Why do I have to stop?

lostbutfound

Greenlighter
I don't get it man. Everybody tellin' me I'm doing something BAD because of using drugs! That I gotta STOP or else it's gonna kill me. I don't believe it. Why can't I just do my thing, ya know? I ain't hurting nobody. Sure I indulge here and there, sometimes more than others, but man why don't people let me be?

Am I really a bad person for getting high and not wanting to stop? :(

what drugs do you indulge in? its our own right what we choose to do. people around here criticize drug users, yet they drink alcohol and smoke cigs. so hypocritical

That's how I feel man. I won't lie and say I don't like the cigs and alchy but I do all the rest uppers to get goin', downers to come back down, MDMA. I did some painkillers recently I think they were oxycotton or something like that. I felt good but people told me if you do them 3-4 times in a row you're gonna be hooked for life so I'm gonna stay the hell away from that.

Drinking ain't bad I used to drink every DAY for a while but now I keep it social as much as I can.

But it just helps me sometimes. I feel bad often and then I just need to feel good sometimes. Isn't that normal?

Using drugs isn't in definition a bad thing, the way you use it determines if it is good or bad for you.

Getting high doesn't make you a bad person, there are enough of us that do it and never cause any harm to anybody,so how can we be bad?

^IMO opinion when you start to hurt others with your drug use that's when it makes it immoral. That and when your health is being neglected and all you care about is getting high that's when it becomes bad. When you forget that you had other passions in life besides getting high or you're getting high just to feel normal then IMO that's when you need to stop and think about where you are going in life.

But if you're just having some fun and not hurting anybody or yourself then I say fuck it have some fun life's short and if it makes you happy go for it.

Just remember to be safe and don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you.

I feel that the key is to be really honest with yourself about the negative impacts of your drug use (to your health, happiness, mental wellbeing, relationships/social life, job, wallet etc) and the positive sides too - it is very easy to be in denial about it and ignore the bad side. Having said that, a blanket statement like "all drugs are bad" is clearly false. It is the way you use drugs and the effect they have on your life that can be bad.. or the effect they have on others. It is certainly true that if you are happy with your drug use but others are unhappy it might indicate a problem, and you don't want your actions to hurt others.. again though, to take a different view, sometimes people are overly judgemental and upset about others' drug use. It all needs to be assessed on an individual bases I think, and reassessed regularly to make sure things are still swaying towards the positive :)

Bear in mind that things can be all well and good while you have a steady supply of your drug (and funds/circumstances that allow you to indulge) but what would happen if you are forced to stop? Could it cause problems? Dependence on a drug rarely ends well and is a different beast to casual use.

Sometimes it can be good to take a break - firstly to check you still can, and secondly so you can accurately compare yourself on drugs and off them. It was only when I cut back on smoking weed, for instance, that I realised how slowed-down and unmotivated I was during the day if I'd smoked a lot the night before!

i was just having this conversation with my counselor at MMT clinic. I was saying I dont see the harm in using once a month as long as it really is once a month. He said that I should find out why I am using, if I just like it, I like it; but if it is to cover up pain or cope with reality, that is different. I use to cope with reality. Also, he suggested that i think of positives that will help me relax and take the role of h plays in my life. So, in other words, there is nothing wrong with using occassionally, if u arent hurting others, are being safe, and putting minimal things at risk, however, is this ur long term goal?

of course, i'd like to never have the need to use h again, but realistically, it is still an occassional relief to me bc i absolutely hate my life right now (bc im climbing out of a hole i dug myself).

Using drugs to climb out of a deep dark hole isn't always a bad thing, I use it also to climb out of hole sometimes, it's helps for me.

It's really up to you to determine whether or not your substance use is problematic for yourself. Depending on what your goals are, you can assess if your behaviour is interfering with them or causing you any other sorts of problems. Outside feedback can sometimes be helpful but unless your decisions are made based on what you think/feel/believe/know then you may not feel that you are living your own life. But it is also possible to have a distorted view of your use. If you can see it for what it is then it doesn't matter what others think :)

Well drugs definitely aren't good for you imo. Look at it this way. Any drug that makes you high (speed/opiates) offsets your bodies ability to maintain and regulate homeostasis.

For example. You take speed. You don't eat. You don't feel like you need to. Maybe you have 1 meal a day. Do this a long enough time and you can develop serious health issues from it. Then opiates do the same thing too. A lot of drugs also rape your bodies ability to maintain a normal sleep cycle. Opiates tend to make it longer as well as speed. Instead of wanting to sleep every 24 hours you wind up only wanting to sleep every 36-48 hours. And again this can cause serious serious issues to your body overtime. In fact sleep deprivation is linked to SO MANY different health problems that its literally one of the worst things you can do to yourself.

