Waking up depressed+controlling your thoughts

ILikeSub

Bluelighter
I have a problem with waking up depressed.
Often my first thoughts upon entering a new day are often depressing and even scarey at times.
I always overcome them and get up and lately have bein getting my will back and have bein pushing to better my life.
I plan on starting school soon.
Anyways,this is frustrating.

Does anyone else experience this and if so,do you know how to stop this?
Changing a thought pattern can be tough and tricky.
I know using drugs doesn't help but I have a past with depression.
I don't consider myself a depressed person anymore but for some reason as i said I wake up depressed as heck 2 outta every 4 days id say.
It lasts for about 10 minutes,sometimes less because I break through it fast[usually] but the starting thoughts of a day may be a big influence on the day as a whole..?

What the hell is wrong with my mind?
Sometimes I find myself with racing thoughts outta nowhere.
i bite my nails severly sometimes.
I bite my bottom lip sometimes too.
Why am I having these problems controlling my thoughts?
Sometimes I will have a pattern of thougths or words stuck in my head on repeat and it takes almost all of my will to stop them.

So..comments,experiences and such?

This happens to me sometimes. Especially after some wierd dream. Can't say I have ever bitten my nails or anything but I know what you mean. Wish I had an answer. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone else will.

You probably just have a lot of deeply ingrained negative thought patterns. I have the same problem and I've been working with my counselor to develop positive self talk. Being able to acknowledge them is the first step which you seem to have done already. I don't think you should try to use all your will to stop them, fighting them stresses you out and can make them worse. You just need to work on countering your negative thoughts with more realistic thoughts. If you post some of your specific negative thought patterns I (and other people here) might be able to help you a bit more.

man i had that wakin up depressed prob for ages , until start of this year wen sumfin put all that to a halt
iv notived valium r best drug , if u choose that route ,f ro them types of anxiety because of thir such long half-life

theyu savd my life , until mates started selln bottle , then i had pads , then my benzo tolerance with skyhigh considering i cld get whateva i cld write out

but that came tumbling down months bak in a bad bad way lol glad i wasnt as involved as most of em

but yeh , valium bro , tis ur friend , just dont abuse it coz iv noticed valium has that "everythings fine" feeling moreso than othjer benzitos

i got bottled across the face with two longnecks while drunk in the city and i laughed it off then threw a few (fists) back , i think the valiums helped me out there , also was on pure ghb , not that shiot " dun really kno what it is i,4, gbl etc" shit lol

Hmm.Alright Im gonna take your advice and try it out.
Thanks for the replies.

I like Sub Too.... and honestly sub has helped with my depression issues more than anything else medication wise besides Klonopin. I've always had trouble waking up depressed, alot of the times it's just a result of me making dumb decisions, it's hard to wake up happy when you're in withdrawal and don't have any money because you spent it all on your drug of choice the night before.

I notice now when I wake up depressed it's more often than not tied into some circumstantial situation, like not having enough work for the month, getting dumped by your girlfriend, not having enough hope for the future at times is the worst one for me. It's been better lately, I've had to grow up and growing can be painful.

Definitely got to be careful about what I allow myself to dwell on because your thoughts do dictate your mood and life so if you're stuck in a negative thought cycle try to break out of it, it takes practice but it works. I'm still working on it and I'm not out of the woods yet by any stretch of the imagination but I'm learning.

Plus I've never been a morning person, I'm always happier in the evenings and night, mornings have always been tough.

This happens to me also every single morning due to the drugs wearing off completely. I just wake n bake the second I wake up..... but that is just me lol.

are you using anything? that shit just seems to happen when your lifes in a bad place

Excessive weed use makes my morning thoughts pretty bad, which has been going on since i have been using weed daily. Any drugs you are using daily?

man i had that wakin up depressed prob for ages , until start of this year wen sumfin put all that to a halt
iv notived valium r best drug , if u choose that route ,f ro them types of anxiety because of thir such long half-life

theyu savd my life , until mates started selln bottle , then i had pads , then my benzo tolerance with skyhigh considering i cld get whateva i cld write out

but that came tumbling down months bak in a bad bad way lol glad i wasnt as involved as most of em

but yeh , valium bro , tis ur friend , just dont abuse it coz iv noticed valium has that "everythings fine" feeling moreso than othjer benzitos

i got bottled across the face with two longnecks while drunk in the city and i laughed it off then threw a few (fists) back , i think the valiums helped me out there , also was on pure ghb , not that shiot " dun really kno what it is i,4, gbl etc" shit lol

Really, less depressed after valium? The reason I clicked on this thread was from seeing the title and having memories of when I used to take a lot of valium and waking up from a valium sleep I would always feel so horrifically depressed. I can't even imagine what coming out of a long term benzo habit would be like.

It sounds like you need to talk to somebody about your depressed feelings before it gets worse. Getting it out I'm the open with someone can really help sometimes to overcome it. Antidepressants can also help in some cases to get your life back on track. I think going to school also like you said should help better your self esteem and help deal with the depression. It puts a solid purpose and goal in your life. Exersize can also go a long ways in helping to fight it.

I think that reaching out to others, on BL and professionally, may be helpful in ur situation. Are you able to discipline urself and structure ur time so as soon as u wake up, u can stretch, make coffee, take a walk, sit outside or write in a journal or something?

When I allow myself to do nothing after doing nothing all day or night, that is when I get bad thoughts.

This is a very familiar problem for me and tends to set the tone for the rest of the day. Some times it is more of an anxious start, heart pounding, shallow quick breathing (very unpleasant).. other times it is immensely dark and sad.

2 things that have helped me:

Not waking up to your typical alarm. Set the radio to come on instead or a song that you like on your phone.
Redirecting my thought patterns by watching something humorous or by giving myself a little positive mantra to recite.

This is a very familiar problem for me and tends to set the tone for the rest of the day. Some times it is more of an anxious start, heart pounding, shallow quick breathing (very unpleasant).. other times it is immensely dark and sad.

This is, to the tee, exactly how I always wake up. It doesn't matter what time I wake up either. The first thought that runs through my mind is, "Oh fuck. Again?"

I've had doctors tell me I can correct this by A: stopping use of all mind altering substances (especially CNS depressants like alcohol, benzos, or opiates) and B: trying things like meditation, changing my mental "vocabulary" (e.g.) "No, I'm not fucked. This day is an opportunity, not another experience of desperation, depression, anxiety..."

It's the anxiety that really gets to me. The tachycardia (rapid heart beat, shallow breathing), the butterflies in the stomach, tightness in the chest, trembling and sweating...

But then, I know I'm alcoholic and dependent on a huge slew of other chemicals. Usually when I wake up I pop one of my Lyrica, take 2mg of clonazepam which the Lyrica potentiates, and try to play my guitar once my I have better motor control of my hands.

It's a bitch. Even though I know it perpetuates the problem, I handle it with as minimal a chemical cure as I can. The mental yoga/zen/rational practice outlook has never done it for me. I'm too impatient. As the kind of addict I am, I demand instant gratification. For this, I believe chemicals are the most effective way to change how I feel.

I want to read this thread before posting on the subject proper, but I am delighted you started this. I have been on the BL for a long while[this morning] feels like I have wasted my morning, (what's new!) but again feel hopeful in myself, at least a little

i woke in up with my eyes welling from pain, as per usual.

with very hard to ignore situational depression.

i absorb my thoughts and feelings, relate to their roots, and try and understand that its a process. a process that can be overcome with eventual acceptance and appreciation of our immediate surroundings,(sky trees birds & bees) and each other.

today, loud music and head phones, along with these thoughts are helping.