• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants WHY? is adderall an absolute godsend for me for any withdrawal from GABA to Opioid

lunchbox333

Bluelighter
Genuinely curious.....

from both common sense and search engine usage it seems that amphetamine salts (Adderall IR ) for almost any withdrawal besides speed withdrawal to be a probable failure if not nightmare, if not from the obvious over excitement of an already ultra flexed glutamate response, than from the inevitable crash...

Now I actually do have diagnosed ADHD, so theres that. but it's not a medication I'm currently taking, or a disorder that is particular bothersome on its own at this point in my life. its a medication that does ultimately make me function better wether I enjoy it or not ( I'm not necessarily a fan of it at all on its own. or any speeds besides the occasional MDMA, thought clear was rather boring also- they're fun but zero interest in impulsive use ) In high school when it was scripted to me I completely ignored it, so even then wasnt a fan. and haven't used it in about 10 years until a few weeks ago only to be surprised with its off brand properties. . this recent go around was is not a regular basis, just a score off a friend here and there. maybe 8 or 10 20mgIR in the past month or two, sporadic few day binges when hurting only really.

so that may ADHD explain a bit of it, but not enough. you'd expect the awareness increase, the anxiety increase, the itchy - rather tensed up feeling from the adderall on its own, plus the myriad of its typical stimulate features to be absolutely horrendous on a opioid or Benzo withdrawal. but it's so far proved to be (obviously, too good) very good at helping these symptoms. its helped for Gabapentin nightmare, Benzo withdrawal, and now most surprisingly opioid withdrawal...... like seriously 10mg IR made day 2 off a nice binge of some proper gear literally nonexistent.... I also don't get bad stim come downs as I haven't really abused them too much yet, all I felt where the withdrawal symptoms slowly come back. sooooo, what could be going on for my neurochemistry here for adderall to help me so much besides the fact that I am an ADHD individual ?

Last edited:
I have used adderall for painkiller withdrawals several times and it is a double edged sword. It helps me not feel withdrawal but the crash seems to be far worse when I'm wd'ing from opiates and utilize adderall. Imo adderall is stronger than people give it credit for and I've definitely abused it in the past and had mild depression episodes, but it is quite a good drug and not as soul consuming as opiates. take care

Don't know. Some people seem to benefit greatly from stims during opioid withdrawals, some say it helps but it's a double edge sword (like GetMeOutOfThisCrap said) and others say it doesn't help them at all.

I think it's all just too complicated really to know for sure why beyond that saying not everyone reacts the same. Maybe the geniuses over in Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion have some insight?

I don't know if having ADHD has any bearing on this. I do not suffer from ADHD but I find stimulants extremely helpful during opioid withdrawals but like GetMeOutOfThisCRAP it's a double edge sword because the stimulant comedown during opioid withdrawals is beyond unbearable. So the only way I can use stimulants during opioid withdrawals is to binge heavily on them for days on end until I finally pass out from exhaustion. That way I blast through the opioid withdrawals and effectively sleep through the stimulant comedown. I do not recommend this.

any mods feel like moving this To the neuroscience and pharm boards plz ?

I have used adderall for painkiller withdrawals several times and it is a double edged sword. It helps me not feel withdrawal but the crash seems to be far worse when I'm wd'ing from opiates and utilize adderall. Imo adderall is stronger than people give it credit for and I've definitely abused it in the past and had mild depression episodes, but it is quite a good drug and not as soul consuming as opiates. take care

yeah man out of the 2 dozen or so times I've taken it I havent had too bad on a come down at all besides little less sleep next day , except this go around my timing is messed up lol. I ran out late last night and feeling day 3 (or 4 is it? I forget) in full impact with what seems like the first taste of stim comedown while on arguably the worst day of the withdrawal for fast acting opiates. Lol sooooo thats what that second side of the sword y'all were talking about 8( lol fun fun. definitely a must have for opioid or gaba withdrawals nonetheless in my opinion. I've mitigated days of symptoms of both with no issue, but timing is a bitch lol.
thanks tho

Well, when I have mild Kratom WD the worst negative effects I get are basically fatigue and exhaustion and depression, so I also find Adderall to help with that, but it's also edgy at the same time.

But if I do mess up and take too much Kratom and have to be active while in WD, then Adderall will work for that, so that's one reason it could help for that, even though I'm careful to avoid Kratom WD by not taking it more than 3 days a week.

Well, when I have mild Kratom WD the worst negative effects I get are basically fatigue and exhaustion and depression, so I also find Adderall to help with that, but it's also edgy at the same time.

But if I do mess up and take too much Kratom and have to be active while in WD, then Adderall will work for that, so that's one reason it could help for that, even though I'm careful to avoid Kratom WD by not taking it more than 3 days a week.

