• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What causes tobacco's "buzz"?

I get a nicotine buzz from my vape. I smoke 6mg and usually my first few hits of the day get me pretty damn light headed and I definitely feel it. It just doesn't last long.

Higher end vaporizer though, blowing pretty big clouds. Straight lung hits so maybe that's adding to the effect.

I never smoked actual cigarettes. They are disgusting. I've only smoked tobacco by accident, so I can't compare the buzz with the added MAOIs cigarettes contain.

give him a break. If I go without my caffeine I have terrible headaches. Yeah morphine is what got me hooked to the needle. That is a slippery slope right there....the rest, I could leave though.....I do take temazepam for sleep.

The guy is clearly exaggerating his drug use by talking about it generally. I don't understand why, it's not as if having serious drug problems are something to brag about. He knows as well as we do that saying "I'm addicted to CNS stimulants" has people thinking "meth" and not "Starbucks".

I wasn't going to list every single substances I've ever been addicted to for no purpose at all. You completely lost the whole point of what I was trying to say.

I was simply saying the out of all the addictions I've had and to find Tobacco repulsive and none habit forming at all to me was completely weird.

But sure, if Morphine is considered less addictive to you than Tobacco then carry on my friend, carry on.

I wasn't going to list every single substances I've ever been addicted to for no purpose at all. You completely lost the whole point of what I was trying to say.

I was simply saying the out of all the addictions I've had and to find Tobacco repulsive and none habit forming at all to me was completely weird.

But sure, if Morphine is considered less addictive to you than Tobacco then carry on my friend, carry on.

What are you talking about? When did I even begin to imply that morphine is less addictive than tobacco? When did I even comment on the relative nature of how addictive opiates are compared to tobacco? You were extremely vague about *your* actual addictions, and when I then specifically asked you about it, you still just said the general categories rather than reveal your "drug problem" was coffee & benadryl. This is a fact I actually think you should be proud of, not ashamed of to the point where you try and make it sound like you've had real drug problems by calling coffee a "CNS stimulant". Also, can you explain to me how the fuck anyone can be addicted to Benadryl? Something with zero potential for abuse, absolutely no physical or psychological withdrawal symptoms, and just about the mildest sedative known to man?

In addition, from what I've heard, the specific type (can't think of a better word) of nicotine that's in tobacco smoke gets in your bloodstream faster than, say, a vape.
I think it's really just a combination of all of those; lack of oxygen, rapid delivery of nicotine throughout the bloodstream/brain, and possibly harmine. I kind of think that harmine more attributes to some of the other effects of tobacco than just what nicotine gives, not necessarily causing a headrush.

The weird thing to me, though, is that you don't get a headrush (I'm assuming that's what you mean by a buzz) after you've been smoking for a certain amount of time. Like, the first ten or so cigs I had, I got a headrush each time, but after that, I didn't really get them, even though at that point I was only smoking like one or two cigarettes a week, so it couldn't really have been a tolerance to nicotine/harmine. Maybe the brain gets used to occasional lapses in oxygen levels? I dunno.
Even though I don't smoke any more (for the past ~3 months), the recent times that I've tried smoking, I haven't gotten a head rush.

In addition, from what I've heard, the specific type (can't think of a better word) of nicotine that's in tobacco smoke gets in your bloodstream faster than, say, a vape.
I think it's really just a combination of all of those; lack of oxygen, rapid delivery of nicotine throughout the bloodstream/brain, and possibly harmine. I kind of think that harmine more attributes to some of the other effects of tobacco than just what nicotine gives, not necessarily causing a headrush.

The weird thing to me, though, is that you don't get a headrush (I'm assuming that's what you mean by a buzz) after you've been smoking for a certain amount of time. Like, the first ten or so cigs I had, I got a headrush each time, but after that, I didn't really get them, even though at that point I was only smoking like one or two cigarettes a week, so it couldn't really have been a tolerance to nicotine/harmine. Maybe the brain gets used to occasional lapses in oxygen levels? I dunno.
Even though I don't smoke any more (for the past ~3 months), the recent times that I've tried smoking, I haven't gotten a head rush.

Did you read my post? I think harmine definitely plays a part in it. Rats won't even self-administer nicotine unless it's given to them with an MAOI as well. Nicotine alone has never been found to be addictive.

I've gotten roughly the same kind of feeling I got from cigarettes from nicotine gum and patches. I always just assumed that nicotine was the drug that was responsible for tobacco's psychoactive effects, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think your right Burnt, i quit the cancer sticks back in feb 2009 but i am now addicted to wearing a nicotine patch every day and i chew at least 10 pieces of nicotine gum a day> i don't crave cigs at all any more i just find i am more content if use the nicotine replacement products i am used to. The gum definitely takes the edge off for me when i chew it.

If i wasn't so weak minded i would try to stop but i just keep on telling myself at least i don't smoke cigs.

