• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom What's Really In Your Bag of Kratom?

mdaniel80

Bluelighter
Here is an article I wrote for Bluelight's social media platforms. Today's kratom isn't pure kratom.

What’s Really Inside Your Bag of Kratom

Since mitragyna speciosa was discovered in 1831 by Dutch botanist Peter Korthals, a lot has changed. Today the industry is a multi-billion dollar booming enterprise. While just a few years ago only a handful of people knew what Kratom was, today it is a rapidly emerging substance popular with pain patients, people looking to get away from traditional opiates, and folks looking for a “safe” buzz.

But kratom is sold in an unregulated market. An open industry, you could say. This means that anyone can slap a “Kratom” label on a bag of virtually any substance and sell it. Sure, most US mitragyna speciosa vendors provide certificates of analysis (also called lab certs) but the validity of many of these is often questioned and many times proven forgery or tampered. Even if the certificates are legit, the labs do not test for non-kratom substances. What this means is we potentially have thousands of products on the market that aren't truly 100% kratom.

It wasn't like this when Kratom was first introduced to Western civilization and the US a decade ago. At that time the market wasn't so saturated and we were buying from processors who were harvesting wild speciosa trees and doing so scrupulously. We were also paying fair trade prices which makes a huge difference in quality in any industry. So what is it about kratom processing today that causes big concern and makes us wonder: what's really in our bags of kratom?

The first and most obvious issue is that Kratom is a raw good for human consumption processed in a third-world country. It is being processed by farmers and harvesters in Indonesia who do not have sanitary running water and electricity. They simply do not have the resources available to them to treat the kratom safely. Those resources include education such as knowledge on pathogens and bacteria like salmonella, E Coli, and mold. Most of the kratom sold in the US was dried on the ground in the dirt on large fields. This includes the free-range walking of dogs and birds. Furthermore, when it is dried and raked up there's no separation between dirt and leaf. And without proper water sanitation systems, this leaves the ground and soil itself to be a risk.

Now, let's look at plantation-grown kratom. It is very rare to find true wild-harvested mitragyna speciosa and most of the kratom in the United States is grown on Indonesian plantations. Due to the high demand for Kratom products, farmers are forced to harvest leaves too young which makes for a low-quality product. However, the real issue is with the fertilizers and pesticides they use to save their young crops and speed growth. This isn't to blame the farmers but that of the low prices paid by US buyers but we'll get to that in a moment. Here again, we have the issue of the quality of soil used on plantations. Not only do moany parts of Indonesia not have sewer systems, but they also do not have trash removal systems. All of the garbage goes directly into the soil. And if you think these plantations are located in beautiful wide open fields far from civilization you are very wrong. Most Indonesian plantations are located very close to the villages or cities and homes in which the farmers reside. Right next to (and in) their waist.

The third and possibly most disturbing factor is fair trade. The going rate for a kilo of kratom is $3 to $7. This is what the big US vendors are paying, including those listed on the American Kratom Association’s approved list. Now we are well aware that there are many unfair trade Industries such as coffee, diamonds, etc, the particular problem with kratom is that the farmers aren't paid enough to meet the supply. This means they will do whatever is necessary to make money to survive. And in an unregulated open market, they can. This is where adulteration on the Indonesian side comes in. Farmers, harvesters, and suppliers are adding non-kratom leaves, corn husks, and other “organic” fillers to meet the demand. Some are dying the product a light bright lime green to mimic kratom. The notion that the brighter green your stuff is the better is false.

Now, this isn't to insinuate that 100% of the kratom on the US market is processed in this way. But as the demand grows, the situation worsens. The fact remains that the lower price the buyer pays, the lower quality and more non-kratom substances fill your bag. So what can you do to ensure that you have a pure, good quality, and safe kratom product if you can't trust a lab cert? Simply buying from a vendor who charges higher prices guarantees nothing as they may also be one of the unfair trade participants. This is where true small-batch vendors and due diligence come in. If you can find a vendor that buys directly from a farmer (or even better, a wild harvester) and not a supplier from the Indonesian city of Pontianac (or US broker), you have a much better chance of having true kratom. Farm-to-table is ideal.

Unfortunately, today's kratom market is no longer about helping people but about getting rich. It is rare to find a US vendor that sources well, pays fair trade, and truly cares about the customer. My call to action is to converse with your vendor. Ask them direct forward questions about fair trade. Ask them about dyes and non-kratom leaves and dirt. I've been dealing with hundreds of US vendors for many years and when they are faced with real questions it's amazing how quickly they crumble. It's not hard to see who the good eggs are and where the good kratom is.

