• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Who has carried out a full Ayahuasca ceremony?

24hr2go

Bluelighter
Good Morning,

i was just wondering if anyone has travelled to south america to participate in a Ayahuasca ceremony before?

if you have been involed feel free to share any information you see relevant and comfortable in sharing!

how about a bluelight road trip?

I have not, but you might find the podcast/videos on this site helpful ? reset.me

-How to stay safe
-How to find a trustworthy place
-What to expect.. etc.

--edit--
There's also an Ayahuasca sub-reddit.

How come nobody does ibogaine ceremonies? It seems like a more beneficial substance. Maybe it's less popular because you have to take quite a lot of it and it's probably not that easy to get. The effects also last about 3 days apparently. Not very convenient.

To OP-
I recently travelled to Peru and did a few Ayahuasca ceremonies, but I didn't take very much. I stayed with two separate shamans/shamanesses, and in both situations the ceremonies were relaxed and often small (3-5 people), which was very nice. Everyone would drink and wait around in silence or quiet chatting until it kicked in, and then when it did, or at least for the shaman, he/she would start singing. The singing is very much the centerpiece of the ceremony. It's what drives the visions, it's what channels the energy and intentions of the ceremony. There is usually a shaker of some kind involved too.

Occasionally the shaman (if he/she's a good one) will stop and ask how you're doing. Everyone's got a bucket, and depending on the person, you use it or you don't. Ayahuasca ceremonies are HIGHLY variable. Sometimes no one will feel anything, and sometimes the night is so crazy you're not sure what's real and what's not. Ayahuasca is a very unpredictable beast in terms of strength of effects, quality of effects, and even timing of effects.

To jason7-
Very few people do Iboga ceremonies because
a) it's hella expensive
b) it's hella rare - I think it's actually endangered, or close to it
c) it's more physically dangerous than Ayahuasca
d) it lasts 3 days and ain't nobody got time for that unless you're a heroin junkie and you NEED to get off the horse
e) it's more intense than Ayahuasca. Yes, I said it. More intense.
f) legit Iboga shamans are very hard to come by, and most of them are probably in Gabon
g) Ayahuasca has been used throughout the Amazon, which is a pretty big place, whereas Iboga is traditionally used by one tribe (the Bwiti) in the tiny country of Gabon.

If I had to choose between Iboga and Ayahuasca, I would definitely choose Iboga, but that's just how my brain/body is wired. It just works better for me. I get more out of it.

If I had to choose between Iboga and Ayahuasca, I would definitely choose Iboga, but that's just how my brain/body is wired. It just works better for me. I get more out of it.

So you've tried it? What's it like for you? I have a vendor with both the extract and the pure chem. The pure chem is hella expensive, as you said, but the extract is actually pretty reasonable but I've read that it's only about 15% ibogaine so you'd have to take 7x as much. Not so reasonably priced after all I guess. Was there much nausea involved and how much did you take? The high doesn't last 3 days though, right? It's sort of an afterglow effect that's stretched out, isn't it?

I can see why ayahuasca would be cheap. There's a bunch of videos about it on YouTube and in one it showed the vines growing all over the place. It's a like a weed.

Last edited:
Jason7 the ritual with iboga is a south African tradition... The documentary I saw of a European guy who earned the trust and respect of a tribe that practices with iboga. He ended up eating iboga bark for 3 good days barely remembering his trip. The most visionary part is something for him and him alone were all he could share was his name gained from the experience, which was blue star. I have limited net access and don't think I'll find the documentary although I recommend hunting it down if you want to learn about iboga for real.

Jason7 the ritual with iboga is a south African tradition... The documentary I saw of a European guy who earned the trust and respect of a tribe that practices with iboga. He ended up eating iboga bark for 3 good days barely remembering his trip. The most visionary part is something for him and him alone were all he could share was his name gained from the experience, which was blue star. I have limited net access and don't think I'll find the documentary although I recommend hunting it down if you want to learn about iboga for real.

Yeah there's a few videos about ibogaine on YouTube. Most are about addiction treatment though. From the molecule it appears to be a 5-meo tryptamine, so I could see it having some pretty strong effects.

So you've tried it? What's it like for you? I have a vendor with both the extract and the pure chem. The pure chem is hella expensive, as you said, but the extract is actually pretty reasonable but I've read that it's only about 15% ibogaine so you'd have to take 7x as much. Not so reasonably priced after all I guess. Was there much nausea involved and how much did you take? The high doesn't last 3 days though, right? It's sort of an afterglow effect that's stretched out, isn't it?

