• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Which benzos are worth snorting? A systematic investigation

Vesicle

Bluelighter
In my time hanging out in various drug circles, I've noticed the occasional mention of snorting various benzodiazepines, the most common of which being alprazolam. It is stated within these circles that benzodiazepines (in general) should not be insufflated due to their low water solubility, and that oral/sublingual administration is more viable. Poor water solubility is claimed to be a significant factor affecting the intranasal viability of benzodiazepines.

However, a couple of unique benzodiazepines are highly soluble in water and have therefore been deemed "snortable". The main ones that come to mind are midazolam, flurazepam, and triazolam (debatably).

I sought to investigate these claims by checking the available literature for the water solubility of various benzodiazepines and any reports of intranasal use, whether in a medical setting, anecdotally (e.g. via this forum), or in animal studies.

I encourage anyone to debate/discuss my findings as I most certainly missed important details on this complex topic. I understand other factors such as pH and individual pharmacokinetics will affect the intranasal bioavailability. But, I chose to focus on water solubility as it is still greatly important.

I have compiled my findings and sources in the table below. This table is a DRAFT, so do not take these results as hard evidence or fact. And please do not use this table as the basis for your next sniffing session XD.

NameCommon BrandSolubility in Water @ 25°C (mg/L)Worth snorting?
AlprazolamXanax13.1NO
ClonazepamKlonopin100NO
DiazepamValium50-66NO
EtizolamEtilaam42*NO
FlurazepamDalmane500,000YES
LorazepamAtivan80NO
MidazolamVersed>22**YES
TriazolamHalcion4.53UNCERTAIN

∗ - Estimated based on results from ALOGPS
∗∗ - Highly pH dependent. The solubility of Midazolam increases as pH decrease. This supposedly is the case for some other benzodiazepines as well.

Notes: I find it strange that midazolam has a relatively low water solubility yet it is the most commonly used benzodiazepine for intranasal administration in a medical setting. Also, I find it strange that flurazepam supposedly has a water solubility that is MAGNITUDES greater than all the others. This must be some kind of edge-case or poor estimate, but it was the main result I found. I am open to any and all corrections!

SOURCES:

Last edited:
Flurazepam has a pretty high oral bioavailability (83%) while the others are less than 50%.

The last study you mentioned is interesting and definitly seem to point to intranasal being the superior ROA for all of those drugs, at least in dogs (which I would guess can fairly accurately be extrapolatd to humans).

Very interesting stuff.

Flurazepam has a pretty high oral bioavailability (83%) while the others are less than 50%.

The last study you mentioned is interesting and definitly seem to point to intranasal being the superior ROA for all of those drugs, at least in dogs (which I would guess can fairly accurately be extrapolatd to humans).

Very interesting stuff.
Yeah i’m unsure if the canine nasal cavity is drastically different compared to humans, but it’s an interesting study nonetheless. As for the bioavailability, flurazepam is a very unique outlier and i wonder what properties make it such a potent drug for intranasal use .

When I saw the title, first thing that came to mind was some old friends getting massive nosebleeds after snorting crushed midazolam, not diluted in water.
Their noses should have been trained well enough by all the other drugs they snorted.
Might be very a-typical , but worth the mention.

When I saw the title, first thing that came to mind was some old friends getting massive nosebleeds after snorting crushed midazolam, not diluted in water.
Their noses should have been trained well enough by all the other drugs they snorted.
Yeah midazolam is strange. From what I've read, pH plays a large role in it's ability to be absorbed, with lower pH levels resulting in greater bio-availability. Putting acidic solutions up your nose doesnt sound like the most pleasant experience thought...

Did your friends get affected or did they just get nose bleeds?

Not sure if snorting surpassed their 'normal' levels of weirdness on midazolam...🤣
They had a massive tolerance to begin with.
But they snorted ounces of speed and coke, had no septum left, yet Dormicum made their noses bleed.😨

This benzos amnesia brought me in strange and stupid situations.
30 years ago the DSM mentioned Midazolam as an 'non-addictive' benzo.
And 'freely' uncontrolled available in liquid form at my job.
As the naive boy I was...yeah right...that turned out bad.
In the end I was taking a 10ml/30mg ampoule IM spread over a day.😑
Until the stash ran out and I went coldturkey through one of the most severe WDs ever.

Dormicum is excellent if you want to forget. Everything.
For passing out, great benzo.
For sleeping and resting, it doesn't work. You forget you slept, so only feel wasted.
When you use it IM, you will forget even 15 minutes BEFORE you took it.😳
I spent days looking for ampoules I had hidden the night before and were nowhere to be found.
Awful.
Just keep in mind, black holes in your memories don't ever go away.

Sorry, lil' off track, back to topic😉

Not sure if snorting surpassed their 'normal' levels of weirdness on midazolam...🤣
They had a massive tolerance to begin with.
But they snorted ounces of speed and coke, had no septum left, yet Dormicum made their noses bleed.😨

This benzos amnesia brought me in strange and stupid situations.
30 years ago the DSM mentioned Midazolam as an 'non-addictive' benzo.
And 'freely' uncontrolled available in liquid form at my job.
As the naive boy I was...yeah right...that turned out bad.
In the end I was taking a 10ml/30mg ampoule IM spread over a day.😑
Until the stash ran out and I went coldturkey through one of the most severe WDs ever.

Dormicum is excellent if you want to forget. Everything.
For passing out, great benzo.
For sleeping and resting, it doesn't work. You forget you slept, so only feel wasted.
When you use it IM, you will forget even 15 minutes BEFORE you took it.😳
I spent days looking for ampoules I had hidden the night before and were nowhere to be found.
Awful.
Just keep in mind, black holes in your memories don't ever go away.

Sorry, lil' off track, back to topic😉
Some do, repressed memories are not uncommon, nor is sensory recall.

Drugs that punch holes in your brain might be a slightly different story though

If the synapse is blocked by a neurotransmitter that the benzo produces then that also would change things a bit.

I personally dont believe water solubility matters. they work fine nasally. the musous membranes in your nose seem to absorb benzos as well as the ones under your tongue. I think the "you cant snort benzos cause they arent water soluble" is one of those things on bluelight where ppl repeat it like its gospel without even trying it themselves. if they work sublingually, why not intranasally?

You should mix with water if you snort