-Maria Daniel
December 9, 2022

Royalty-free image
9XQ7-_twE2ao0C60hOzW4fchxixlgXTlHC7MfL4q75gqUbI-z3jybg32OApvmciA4yNcxIjmis88pyKbsdS1PjbDmn_9YQl4DwqMDouHRRM7MuKIcesSSR0iOH6kjZofCAJ87iJVff258RQFikmV9Zev6TRLnSdA8--M__bh-jM6FYiI1WoDE93h_DFX0g

I agree. Great thread topic.
I was wondering about this myself.
I have wondered if they could be adding fentanyl or other substances to the Kratom.
It seemed crazy to me that one teaspoon of that stuff could keep me out of morphine withdrawal.
When things seem too good to be true, they usually are.
I also was amazed at how much just 1-2 teaspoons of Kratom for a few days raised my tolerance drastically.
Something did not seem right with that.

That being said, I know that in Utah there is a large Kratom business.
Grown and harvested in Utah.
I cannot say for sure if it is “better “ or not, but at least it is grown and harvested in a country with running water and waste systems.
Just an FYI there.

Be careful everyone. This type of thing could seriously mess your health up or kill you.
I know there is desperation going on when people are being abruptly cut off pharmaceuticals, etc...
There is also a whole lot of desperation going on in the world to make money and provide for your family and desperate People will do desperate things.

Take care.

I don't think Kratom needs to be adulterated to keep one out of morphine withdrawal, at last it contents a chemical which is more potent than morphine - 7-HO-mitragynine - even when it's concentration is low. There was an infamous case of O-desmethyltramadol laced krypton Kratom some years ago though. But the facts listed in the OP are depressing, capitalism dominates everywhere in this world and these vendors make big $$$ given the low wholesale price of kratom leaves, in the end on the back of all parties involved, the farmers, the customers and the planet.

Yes...right...good thread...who knows?Untill i grown my own herb...whatever it could be that herb..or go pickin' in the nature...there's no way how to know what is in bag of kratom.(or anythin' else)....Got a batch horrendous stuff(one time)&got a good stuff too.I ain't got testin' lab

Thank you for helping to disseminate this information more widely. I'm currently tapering off of kratom and have been fortunate enough to have not really suffered any health effects while using this stuff for the past two years. But common sense, as well as reports like this one from the FDA that indicate heavy metal contamination in some kratom products, makes it easy to work out that unregulated drugs (or "supplements", if that makes you feel better) are a net-loss for everyone in society other than the vendors. One might argue that regulatory measures would drive prices up, but I think most reasonable people would rather spend a few more dollars per bag than unwittingly poison themselves with heavy metals, pesticides, random non-kratom plant matter, and god knows whatever RC opioids will inevitably be added by the most unscrupulous and cynical vendors. Based on this very high-profile Salmonella outbreak that the FDA linked to contaminated batches of kratom in 2018, there's no telling how many people have contracted GI infections that either resolved on their own or haven't been linked to kratom due to most users not being aware of its potential as a disease vector and/or not wanting to tell their doctors about their use for whatever reason. I hate to sound overly alarmist, but I really do think it is a scandal.

I am peeved by how utterly astroturfed most of the main sources of kratom "knowledge" are, with perhaps the most egregious example being the eponymous sub-Reddit. Those places are all filled with enough vendors and their shills to drown out most reasonable discussion around health concerns. If you hypothesize about a potential source of harm from kratom's unregulated status, let alone dare to tell personal stories about the dark side of kratom dependence, users will crawl out of the woodwork to spout some variation of, "You know, you really shouldn't say those things, because that gives kratom a bad name and will lead to it being made illegal." The fact is, they don't care about the human cost of this industry. In fact, if you lurk some of these spaces and search for threads related to "regulation" you will invariably see it framed as a universally terrible idea because, well, we should just trust the vendors to self-regulate. This is the de facto party line of the kratom "community". The "nootropics" scene and its own genre of snake-oil salesmen are similarly plagued by obvious astroturfing and a resistance to state-imposed regulations, but that's another story.

And to be clear, I'm not knocking kratom, but I'm a big advocate of informed consent. A lot of people don't know what they're possibly getting themselves into when they buy that first bag of plant matter from the nice guy at the head shop. All drugs carry risks and society should mitigate those risks wherever possible, and I don't think that necessarily requires trampling on anyone's civil liberties in the process. It's possible to both keep kratom legal while also ensuring that whatever reaches consumers isn't tainted with something harmful.

Last edited:
Mine says it's treated with radiation to eliminate pathogens mentioned here.

