• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Why isn't suboxone helping?

tara1986

Greenlighter
Hey all. I have used Bluelight for years, every time I have questions about my sobriety, and it is a really comfortable place. So many many thanks to all of you.
This is my first post, so here goes..
I fell off the wagon after 3 years of sobriety (always on a maintenance dose of Suboxone via a doctor) I moved from Texas to Ohio and find it so much harder to get a good sub doctor, and opiates were much easier to come by..
46 hours ago I took my last perc, and started loperamide at a 50 mg dose (25 2-mg pills) and I knew I couldn't start on my subs for at least 24 hours because precipated wd's are the devil. I waited the whole 24 hours and took 4mg sub yesterday at 24-miserable hours in. Nothing happened. No better, no worse. Just the same. I waited 2 more hours and took 4 mg more Sub. Still nothing. Just getting by on the loperamide, which if anyone wanders if it works. It does.
Very groggy, depressed, sluggish, no energy whatsoever feeling, but I can sleep. So now at 46 hours into WD, I have taken 48 mg Sub. Still nothing. No better, no worse. I honestly think the loperamide is still holding me off of complete misery. It's the 4th of July, and I just want to feel human.
Advice? Sub worked WONDERS for me before, so I know what it can do. .
Using opiates is not an option. This time I fell off the wagon, I was spending $300+/day and refuse to go that route, although it's seeming more and more tempting.... I know lope doesn't cross the BBB, SO, WHY IS THE SUB NOT WORKING???? HELLLLPPPP.

The loperamide is probably masking the withdrawal symptoms - high doses are very powerful and do indeed lead to some crossing the BBB. I'd suggest not taking any more loperamide and using the buprenorphine as prescribed.

It is important to understand that loperamide and bupe are doing battle here. Good thing you hadn't been loping for a long period of time or you would have had a gnarly precipitated withdrawal. When playing doctor do more research.

I mean, loperamide doesn't interact with buprenorphine in the way full agonists will, but it - if nothing else - causes unpleasant side effects at these kinds of doses, even if one is already tolerant.

I'll be interested to hear what the OP does and how it works out.

Buprenorphine doesn't help everyone, sadly. The partial agonism might not be enough for some people.