• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What happened to me? Serotonin syndrome, stroke? Why am I still experiencing long-term deficits?

muffychuffy

Greenlighter
I was with a buddy about a year ago, and we decided to smoke some weed. I had recently started pristiq xr a week before, and was on vyvanse 30mg during that time as well. At the time, pristiq and vyvanse both made me manic, but it really helped me work on the project I was doing at the time. The day I smoked with my friend, I had switched back to zoloft 100mg and 40mg vyvanse that day in fear that the pristiq would mess the with the weed. Needless to say, the pristiq was still in my system, since it was extended release.
At first, when I smoked, I felt nothing at all. My friend was feeling it, but I was not. This prompted me to take another hit. As soon as I took that hit, something disastrous happened. I had numbness and tingling on the left side of my head, and it felt awful. Then came these waves of brain zaps. My heart rate was going up, and I felt awful. Then, at the very peak, it felt like something burst in my head on the left side; I felt this cold rush on my scalp that was just inexplainable. I couldn't really open my eyes, and the zaps got worse.
My friend thought I was just panicking, so I was brought along to a food place. He was talking me down, but I could feel my lower extremities convulsing a bit. My left arm was numb, and I felt as though I was going to die. I had a really hard time talking, and could only really manage to get a few words out at a time. Finally, I snapped back to reality. As soon as I did, I felt like I lost some cognition or something. The rest of the night, I had brief moments of seizing, but they subsided quickly. The following semester, I found myself struggling more and more in school, and overall my memory was much worse. It felt like I lost some neurons. I saw a neurologist last August and the MRI did not show anything, but I definitely still don't feel fine. Does anyone know what could have happened? I'm still struggling with my memory and everything just seems harder.

Also, it's worth noting that pristiq and vyvanse no longer make me manic after this experience.

All of the above is what I posted 6 months ago in some reddit post; I recovered somewhat but I'm nowhere near my baseline; this begs the question, what actually happened to me? Pharmological intervention helped, and I am now on 100mg prisitq and 50mg vyvanse which helps with the executive deficits this experience brought onto me. Unfortunatley, I may or may not get better, but in my own interest, I wish to get as close to base-line as possible. So, bluelighters, how do I fix my brain? No long-term damage on MRI, but things like serotonin-distribution between the axons of nerve cells don't necessarily show up on a scan. I just want to function adequately again, and be who I was :(. Also, it's worth noting the above experience left me with a dull headache within my head that won't seem to go away without meds.

sounds more like a question for the experts tbh. switching back and forth would be more likely the cause imo rather than the weed. i doubt u can do much more than u are already and just let yourself heal.. are u sure its not the meds u are on since they were relatively new?

sounds more like a question for the experts tbh. switching back and forth would be more likely the cause imo rather than the weed. i doubt u can do much more than u are already and just let yourself heal.. are u sure its not the meds u are on since they were relatively new?
Nah it's not when I stop the meds it's back to memory loss lane.