• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Using Seroquel/antipsychotics to Restore D2 from Meth Abuse

chicken hoagie

Bluelighter
So in thinking about the pharmacology behind meth and what it does to dopamine receptors in the brain, would it stand to reason that antipsychotics such as seroquel, which are shown to upregulate dopamine receptor type 2 density over time. If D2 is our main pleasure center receptor, then it stands to reason that meth toxicity to dopamine neurons can be reversed by, what it used in hospitals for an antidote to meth psychosis, seroquel. Seroquel can be an uncomfortable drug and i actually used to start sleepwalking and doing odd things in the middle of night. But it can be useful for a meth comedown when you know you need to get to sleep.

Quetiapine doesn't rectore anything, only time and neuroplasticity can restore your brain from the neurotoxicity. Ofc after doing drugs your brain will never be 100% but doing exercise, eating and sleeping well, supplements,etc. Can accelerate the process. It's hard as fuck to cope with anhedonia though. Hard....but not impossible.

So in thinking about the pharmacology behind meth and what it does to dopamine receptors in the brain, would it stand to reason that antipsychotics such as seroquel, which are shown to upregulate dopamine receptor type 2 density over time. If D2 is our main pleasure center receptor, then it stands to reason that meth toxicity to dopamine neurons can be reversed by, what it used in hospitals for an antidote to meth psychosis, seroquel. Seroquel can be an uncomfortable drug and i actually used to start sleepwalking and doing odd things in the middle of night. But it can be useful for a meth comedown when you know you need to get to sleep.
Yeah, seroquel works good for cocaine comedown aswell. But the neurotoxicity from meth is something real serious that everyone should knoe 👍ok 👍 🙂 🙃 🤷 😌 👌

Quetiapine doesn't rectore anything, only time and neuroplasticity can restore your brain from the neurotoxicity. Ofc after doing drugs your brain will never be 100% but doing exercise, eating and sleeping well, supplements,etc. Can accelerate the process. It's hard as fuck to cope with anhedonia though. Hard....but not impossible.
Yeah, thats what makes relapses such a bitch. They are hard to come off of and it takes a lot of time and the ability and power to stay away from those that use. Ive had my car stolen twice in the last two months. By females no less. The world of addiction sometimes ends up giving you entirely way more grief than you intended.

Yeah, thats what makes relapses such a bitch. They are hard to come off of and it takes a lot of time and the ability and power to stay away from those that use. Ive had my car stolen twice in the last two months. By females no less. The world of addiction sometimes ends up giving you entirely way more grief than you intended.
Yeah, we tend to use drugs for anything thst happens to us. We are happy? GET HIGH we are sad? GET HIGH we are bored? GET HIGH We angry? GET HIGH and etc etc etc. But the ANHEDONIA you get from methamphetamine after u quit is soulcrushing....that's why it's so hard to effin quit. And if u keep using it, the anhedonia gets worse and worse cause meth is neurotoxic, it gets to a point where u never get back to normal unless u stay clean for large amounts of time. Quit while you're ahead cause later is just gonna get worse.

Yeah, we tend to use drugs for anything thst happens to us. We are happy? GET HIGH we are sad? GET HIGH we are bored? GET HIGH We angry? GET HIGH and etc etc etc. But the ANHEDONIA you get from methamphetamine after u quit is soulcrushing....that's why it's so hard to effin quit. And if u keep using it, the anhedonia gets worse and worse cause meth is neurotoxic, it gets to a point where u never get back to normal unless u stay clean for large amounts of time. Quit while you're ahead cause later is just gonna get worse.
I think that largely depends on dose. I am a light snorting user who might go through a gram once a week or two. Not very neurotoxic at that amount i dont believe. But perhaps im wrong.

I think that largely depends on dose. I am a light snorting user who might go through a gram once a week or two. Not very neurotoxic at that amount i dont believe. But perhaps im wrong.
Well, meth is more neurotoxic than cocaine. I've actually only seen people wd mentally from coke but from meth u can stay fucked for months on end with bad anhedonia.
PS a gram here and there is ok tbh, I've met people who used to snort 5 grams a day....
Fucking south América man....lols.

Quetiapine and other AP's actually block/reduce dopamine, so I can only imagine they'd make your problem worse?

Having said that, Quetiapine (Seroquel) is commonly used as an adjunct treatment for Major Depressive Disorder. Don't know why THAt AP in particular...but that must mean it has anti-depressant properties.

I was told by a PhD psychiatrist with 30 years experience in drug recovery that the best drug to aid recovery from meth was Abilify.

At the time he did explain why it is the best but I was so lost in anhedonia and general misery that I can’t recall his points.

However, I am pretty sure that he talked a lot about the rapid way it encourages/promotes/causes positive neuroplastic changes.

Also, there is research showing that Seroquel reduces stimulant neurotoxicity. I don’t recall though when you were supposed to take the Seroquel to get this benefit.

Seroquel only helps with comedown cause its also an antiadrenergic and -histaminergic, its anti D2 effects only set in at 100-150+mgs. Nobody without strong psychosis ever benefits from dopamine antagonism, Id go as far as saying that it hinders recovery by causing another imbalance and that D2 is necessary for regeneration/plasticity. What you want is to taper down on excess dopamine, which indeed Abilify offers but also memantine. Afaik they don't know yet how tolerance really works, its a very complex phenomenon involving many different chemicals, receptors and cascades.

Thanks for the input guys. The point I was getting at was that d2 antagonism from seroquel would cause upregulation of d2 receptors, reversing the downregulation caused by meth and other stimulants. This seemed like a logical conclusion, but I wanted to run it by the Bluelight crew.

Seroquel doesnt cause much upregulation, at least in dosages you might tolerate. Even 600mg just had me collapse and panic but no euphoric rebound as one might expect. Not all transmitter systems follow the same rules 🤔

Yes many drugs can cause a reverse tolerance. Like if you take naltrexone for a period of time you'll be sensitive to opioids / have less tolerance.

Seroquel barely blocks dopamine though, only serotonin and histamine primarily. Maybe a typical antipsychotic may work if only taken for a brief amount of time and let it clear out of you.

Naltrexone is an inverse agonist, not a silent antagonist like quetiapine at D2. Its strength depends on dosage, a few hundred mg will block a reasonable amount of D2, besides said others. But inverse agonists are different and would indeed work, dont kmow if one for D2 is known.