I havent read too closely your posts but aren't you currently or just recently WD from kratom?

an man. I can't express how much of a life safer it is. even with the come down nasties included, stimulants are superior in mitigating opioid withdrawal over clonidine and gabapentin......even works better than phenibut or benzos. unless you're really Benzo naive or low tolerant they don't seem to help much with opiate withdrawal, and vice versa. stims help both. I couldn't find adderall today and resorted to smoking a little clear with my friend earlier today. just as an update : it was my 3rd day which by far is worst so far. normally day and night 3 are the real hot ticket, just hoping I can stay supplied with enough to keep this train rolling for atleast one or two more days till I'm in the clear. I'd rather get adderall but if I can't clear works even better....but not really into that whole thing lol.

I would say tho that the complete loss of apetite can be concerning.. cuz I remember a really bad withdrawal I went through over winter I used addy to get through it and people told me that I noticably lost alot of weight (I am already thinner). It can also put a large strain on ur heart since opiate withdrawal already puts the heart under additional stress.

But adderall for president.. 2nd fav substance. If you have a light benzo or some kratom it covers up the crash quite decently even during wd.

Yes, a double edged sword indeed. I used to regularly use amphetamine sulphate to get over minor heroin withdrawals. My reasoning was that as the majority of opiate withdrawal is psychological in nature, anything that can provide euphoria will help. But this is only true up to a certain point. Unfortunately, it's not sustainable because the inevitable crash made me crave heroin even more, so eventually the speed was phased out to be replaced by daily heroin...

Yes, a double edged sword indeed. I used to regularly use amphetamine sulphate to get over minor heroin withdrawals. My reasoning was that as the majority of opiate withdrawal is psychological in nature, anything that can provide euphoria will help. But this is only true up to a certain point. Unfortunately, it's not sustainable because the inevitable crash made me crave heroin even more, so eventually the speed was phased out to be replaced by daily heroin...

yeah .... i learned the hard way! haha my timing got a little off and I had a crash/comedown off a couple day clear binge the third night of heroin withdrawal and YOOOOO that was awful...lol. I'm definitely getting a script of adderall for this very reason. I'm also having some benzo/gabapentin withdrawals as well these are helping for. this clear binge has allowed me to not take any clonazepam in about 3 days so far and still feel good. but yeah the crash seriously sucks, which is why I'm going with adderall. the clear actually does a better job of masking the withdrawals but damn that come down. I luckily don't get TOO noticeable come downs from adderall besides a little restless sleep on the night of.

I havent read too closely your posts but aren't you currently or just recently WD from kratom?

an man. I can't express how much of a life safer it is. even with the come down nasties included, stimulants are superior in mitigating opioid withdrawal over clonidine and gabapentin......even works better than phenibut or benzos. unless you're really Benzo naive or low tolerant they don't seem to help much with opiate withdrawal, and vice versa. stims help both. I couldn't find adderall today and resorted to smoking a little clear with my friend earlier today. just as an update : it was my 3rd day which by far is worst so far. normally day and night 3 are the real hot ticket, just hoping I can stay supplied with enough to keep this train rolling for atleast one or two more days till I'm in the clear. I'd rather get adderall but if I can't clear works even better....but not really into that whole thing lol.

Yeah I did and Adderall helped.

Now I have a time locking tupperare container which, while easy to break, still helps me maintain 3 days a week spread out so I don't get WD because I'm not such a fiend (so far lol...) as to break the thing and waste the money.

It won't work if someone is a complete fiend and breaks it though LOL.

It really would be better if it was harder to break.

Hey all! Have been an avid Bluelight follower for years but recently officially joined and this is my 1st official post/reply....

In regards to using Adderall(amphetamines)to help with the opioid withdrawal process, I will say that I 100% agree that it does and can work. I say this from direct first hand/personal experience.

I think it can depend on the person so do at your own risk. I don’t advise it, BUT. I am on day 3 of no Fent-a-dope that was probably just fentanyl. I just took a 10mg adderall about 2 hours ago and it actually helped me to get up and eat a hot pocket. I haven’t felt good all day and it helped me. I will keep everyone updated as time goes on, but for now I am just a little sweaty on my forehead and that’s really it. I took Imodium and 800mg of Tylenol for pain and aches. It might get worse later, idk. For now though, it’s great. I have been diagnosed with ADHD as a kid so i don’t know if that has anything to do with it.

Genuinely curious.....

from both common sense and search engine usage it seems that amphetamine salts (Adderall IR ) for almost any withdrawal besides speed withdrawal to be a probable failure if not nightmare, if not from the obvious over excitement of an already ultra flexed glutamate response, than from the inevitable crash...

