• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

very tiny cotton like substance found on my stem bud today..mold?

euphoria445

Bluelighter
i need to know...because if it is i'm just gonna throw these nugs out and get a new batch..i'm kinda bummed(pissed actually) because i stored it for months in a jar, 1 year to be exact and it was fine and the highs awesome at times,just today i found it..the cotton thing was tiny,but it was just on the stem..on the end... then 2 months later now i found one siimilar white thing on the bud....someone on another forum said it isn't possibly mold but could be anything from lint to something else..the smoke itself is fine i smoked it about 3 weeks ago(the other parts of the bud or some of it)..but i'm just curious if i should just toss it....i'm bummed because i can't hook up for maybe another month because ineed to save some money and i was planning on saving this for as long as i could as it's the only stash i have..

Last edited:
I've eaten moldy food before, not purposely of course. It wasn't until after some started to digest that I discovered mold. Had no adverse side effects outside a painful stomach which vanished after I secreted the toxic.

Hell, you may have smoked pesticides or insects before without even knowing.

You say you only noticed one tiny cotton-like substance on your buds, that alone isn't enough to indicate mold. It could just be lint or dust.

Mold isn't discreet, it's obvious.

There will be an appearance of white, grey, brown or green fuz present; it'll look like fur and not crystally trichomes(potent THC).

Also, the smell will be just plain undesirable. You wouldn't even consider smoking it, nor ask if it'll be ok. The pungent odor would be rotten, not even comparable to how weed smells. Not even skunky weed, which honestly smells awful.

If mold is present, I wouldn't advise smoking or consuming it. The fungi will most likely cause severe illness, completely ruining any euphoria or positive mood.

Sure, mold alters our conciousness but that effect is only do to drastic damage. Feeling sick isn't fun.

Last edited:
yeah just one...on the end of the stem,but it had that cotton look...not sure if it was fuzzy or not,,i keep thinking it is...but i'd say more cottony

I've eaten moldy food before, not purposely of course. It wasn't until after some started to digest that I discovered mold. Had no adverse side effects outside a painful stomach which vanished after I secreted the toxic.

Hell, you may have smoked pesticides or insects before without even knowing.

You say you only noticed one tiny cotton-like substance on your buds, that alone isn't enough to indicate mold. It could just be lint or dust.

Mold isn't discreet, it's obvious.

There will be an appearance of white, grey, brown or green fuz present; it'll look like fur and not crystally trichomes(potent THC).

Also, the smell will be just plain undesirable. You wouldn't even consider smoking it, nor ask if it'll be ok. The pungent odor would be rotten, not even comparable to how weed smells. Not even skunky weed, which honestly smells awful.

If mold is present, I wouldn't advise smoking or consuming it. The fungi will most likely cause severe illness, completely ruining any euphoria or positive mood.

Sure, mold alters our conciousness but that effect is only do to drastic damage. Feeling sick isn't fun.

ok gotcha...i've experienced none of those symptoms,the highs are pretty normal,not a sick feeling as described.. ,and the smell is fine from what i can tell...thanks again man...just wanted to make sure..appreciate the post..that little white thing on the stem freaked me out a bit...but hell it could be anything,but yeah none of those symptoms when i smoke it..

ok gotcha...i've experienced none of those symptoms,the highs are pretty normal,not a sick feeling as described.. ,and the smell is fine from what i can tell...thanks again man...just wanted to make sure..appreciate the post..that little white thing on the stem freaked me out a bit...but hell it could be anything,but yeah none of those symptoms when i smoke it..

Oh, you've smoked this batch beforehand? When was the last time you did?

Oh, you've smoked this batch beforehand? When was the last time you did?

just about a week ago,but it didn't have the white thing on the stem like today,it's a normal high basically..i 'm sending something to your inbox in a bit..in a bit so you'll know what the bud looks like if you don't mind..

just about a week ago,but it didn't have the white thing on the stem like today,it's a normal high basically..i 'm sending something to your inbox in a bit..in a bit so you'll know what the bud looks like if you don't mind..

You're weed is fine bro, lol

Mold only grows on weed in very poor conditions, such as a damp and disgusting environment. Tucked away in a closed jar is fine.

Also, it takes far more than a week for mold to grow.

Toke away :)

even if i've had it for 10 months though?lol...that's what i'm concerned about..that's where the original mold question came into play...anyway thanks man...i appreciate the help..

Last edited:
You smoked it a week ago and experienced no adverse effects. If it did have mold, you would have felt very ill and possibly be experiencing such illness now.

Quit worrying euphoria445, your bud is fine. :3

As long as you keep weed in an air-tight(closed so no air can get in)and dry container, no mold will grow.

As long as you keep weed in an air-tight(closed so no air can get in)and dry container, no mold will grow.

depends if the cannabis was properly cured before hand or not..
After weeks of hangtime, brown bag, time, and then finally mason jar time....jars are still opened periodically often to allow moisture to escape...

Not sure what temp mold spores become inert (i would think all but vaporizors would reach high enough temp), but being able to determine which ones are harmless and which ones can severely mess your respiratory system up generally requires dish cultures and some lab time....

even if i've had it for 10 months though?lol...that's what i'm concerned about..that's where the original mold question came into play...anyway thanks man...i appreciate the help..

You know, buying from street dealers, I can find some pretty random shit when I get larger amounts at a time. Things like super tiny fluffs like a little wisp off of a q-tip, single strands of human hair, threads of fabric. Shit turns up, man. People don't always keep their bud in super clean and tidy conditions prior to selling it.

Just some food for thought. I see why you'd be worried after holding it for so long without noticing it before, though.

You know, buying from street dealers, I can find some pretty random shit when I get larger amounts at a time. Things like super tiny fluffs like a little wisp off of a q-tip, single strands of human hair, threads of fabric. Shit turns up, man. People don't always keep their bud in super clean and tidy conditions prior to selling it.

Just some food for thought. I see why you'd be worried after holding it for so long without noticing it before, though.

Yeah, a buddy of mine always had cat hair in his bud. If you bought a quarter ounce, you could usually pick out a bowls-worth of cat hair..

Yeah, a buddy of mine always had cat hair in his bud. If you bought a quarter ounce, you could usually pick out a bowls-worth of cat hair..

Lol, I never got anything that bad but things definitely turn up.