I can see why ayahuasca would be cheap. There's a bunch of videos about it on YouTube and in one it showed the vines growing all over the place. It's a like a weed.

15% extract seems pretty weak, imo. There's stronger out there, I believe. There was indeed nausea that culminated into an intense retching... the realest purge I've ever had on a psychedelic.

The effects DO last for 2-3 days. I wouldn't call it a high though--I'd call it a "low"--it's like going underground/to the underworld. But the visionary effects do last that long. The afterglow lasts months, typically.

I have a long-ass report http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/578463-%28IBOGA%29-moderate-experience-It-s-a-long-one on Bluelight if you want to read. It's an incredible, multifaceted and strange journey.

15% extract seems pretty weak, imo. There's stronger out there, I believe. There was indeed nausea that culminated into an intense retching... the realest purge I've ever had on a psychedelic.

The effects DO last for 2-3 days. I wouldn't call it a high though--I'd call it a "low"--it's like going underground/to the underworld. But the visionary effects do last that long. The afterglow lasts months, typically.

I have a long-ass report http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/578463-%28IBOGA%29-moderate-experience-It-s-a-long-one on Bluelight if you want to read. It's an incredible, multifaceted and strange journey.

The nausea part sounds nasty. Guess I'll pass on this one.

I did a combination of HCl and TA extract, and the TA extract was supposed to have been more along the lines of 50% ibogaine. Or maybe it was just 50% strength. There are some other major alkaloids in the plant (and thus the extract), including one that is twice as potent and a much stronger dissociative. It's generally recommended to do 2x or a little more of it than you would the HCl.

I recommend like 2/3 HCl and 1/3 TA (which is what I had), or I'm guessing 50% TA/50% HCl would also be good. I think the TA is very important as the other alkaloids play a big role. Most people who use HCl only (which is the custom of clinics for some reason) report worrying physical symptoms, rough trips, and dangerous increased heart rate. When I did the combo it felt amazing the whole time, very relaxing and utterly engrossing, at no point did I not feel really good physically, and my heart rate barely increased. Also no nausea whatsoever.

It is a huge commitment though, a flood dose of ibogaine lasts for 3 days at roughly peak before you really emerge. On the 4th day I could function again but I felt amazing and iboga'd for much longer than that. It's serious business. I did it to get rid of my opiate addiction which was ruining my life so it was worth it (one of the best decisions I ever made honestly). Iboga and ayahuasca are very far apart in terms of effects. Ibogaine is more like a dissociative than a tryptamine, it made me dream very vividly for 3 days basically, a non-stop vision quest I couldn't piece together until afterwards when it came flood back to me (and I've been dreaming vividly ever since when I go to bed on time). I went through so many experiences, it seemed to last a week. It started pretty dark (but I never felt any fear whatsoever, interspersed with BEAUTIFUL positive dreams, and over the course of the 3 days it got progressively lighter and more out there. I also took a ~350mg follow-up dose and was much more with it but still spent the whole time on a dream vision quest. However these were the most awesome and glorious dreams I've ever had, very psychedelic and beautiful, a great way to tie it all together. I loved my experience so, so much. <3

I did it 3.5 months ago... here is the story I wrote about it, it's even longer than RhythmSpring's though: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/723353-Ibogaine-(flood-dose)-First-Time-Into-The-Flood

Last edited:
Here's where I got the 15% figure. "Indra extract" is just another name for total alkaloid extract.

The Indra extract contains a reported 15% total alkaloids by weight of which 8% is ibogaine. As the other alkaloids in the Indra product are active, this material is viewed as having a 15% potency. It is darker and deeper in colour to ibogaine and comes as a brittle lump. http://www.myeboga.org/ibogaine.html

So it's pretty weak but, as you say, the other alkaloids are important to the overall effect. You'd have to take a few grams of it I guess. That would be a very expensive trip considering the price I've seen. Also, a three day trip seems a little impractical and tiring to me. Probably not worth it unless you're trying to kick opiates. Seems like a fascinating compound though.

Like all things I think it matters very much how well the extraction was done. I will say that the TA extract I had was quite strong. I had a bit over 500mg of it, along with a bit under 100mg of HCl, for my follow-up dose, and it was one of the strongest trips I've ever had, the visuals were the strongest and most amazing I've ever had, almost as strong as the flood dose visuals but even more vivid.