Now I actually do have diagnosed ADHD, so theres that. but it's not a medication I'm currently taking, or a disorder that is particular bothersome on its own at this pointmy life.

its a medication that does ultimately make me function better wether I enjoy it or not ( I'm not necessarily a fan of it at all on its own. or any speeds besides the occasional MDMA, thought clear was rather boring also- they're fun but zero in impulsive use ) In high school when it was scripted to me I completely ignored it, so even then wasnt a fan. and haven't used it in about 10 years until a few weeks ago only to be surprised with its off brand properties. . this recent go around was is not a regular basis, just a score off a friend here and there. maybe 8 or 10 20mgIR in the past month or two, sporadic few day binges when hurting only really.

so that may ADHD explain a bit of it, but not enough. you'd expect the awareness increase, the anxiety increase, the itchy - rather tensed up feeling from the adderall on its own, plus the myriad of its typical stimulate features to be absolutely horrendous on a opioid or Benzo withdrawal. but it's so far proved to be (obviously, too good) very good at helping these symptoms. its helped for Gabapentin nightmare, Benzo withdrawal, and now most surprisingly opioid withdrawal...... like seriously 10mg IR made day 2 off a nice binge of some proper gear literally nonexistent.... I also don't get bad stim come downs as I haven't really abused them too much yet, all I felt where the withdrawal symptoms slowly come back. sooooo, what could be going on for my neurochemistry here for adderall to help me so much besides the fact that I am an ADHD individual ?
For me, part of opiate WD is that I can’t or don’t want to do anything. by adding adderall it helps, espeially pairs with keatom and imodium

Can't really speak to Adderall but I have had opiate wds minimized with use of methamphetamine.

Adderall gets the old dopamine receptors fired up, lack of which is not an insignificant part of withdrawal from any addictive recreational drug. Even if the drug isn't primarily a dopamine agonist or binder, it's still generally somewhat dopaminergic. This is part of how addiction gets mediated and learned in the brain. And use will inevitably lead to an increase in dopamine receptor sites which means cessation is going.to cause a lot of symptoms related to it.

Also Adderall is racemic amphetamine. Idk about l-amphetamine, but l-methamphetamine is non psychoactive, and is actually a sympathetic nervous system stimulant that is sold otc as a nasal spray. It's great at alleviating various cold and flu symptoms. I bet l-amphetamine has at least some of those same properties. Actually D-methamphefamine also has these properties but it's just sorta overshadowed by...getting high. It can definitely clear you up a bit and alleviate some cold symptoms. Too bad they don't make meth cough drops. Alas. Anyways, opioid withdrawal is very similar to having the flu except its the flu with extra symptoms like pain. So maybe l-Amp helps by dealing with those flu symptoms?

Also amphetamines just feel...nice? Even though they might exacerbate symptoms of withdrawal for sedatives, they also.feel good. Like insomnia is usually pretty shitty to experience but on meth insomnia is fun as shit. Usually anorexia(not nervosa, lack of appetite in general) sucks but on meth it's totally fine. Since being.amped makes these side effects tolerable, if not fun, i imagine if does so even when withdrawing from the downers.

Also Amp comedown isn't that bad for most people in my anecdotal experience. Mdma sucks but you can take amps in a way you don't crash if you are conservative with it and take tweeker naps and force some eating. But even if it were intense, Amp withdrawal is basically the opposite of some of opioids worse withdrawal symptoms. From what I've heard from others the worst things are insomnia, lack of appetite, and diarrhea. Given that Amp withdrawal is hypersomnia, overeating, and getting blocked up, crashing from.amps might be the cure to crashing from heroin. I wonder if someone's published that in a journal? If not, maybe I can give lectures if I do it. Hmmm.

BTW I included mostly references to opioid withdrawal because I am more familiar with it. I know every drug is it's own unique special snowflake with its own withdrawal but i assume other sedatives are probably similar in withdrawal physiologically, albeit with some notable differences due to the different roles played by GABA and endorphin and whatnot.

This is purely theoretical and based on my very limited understanding of neuroscience so please don’t take my word for it as absolute truth. basically, opioid withdrawals are caused bye neuronal hyperexcitability including greater glutamate release and enhanced Number of and conductance through ion channels, especially calcium channels.. dopamine, via the D2 class of receptors, can inhibit neuronal activity with immediate effect, but also induce synaptic LTD. in brain areas like the amygdala, this could dampen down anxiety and in the nucleus accumbens it could enhance reward.
As others have already mentioned, dopamine deficiency is a common Factor of all addictive drug withdrawals and is the main reason behind severe psychological dependence.