View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Volumetric measuring with organic solvents

Bagseed

Bluelighter
This is something I wondered and asked in another thread, but got no answer...

as we all know, tryptamines degrade rapidly in aqueous solution, so it's a hassle to measure out doses of potent ones like AMT, 5-Meo-DMT, -MIPT, etc...
I think that this wouldn't occur with the freebase dissolved in an organic, anhydrous solvent, could anyone with knowledge on that matter comment on it?

so you could put your salt into aqueous solution, basify it, extract with a known amount of naphta/toluene/etc, wash the aqueous phase with another known amount of solvent and then unify the organic layers..

you'd of course have to evaporate the solvent after measuring, but given an adequate concentration this should be done quickly with most solvents...

any ideas on why this wouldn't work?

Yes, it would be reasonable to expect tryptamines to be more stable in a non-aqueous solvent. Salts tend to be more stable so something like isopropanol would be a good candidate, no need to complicate things with basification.

I think that this wouldn't occur with the freebase dissolved in an organic, anhydrous solvent

You'd be surprised, freebase is generally more susceptible to oxidation etc. and lots of solvents are hard to keep truly anhydrous.

"Tryptamines degrade in aqueous solution" seems like a wild generalization, I don't for a minute believe something like AMT hydrochloride goes off very rapidly (as by analogy amphetamine/methamphetamine hydrochloride does not go 'off' very quickly at all). Or 5-Meo-DMT. I mean even 'plain' DMT as a freebase is pretty damn stable, so I'd expect the salts of 'plain' tryptamines to be solid as shit too.

I thought it was mostly the 4-hydroxylated tryptamines and their esters that were the really bad ones but even then you see workable shelf lives measured in the weeks to months.

Basifying, working with toxic organic solvents etc is a little overkill for dosing drugs IMO. You would be better served putting that money and effort to getting a better scale, or making a buffered solution at ph7.

thanks for the replies :)

it was more of a thought experiment tbh because I own none of those compounds at the moment... I was under the impression that tryptamines in general are much less stable than eg phenethylamines.. so you would say that tryptamines without substitution on the aryl (or 5-MeO) are expected to be stable in neutral aqeous solution?

psilocin analogues don't need volumetric measuring anyway because of the potency, a 30 bucks mg scale is plenty...

Ive had 4-ACO in a cool dark place ziplocked with moisture thingies in it for 6 months and its as good as when i got it