• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Weird thing I had when I was a kid....Anyone else have it too?

LotsOfDogs

Bluelighter
Hi Everyone

So when I was a kid, say between 3 and 7 years old, I used to get this thing when falling off to sleep. From what I know as an adult, I think it was a synesthesia....As in a melding of multiple senses all firing off at the same time to produce what was either a new sensual experience or a very hard to describe one that didn't just come through one of my senses.

I'll try and put it into words. I'd be dropping off and I'd get this sense of a calm hum....sort of like a nice smooth sine wave if you were looking at an oscilloscope. But gradually, that sine wave or that sense of calm would slowly modulate and get more noisy somehow, more chaotic and excited. I'd try and ride it out but pretty quickly it would overwhelm me and I would be startled and wake up fully. Then I'd start drifting off and it would start again. The thing is that it wasn't a noise, or a colour, but somehow had something of these elements to it which made it feel like a huge current that was slowly amping up until I couldn't ride it anymore.

I've tried to explain it to friends many times but nobody else has ever experienced it. It stopped when I was about 8 but I remember distinctly having it again one more time a few years later and I knew exactly what I was experiencing...I remembered it clearly from earlier years but in adult life it has never happened.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Yeah I know!! It definitely had a touch of psychedelic to it. Don't want to go too much into that area since I read that there's to be no drug discussion here and it wasn't a drug experience.....Unless it was caused by food additives....This was in the seventies afterall:)

I've had an experience similar to that but I wouldn't describe it as synthesthesia. Mine only happened in the garage when it was completely quiet. All of the sudden my mind would start creating this sound almost similar to this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRxrCBvt7TM . The sound would get louder and louder and more chaotic. It sounded like more of those waves at different frequencies added to that sound at an exponential rate. It was more of an audio hallucination if anything.

Did it have any sense of size to it? As a kid I very often had this feeling of being extremely small and infinitely large at the same time--it was very disconcerting. I only recently (at the age of 26) started to have that same feeling when falling asleep. I believe it is a result of my tongue aggressively pressing against my soft-palate when falling asleep...

Probably not related at all, but yeah...

I've had an experience similar to that but I wouldn't describe it as synthesthesia. Mine only happened in the garage when it was completely quiet. All of the sudden my mind would start creating this sound almost similar to this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRxrCBvt7TM . The sound would get louder and louder and more chaotic. It sounded like more of those waves at different frequencies added to that sound at an exponential rate. It was more of an audio hallucination if anything.

There was definitely an element of what you describe to it. I think it's why I like electronic music, especially the squelchy, modulated sounds....They remind me of the experience and share that same quality of going from calm to hectic.

Did it have any sense of size to it? As a kid I very often had this feeling of being extremely small and infinitely large at the same time--it was very disconcerting. I only recently (at the age of 26) started to have that same feeling when falling asleep. I believe it is a result of my tongue aggressively pressing against my soft-palate when falling asleep...

Probably not related at all, but yeah...

Yes...Size was also tied in and correlated with the other elements of the feeling of going from calm to noisy. I don't know if it was like I felt I was getting bigger or the thing / experience was getting bigger...This is why I say I think it was a synesthesia because I couldn't differentiate what was and wasn't me....Such was the overpowering "bigness" of it.

It's so strange but it's stuck with me all these years, just on the grounds of how much of an impression it made.

Thanks everyone for your comments though. It's nice to know that others have experienced similar if not the same sort of things.

Everything vibrates at a certain frequency. You were shifting in vibration (sliding into another dimension of reality, basically).

Sounds like sleep paralysis to me. I got it quite often in my teen years, especially if I was trying to sleep when I wasn't especially tired, but it's pretty rare these days. "Electric currents", sounds, CEV; I had all those.

Sounds like sleep paralysis to me. I got it quite often in my teen years, especially if I was trying to sleep when I wasn't especially tired, but it's pretty rare these days. "Electric currents", sounds, CEV; I had all those.

I'm not sure about the sleep paralysis idea. There was no sense of terror, incapacitation or discomfort. It was more exhilarating than anything....like trying to see how long I could stay with the modulating wave before it bucked me. I could be misnterpreting what you mean by SP though:)