• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

USING OTC MEDS TO KICK BUPE (Imodium A Miracle???!!!)

JayJolie

Bluelighter
So, I had a huge pain pill problem for a little over 5 years. About 8 months ago, I decided to throw in the towel and get help with my addiction by taking Bupe. I was on 20mg a day. I wanted to come off, but just couldn't seem to get there. I need to also add that I take 4mg of Klonopin daily as well.

So here's the story...my Klonopin ran out 8 days before I could get it filled. So, as you can imagine, I was in Benzo withdrawal hell! I couldn't do anything...especially take myself to the clinic to take my Bupe everyday. Magically I went 8 days without taking anything. Finally got my script for my benzo and I feel much better except I do feel myself in the grip of Bupe withdrawal. But it's been 8 days!! I do t want to go back on. So I'm riding it out. The worst thing right now are the chills and the super stuffed up nose. I've done a lot of research on OTC meds to help get you through and came across the Imodium thing. And I have to say it works. I felt like I had a fever all day. It's 93 degrees here and I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and a coat all day. Anyway, bought some Imodium and took 20mg and its like most of my WD symptoms are practically gone!! Is this true??? Does this happen??

You guys have any others suggestions to help me get through the Bupe WD?? I figure I only have a few more days left, right???? Fingers crossed anyway.

I want to add...I, in no way, got high off this. It simply took away my WD's. And I guess since I was feeling better I became really talkative and social at work. I don't know. We all know the hell of WD's. If I can find something to take for a few days to get over the hardest part, I won't apologize for doing it.

I've taken loperamide for methadone w/d and it works great for me. Imodium is an opiate receptor agonist but they say it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier....but people say a lot of things i guess! I was totally 100% dopesick from kicking 100mg of methadone cold turkey (went to jail) - drank a 4oz bottle of liquid loperamide and was feeling actually pretty good an hour later. i'd read more about it before you take it though. good luck :)

I've taken loperamide for methadone w/d and it works great for me. Imodium is an opiate receptor agonist but they say it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier....but people say a lot of things i guess! I was totally 100% dopesick from kicking 100mg of methadone cold turkey (went to jail) - drank a 4oz bottle of liquid loperamide and was feeling actually pretty good an hour later. i'd read more about it before you take it though. good luck :)

It crosses, but quite poorly so. The BBB does a great job of keeping it out, otherwise it would be "centrally active" enough to warrant prescription-only status.

Please be careful. 20mg is unlikely to do damage but there are cases where loperamide has been indicated in causing severe cardiac conductance issues and deaths. Just keep the dose as low as possible and use for as short as possible if you must use it.

I've seen that. The kids on the news trying to get high. Yesterday was really bad. I took 10mg at like noon and then another 10mg at 4. Haven't had to take anything since for the chills or sweats or anything! I even used the restroom as normal. This is the best I've felt in days! I'm not keeping this trend up...just till I know I'm out of the woods on the crippling WD's. I'm on day 8...so shouldn't I've ok after 10 days...at least as far as the really bad stuff goes??

Good, good. I really doubt 10mg at a time a couple times a day will do much to the heart but there isnt really any great studies on such things. Regarding wd, if it is acting as a centrally active opioid, lope itself can cause some wd. Taper it down over next few days and see how you feel. Good luck. Ive been battling it for years. Win mostly now but oxy still finds a way to seduce me now and agIn.

Coming off of 8MG subs cold turkey. It's been a month but for the first 2 weeks I was taking 8 MG of Loperamide. It didn't completely quell the w/ds but I think it made them tolerable. I'm down to taking 2-4mgs a day. It definitely helps for sure since you aren't having to deal so much with dehydration and a burny butthole on top of all the other symptoms. :)

Yeah, I'm not proud that I have to take it, but it's better than being on the 20mg of Bupe. I'm planning on not taking any tomorrow and see how that goes. Not trying to trade one addiction for another like I have in the past. I'm over being a slave to meds.

Yeah, I'm not proud that I have to take it, but it's better than being on the 20mg of Bupe. I'm planning on not taking any tomorrow and see how that goes. Not trying to trade one addiction for another like I have in the past. I'm over being a slave to meds.

Don't rush it. I made that mistake and nearly blew a hole through the earth while on the toilet.

It's not addictive like bupe is. It helps to quell the w/ds a bit but that's about it. Im at the point now where I take just one immodium in the morning. But so far going from 8mg immodium to 2mg hasn't presented any negative side effects. I'll probably skip tomorrow since I know I won't be going out. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm telling you guys, Lope saved me. Proud to say I've been off all opiates for over a month now. That blows my mind considering I cold turkey quit 20mg of Bupe daily!! I still take small doses of Lope if I run into a rough day and it totally diminishes ALL WD's I feel. I can't believe I never heard of this until a few months ago!! I could've been free from the clinic and not spending close to $600 a month to go dose everyday. I feel like the handcuffs are off, so to speak. Currently working on my benzo taper. That's a real b**ch...but, so far, I've gone from taking 6mg kpin daily to 2-3mg daily. I know some people may really frown upon using Lope for coming off opiates, but I don't care! I feel like it gave me my life back. I would recommend it to anyone who is going through something similar. And, for anyone wondering, with the help of stool softeners and fiber, using the bathroom normally has never been an issue. I think if you're smart and safe and have the right intentions, Lope can get you out of the woods!!!

Congrats, my friend. I mean that. To anyone else reading this, if you absolutely must use lope, follow JayJolie's lead. Too much can hurt you, remember that.

Way to kick bupe in the butthole!

Only other thing is like to add is drink lots of water and stay hydrated when taking any significant amount of lope as it can dehydrate the crap out of you.

I'm still taking 2mg in the morning just to keep my turds together. :p

Awesome job Jay!