Thank you for helping to disseminate this information more widely. I'm currently tapering off of kratom and have been fortunate enough to have not really suffered any health effects while using this stuff for the past two years. But common sense, as well as reports like this one from the FDA that indicate heavy metal contamination in some kratom products, makes it easy to work out that unregulated drugs (or "supplements", if that makes you feel better) are a net-loss for everyone in society other than the vendors. One might argue that regulatory measures would drive prices up, but I think most reasonable people would rather spend a few more dollars per bag than unwittingly poison themselves with heavy metals, pesticides, random non-kratom plant matter, and god knows whatever RC opioids will inevitably be added by the most unscrupulous and cynical vendors. Based on this very high-profile Salmonella outbreak that the FDA linked to contaminated batches or kratom in 2018, there's no telling how many people have contracted GI infections that either resolved on their own or haven't been linked to kratom due to most users not being aware of its potential as a disease vector and/or not wanting to tell their doctors about their use for whatever reason. I hate to sound overly alarmist, but I really do think it is a scandal.

I am peeved by how utterly astroturfed most of the main sources of kratom "knowledge" are, with perhaps the most egregious example being the eponymous sub-Reddit. Those places are all filled with enough vendors and their shills to drown out most reasonable discussion around health concerns. If you hypothesize about a potential source of harm from kratom's unregulated status, let alone dare to tell personal stories about the dark side of kratom dependence, users will crawl out of the woodwork to spout some variation of, "You know, you really shouldn't say those things, because that gives kratom a bad name and will lead to it being made illegal." The fact is, they don't care about the human cost of this industry. In fact, if you lurk some of these spaces and search for threads related to "regulation" you will invariably see it framed as a universally terrible idea because, well, we should just trust the vendors to self-regulate. This is the de facto party line of the kratom "community". The "nootropics" scene and its own genre of snake-oil salesmen are similarly plagued by obvious astroturfing and a resistance to state-imposed regulations, but that's another story.

And to be clear, I'm not knocking kratom, but I'm a big advocate of informed consent. A lot of people don't know what they're possibly getting themselves into when they buy that first bag of plant matter from the nice guy at the head shop. All drugs carry risks and society should mitigate those risks wherever possible, and I don't think that necessarily requires trampling on anyone's civil liberties in the process. It's possible to both keep kratom legal while also ensuring that whatever reaches consumers isn't tainted with something harmful.
Fuckers in the reddit don't even admit it's an opioid from what i've heard!

Fuckers in the reddit don't even admit it's an opioid from what i've heard!
Yeah, it's a shame because there really is a nuanced discussion to be had about how much of an atypical opioid kratom is, in addition to all of the other biological targets it affects. So much of that gets drowned out in the crossfire between people who want to ban kratom for being an opioid (just because that's a scary word) versus the people who want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend there is absolutely zero possibility for kratom to throw someone's life into disarray. Sure, I've not yet heard stories of people turning tricks for their daily dose of kratom, but there's no question that kratom addiction/dependency are causing real harm for an unknown percentage of users. I feel like I've gotten off pretty lightly (so far), but still suffer from significant restlessness between doses and have no doubt in my mind that I'm generally more apathetic/less motivated to do anything ambitious than I was before I started. I think it's pretty funny how many people resort to the Naturalistic Fallacy to defend kratom as if they've suddenly forgotten that opium is also a natural product...

Is this thread still going?
If anyone is interested in the farm to table fair trade supply mentioned above please feel free to hit me up. Im from the UK but live in Indonesia and have spent time with some wholesalers, been to big plantations and local 'factories' producing kratom. I'm not trying to promote or sell anything here, but if anyone's interested it could work out for us both.

Yeah I'm scared I took Kratom pretty heavy for 2-3 years using a big name headshop brand , hoping because it's so wide spread that it's tested but who knows ( re*arkable h*rbs) . Just trying to be as healthy as can be now that I'm 44 days cold turkey and never touching it again. Worrying about the heavy metals and pesticides have given me health anxiety but I guess it is what it is at this point .

See these threads make me look for alternatives. Is bad on liver, no?
Idk

Is this thread still going?
If anyone is interested in the farm to table fair trade supply mentioned above please feel free to hit me up. Im from the UK but live in Indonesia and have spent time with some wholesalers, been to big plantations and local 'factories' producing kratom. I'm not trying to promote or sell anything here, but if anyone's interested it could work out for us both.
You cant be serious. That's literally sourcing and NOT what I wrote this post for. Yes, I am Maria Daniel

Yeah I'm scared I took Kratom pretty heavy for 2-3 years using a big name headshop brand , hoping because it's so wide spread that it's tested but who knows ( re*arkable h*rbs) . Just trying to be as healthy as can be now that I'm 44 days cold turkey and never touching it again. Worrying about the heavy metals and pesticides have given me health anxiety but I guess it is what it is at this point .
Ya the bigger then brand the lower the quality. ANd heavy metals is def a huge concern and a lab cert doesn't mean jack shit