codeine after a year of hell.

Why the heck cant I quit smoking? I want to live healthy why cant I do this even knowing that I quit a far more addictive substance like codeine?

The fact is that you can quit. You're having a difficult time, granted, but there are options. It's also a factor that nicotine and MAOI's in tobacco are extremely addictive (to some; I have never had a tobacco problem). Have you considered chantix? Are you exercising?