Just because you don't feel like you need to do something on drugs (like eat or sleep) doesn't mean your body still doesn't need it. Your blood changes, organs start operating less efficiently, you develop eye sight problems, cardiovascular problems.... I mean its really infinite the things the drugs do to your body. And that doesn't even cover the brain. I mean fuck I only did speed for 2 years and those 2 years have fucked up my entire life. I can not control my hypertension unless I have a perfect diet now. Anxiety and paranoia have never fully went away even after 12 years.

The thing is drugs don't usually ruin your life in 1 day. So you keep using and using thinking all is fine and well. And then one day you wake up realize you are a totally different person and wonder wtf happened.

Its the drugs, they usually fuck up peoples lives which is why a lot of people don't do them.

On the other hand there is a lot of social conditioning and norms that exist and just add to all the problems. Dealing with shame and guilt. Always feeling lesser than the person next to you just cause you need the crutch of drugs. Its hard for most people to really escape all that shit and live a normal life getting high all the time. But I HAVE seen people do it. I know a woman who was an alcoholic for 40 years and accomplished more than most people ever could in a lifetime sober. So in some scenarios drug use has very functional dynamics operating in someones life.

I still tend to thing thats very rare, and that most people should still strive to not abuse drugs and get out of hand. Its a very subjective reality being a drug addict but eventually you'll figure out what drugs mean for your own life and what you can and can not do. Like I know to stay away from dope and meth and crack as those are 3 drugs that will absolutely take over my life regardless of what I do. And it happened before already with 2 of them. So as you get older sometimes you become more savvy too. I also tend to think that western medicine is one of the most fucked up things that exist in this world and in certain situations I'd rather be taking a street drug than some crap a dr is prescribing. I mean I was watching a fucking infomercial about some med last night that said "may cause cancer in some patients".

WHY THE FUCK do we even allow drugs like that on the market? Its $. The root of all evil. These people don't give a fuck about anything but making money. It only enables them to get richer and richer while so many poor people are busy getting high and not giving a shit about their life. So many different ways to look at things but the older I get all I know is the more I just want to be off everything. Especially in times like this in America things are fucked up. I need every advantage I can as life is already hard enough and being on drugs I definitely don't consider an advantage. They make you content in not having anything... so really just do the math.

^Yes I think that's a good point about differentiating between the consequences of drug use and the social norms/values that are attached to it. Any negative consequences provide enough in themselves; it's not necessary to add self-inflicted guilt or condemnation which are NOT drug effects they are self-imposed and likely influenced by the perception of others.

In my opinion there is no need to demonize or assign any moral value to it. However, that doesn't mean it's accurate to deny any consequences or to assume that every negative effect that is associated with drugs is also an exaggeration or lie. I've experienced some paranoia/anxiety that I never would have expected to go through and while I learn a lot from it I wouldn't consider it something that I desire. There is cause/effect with all decisions and I think this is really what is important to look at rather than moralistic or preconceived ideas.

Hey ^OP I feel angry about the same things. Why is methadone okay? Why is alcohol and cigarettes ok even though they are much worse for u?

I think comes down to legality, which also makes me mad.
People have no problem with one taking a legal prescription of something daily that is probably more harmful than indulging here and there.
I feel like if my behavior is responsible and non-harmful why can't society not scorn me bc I stick a needle in my arm every so often. Now would most of society still hate me bc of needle/syringe discrimination, probably. What if I were using a legal script of opiates IV, would society still disapprove? How about if it were a research chem? How about if it were really once a month and didn't show up on any drug tests and I were a responsible user?

Depending on one's job and moral stance on lying in order to do what u think u should be able to do, some ppl are ok with that and use guilt free.

I do feel like addicts (and felons) suffer discrimination, which makes me really sad. I feel like they forget that the definition of addict may be in the hands of evil pharmaceutical lobbyists who just want to make money and care nothing about your well-being.

Well, I don't believe any drug is bad. No drug is bad by nature, it just isn't. Some drugs can produce very bad effects, others very good effects, a lot of drugs produce both. I don't think there is anything wrong with recreational drug use so long as you know what you are doing, and are educated. Some drugs CAN kill you, in fact all can if used dangerously. The way they do it varies, but all can, that doesn't mean it is wrong to use them. Food and water can kill you when used dangerously (obesity leading to death, acute water poisoning). Breathing kills you, as with each breath free radicals help to kill you, of course one must breathe, and eat, and drink. Bottom line - using drugs IS NOT wrong if educated.

^Yes I think that's a good point about differentiating between the consequences of drug use and the social norms/values that are attached to it. Any negative consequences provide enough in themselves; it's not necessary to add self-inflicted guilt or condemnation which are NOT drug effects they are self-imposed and likely influenced by the perception of others.

In my opinion there is no need to demonize or assign any moral value to it. However, that doesn't mean it's accurate to deny any consequences or to assume that every negative effect that is associated with drugs is also an exaggeration or lie. I've experienced some paranoia/anxiety that I never would have expected to go through and while I learn a lot from it I wouldn't consider it something that I desire. There is cause/effect with all decisions and I think this is really what is important to look at rather than moralistic or preconceived ideas.

Brilliant Legs, I love this post :)