Could anyone tell me why that flavoured tobacco called shisha people smoke out of hookah's don't give you that tobacco buzz normal cigarettes give you? I've only tried shisha a few times and would never smoke it again but i work for Lebanese people and they swear it is not addictive at all. It can't be good for you IMO

I think your right Burnt, i quit the cancer sticks back in feb 2009 but i am now addicted to wearing a nicotine patch every day and i chew at least 10 pieces of nicotine gum a day> i don't crave cigs at all any more i just find i am more content if use the nicotine replacement products i am used to. The gum definitely takes the edge off for me when i chew it.

If i wasn't so weak minded i would try to stop but i just keep on telling myself at least i don't smoke cigs.

Could anyone tell me why that flavoured tobacco called shisha people smoke out of hookah's don't give you that tobacco buzz normal cigarettes give you? I've only tried shisha a few times and would never smoke it again but i work for Lebanese people and they swear it is not addictive at all. It can't be good for you IMO

I thought it was because you don't inhale shisha?

Did you read my post? I think harmine definitely plays a part in it. Rats won't even self-administer nicotine unless it's given to them with an MAOI as well. Nicotine alone has never been found to be addictive.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to with "harmine more attributes to some of the other effects of tobacco than just what nicotine gives". The fact that it's an MAOI definitely adds to the addictive nature of tobacco and the mood-lifting abilities of it, but I was just saying I wasn't sure if it necessarily had anything to do with the headrush.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to with "harmine more attributes to some of the other effects of tobacco than just what nicotine gives". The fact that it's an MAOI definitely adds to the addictive nature of tobacco and the mood-lifting abilities of it, but I was just saying I wasn't sure if it necessarily had anything to do with the headrush.

Ahh, I see. Well, my gut reaction would say that it does. My first pure marihuana joint and my first cigarette were very close together, and I didn't get any kind of initial headrush from the joint as you'd expect if it was just the smoke itself and the lack of oxygen that caused the rush. That first handful of cigarettes I had gave a very distinct feeling (and god they were fantastic as well, used to hit me like a train!) that I'm pretty certain is down to nicotine. I respond strongly to all drugs though, but it left my hands shaking, my vision got sharper and everything seemed brighter and my mind was noticeably strongly stimulated, it was a dizzying & really really enjoyable rush. Considering lots of people don't feel anything at all (I've always wondered why they carried on if that was the case?) I'd say it was down to the nicotine. I think you're misunderstanding the MAOI's role in tobacco - if you were to smoke a plant that contained just harmine, or a cigarette that had had the nicotine removed but the harmine left intact, you would feel nothing. It's metabolized very quickly (which is why its delivered to the brain along with the nicotine upon inhalation) and so is useless on its own, its just when it's administered with nicotine, it will prevent the breakdown of the dopamine the nicotine releases, and this is what causes the "hit" from the tobacco. I'd say the headrush associated with tobacco is probably a niocotine rush, but its possible to *have* a nicotine rush because of the MAOI potentiating nicotine's effects.

I think you're misunderstanding the MAOI's role in tobacco - if you were to smoke a plant that contained just harmine, or a cigarette that had had the nicotine removed but the harmine left intact, you would feel nothing. It's metabolized very quickly (which is why its delivered to the brain along with the nicotine upon inhalation) and so is useless on its own, its just when it's administered with nicotine, it will prevent the breakdown of the dopamine the nicotine releases, and this is what causes the "hit" from the tobacco. I'd say the headrush associated with tobacco is probably a niocotine rush, but its possible to *have* a nicotine rush because of the MAOI potentiating nicotine's effects.

Yeah, I know, the harmine just potentiates the nicotine's effect (and modifies it in some ways). I hadn't thought about it potentiating the headrush itself, though. That might be it. In that case, though, any insight into why the headrush goes away after you've been smoking for a week/month/whatever? (Not relating to tolerance, though, since it faded away long before I had a nicotine tolerance. Unless, perhaps it's a very quick-developing and long-lasting tolerance to harmine.)

You're getting the cause and effect backwards, buddy. The nicotine, that causes the buzz, also causes the blood vessel constriction and increase in heart rate/blood pressure, they do not cause the buzz. The light-headed feeling can most likely be attributed to the carbon monoxide and lack of oxygen that goes along with tobacco, not the constriction of blood vessels or any other effect caused solely by nicotine, as you do not get these effects with vapes or nicotine gum. When you take cocaine, your blood pressure goes way up, your heart rate skyrockets and your blood vessels constrict, but it is not these that are causing the high, it's the cocaine in your brain.

I think you misunderstood me because I worded my post poorly. That's basically the gist of it. What I'm saying is, the lightheadedness contributes to the "buzzed" feeling you get. Remember the first time you ever smoked a cig? That's what I'm talking about.