• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Why is the misery of heroin addiction so romanticized in media?

I used to go to a private doc. It used to be a lot better but after covid it turned into a mess and we are the only government clinic in Orlando, so they are the only ones that received the government grants for free methadone. This led to mass exodus' from the other clinics to ours. I waited 3hrs the other day. It is usually an HR +/- a bit.

I'm hoping to get a couple of take homes in a couple of weeks.

At least in countries like Canada and Australia we have the option of getting methadone from regular pharmacies.

In the US dedicated clinics are the only option iirc.

Man that sucks. 3 hours is bs. I hope you at least get takeaways soon. <3

I feel a lot more grateful now for being able to quickly pick up my methadone within minutes of showing up.

Even the free public clinics I never had to wait 3 hours. Hour and a half, maybe 2 at the absolute most.

God they were badly run. When I first started going they had no system to manage the queue. You basically had to ask who was the last person to arrive and wait for them to go in. But with the queue as long as it is inevitably someone forgets or doesn't see their person go in or something.

Finally after months of complaints they put in a ticket system. That then came with its own problems of people missing their call (people would often wait outside where they could smoke) or trading tickets or whatever.

It was just a fucking mess.

The pharmacy I get my methadone from now, at most there's only ever maybe 3 people ahead of me causing me to wait maybe 20 minutes. And even showing up right on opening it's still rare that it's that long. Soooo much better.

At least in countries like Canada and Australia we have the option of getting methadone from regular pharmacies.

In the US dedicated clinics are the only option iirc.

Man that sucks. 3 hours is bs. I hope you at least get takeaways soon. <3

I feel a lot more grateful now for being able to quickly pick up my methadone within minutes of showing up.

Even the free public clinics I never had to wait 3 hours. Hour and a half, maybe 2 at the absolute most.

God they were badly run. When I first started going they had no system to manage the queue. You basically had to ask who was the last person to arrive and wait for them to go in. But with the queue as long as it is inevitably someone forgets or doesn't see their person go in or something.

Finally after months of complaints they put in a ticket system. That then came with its own problems of people missing their call (people would often wait outside where they could smoke) or trading tickets or whatever.

It was just a fucking mess.

The pharmacy I get my methadone from now, at most there's only ever maybe 3 people ahead of me causing me to wait maybe 20 minutes. And even showing up right on opening it's still rare that it's that long. Soooo much better.
I was at the same clinic from 2002-2008 and the wait was never more than 30 mins. I heard it only got ridiculous after covid but it has been horrible on random days. I should only have to come a couple of times a week here soon. I had a private doc who gave me a months script for 40mg a day but I blew that and it was never enough and I always ran out early. Hoping things workout because it's been tough. Basically the way you described the free public clinic is mine but you have to wait from 30mins - 3hrs.

I wish I just had to go to the pharmacy.

I was at the same clinic from 2002-2008 and the wait was never more than 30 mins. I heard it only got ridiculous after covid but it has been horrible on random days. I should only have to come a couple of times a week here soon. I had a private doc who gave me a months script for 40mg a day but I blew that and it was never enough and I always ran out early. Hoping things workout because it's been tough. Basically the way you described the free public clinic is mine but you have to wait from 30mins - 3hrs.

I wish I just had to go to the pharmacy.

What, what do you mean you blew through it?

I assume they didn't give you a month worth of methadone right?

Here I don't even see the prescription other than when I see my doctor writing it out or occasionally when discussing with the pharmacist when I'm getting my take aways around public holidays (the prescription kinda doubles as a dosing calendar/record).

Other than that the doc just mails the script to the pharmacy and I never see it.

What, what do you mean you blew through it?

I assume they didn't give you a month worth of methadone right?

Here I don't even see the prescription other than when I see my doctor writing it out or occasionally when discussing with the pharmacist when I'm getting my take aways around public holidays (the prescription kinda doubles as a dosing calendar/record).

Other than that the doc just mails the script to the pharmacy and I never see it.

I got a months worth of pills and always ran out early because I took more than 40mg a day. I eventually tested positive for heroin and cocaine so I lost that doctor.

Prior to heroin opium had a certain glamour about in the 18th and 19th centuries. In part because famous literary figures indulged in it.

Mainstream society is naive and constantly needs feeding distractions. Among those distractions are completely distorted, superficial and romantic attachments to certain aspects of society/life in general. It's just like people who want to be seen in a Starbucks window with their expensive Apple laptop. In their mind they are fulfilling their obligations to society and adhering to a particular role but really they have no idea, no grasp, no deeper understanding of what their role really is beneath the one they are attempting to play. They focus on the romance, the fluff, the surface impressions of what they perceive is what it means to be in a Starbucks window. What they imagine is only 1% of the story and in order to fill the 99% out they have to get to the point where they realize there is far more to what they are doing than sitting in a Starbucks window to play a role.

It's the same with society's hollow attachment to drug culture. People look at the surface, are sold an idea and then seek to believe the entire story can be explained by what they see in pop culture. It's also probably why most people don't understand nor want to understand what drug use/abuse actually entails, because it's far more convenient thinking it's like a movie they watched because, hey, it's a distraction from reality. And that's what most people in today's world are hooked on.

Because before the misery grips you, H. is really, really fucking nice?
And because altered states aren't just a thing confined to humans, but a shitload of animals chew leaves and bark and shit getting high.

And honestly, how can anything beat heroin?

We romanticize violence and warfare, alcohol, cocaine, weed - fuck, we do it to life and that shit is worse than any skag or coke or benzo.

Writers like William S Burroughs who couldn't write a coherent sentence to save his life, but becane a legend just because he was a junkie.

Oh @F.U.B.A.R. , you disappoint me!

you can get methadone from almost all pharmacies in the US.. costs about 20 US for a month at 80mg a day. You just need a script.

A GP can only script 40mg.

I honestly believe that has changed, though since then. And even if they technically can, you will unlikely find anyone but your life long doctor to script it. Sadly not many if any feel good docs around.

Heroin is romanticized since its a good drug. Anyone that has fumbled their cooker since so sick, hit that vein, and feel your body transform knows.

IV is romanticized, though. It makes for a good movie. Even so most heroin use is not IV.

you can get methadone from almost all pharmacies in the US.. costs about 20 US for a month at 80mg a day. You just need a script.

For pain relief yes. But as part of a maintenance program you gotta go through a clinic.

Like others have said I think it has to do with all of the famous artists that have lived and died on heroin that has created it. But I don't think it's any more romanticized than weed or cocaine.

Also people like things that are dangerous and exciting.

Nothing more excited than pressing the plunger and playing russian roulette.

Especially here in the East Coast US, the shit is all fentanyl and killing people in epidemic proportions. And it's a bear to get off of it. The shit is no joke.