• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Using drugs to investigate sleep paralysis

ampakine

Bluelighter
For anyone who has never had sleep paralysis, it is an extremely interesting phenomenon that can reveal a great deal of insight into how sleep, dreams and hallucinations work. As someone who regularly experiences it, I can say with absolute certainty that various drugs influence it. Most notably opioids. In my case if I go to sleep on opioids I get severe sleep paralysis to the point that I can barely go to sleep because the kind of sleep paralysis I get on opioids is a lot more uncomfortable and scary than usual. The sleep paralysis I get sober isn't scary at all but on opioids it is pretty menacing. I've researched this and have came across some people claiming that opioids give them sleep paralysis and other people claiming that opioids cure their sleep paralysis. Highly interesting shit and since some people get the intense, scary kind of sleep paralysis every night and cannot live a normal life because of it, I think there should be clinical studies done to investigate the connection between opioids and sleep paralysis.

Enough about opioids though last night I was on zolpidem and remember falling into sleep paralysis plenty of times. It was not scary or uncomfortable but it was pretty intense and I had plenty of visual hallucinations which is unusual for me (I usually only get tactile and auditory ones). Also I remember waking up paralysed once or twice last night which is unusual for me because I usually only get SP when I'm going to sleep, I never wake up in it like some people do. I noticed that sleep paralysis is a lot heavier on zolpidem and it takes a lot more effort to pull myself out of it. The same thing happens with opioids. The only other drug that I recall inducing SP in me is ritalin and for some reason the kind of SP it causes is terrifying. It always comes with this rapid burst of terror just as I fall into paralysis. The terror fades away in a matter of seconds but its still an unnerving experience.

Its only some people that find opioids give them sleep paralysis but it seems most people get nightmares when they go to sleep on opioids. I do too. I think hypnagogic hallucinations (thats what they call the hallucinations you get in sleep paralysis) are similar to dreams so its not that surprising that opioids make these hallucinations more negative and menacing. Anyone else here have experience with sleep paralysis?

i usually get SP when im having a nap mid day after a night of mephedrone and alcohol, sometimes its quite violent and i feel like im having some sort of a fit

serotonin depletion can cause sleep paralysis. MDMA causes it quite frequently the night after use. Its almost totally serotonin mediated.

serotonin depletion can cause sleep paralysis. MDMA causes it quite frequently the night after use. Its almost totally serotonin mediated.

Do you have a source for this? That's a pretty strong claim to make.

nonsense.

I notice it's worse when I try to get get sex and my wife shuts me down. I think it's almost totally sex mediated. ;)

I've noticed after iv hydromorphone I get it. I've never had it before from anything, iv opiates included. It is very scary im fully awake and can sometimes feel it coming on because i get this almost rush while its starting and the wohhwohhwohh like nitrous. It feels like there's a presence holding me down almost. Very easy to see why some claim extraterrestrial experiences during sleep paralysis

I've noticed after iv hydromorphone I get it. I've never had it before from anything, iv opiates included. It is very scary im fully awake and can sometimes feel it coming on because i get this almost rush while its starting and the wohhwohhwohh like nitrous. It feels like there's a presence holding me down almost. Very easy to see why some claim extraterrestrial experiences during sleep paralysis

Yep that sounds exactly like the SP I get. I don't know what it is about that rush but I don't like it. The rush only happens right before I go into it but theres this more subtle indicator I get well before it happens. When I'm lying in bed I can feel this mild pulsation in my head and sometimes my hearing cuts off for about a millisecond. Thats how I know when I'm in prime headspace for sleep paralysis. I can't blame people for thinking it involves extraterrestrials, ghosts, demons, old hags, shadow men or any of the other crazy shit people talk about either. I can see how superstitious people would jump to those conclusions. Its pretty scary if you go into it thinking about stuff like that. If you go into it knowing they're hallucinations its fun though. Kinda like a hyperdimensional rollercoaster.

i get that rush too it gets more and more intense but i always break myself free, Nyquil and caffine mixed make me get it more often sometimes i take my dream catcher down so i can experience it

I get sleep paralysis and it can be utterly terrifying. Usually i can see what's in my room as far as my field of vision will go (or i think i do) and i always sense and sometimes see a weird shadowy figure out of the corner of my eye. We call it the old hag where i am from actually because it's almost like a old witch coming to get you in your sleep. I know a few people that have woken up terrified after experiencing it. I myself can remember trying everything i can to wake myself up including trying to scream while panicking so much it feels like my heart is going to explode.

If i don't take a benzo before going to sleep i often get it. Gabapentin also helps a good bit and so does lyrica. Opiates atleast along with other drugs like benzos, gabapentin or lyrica seem to help me. Cannabis seems to bring good or atleast very weird dreams :\ . Alcohol brings on night terrors of epic proportions for me so that is a no go.

Certain psych meds also make it worse for me especially meds that have strong anti-cholinergic or anti-histaminic side effects such as tricyclics and some anti-psychotics. Seroquel gave me sleep paralysis the first few times i took it but this went away and never came back. Amitriptyline always did it to me unless i took a benzo (usually clonazepam) before falling asleep on it. Diphenhydramine and dimenhydrinate can cause it for me as well.

I learned to kinda control it in a way when i do get it now which is very rare. I started treating it as a psychedelic trip and didn't fight it and one night i wanted to see just how far it would go and if it would actually get as real as some witch like figure appearing before me. I just lay there and let it happen and i woke up soon enough. That is not easy though :\

i get insane sleep paralysis along with night terrors which i think are linked to my bipolar. With the sleep paralysis, I get an insane buzzing/vibrating/almost electric feeling in my brain, and i become completely paralyzed with my eyes open. I get delusional and hallucinate, thinking the buzzing is some form of tractor beam from aliens trying to abduct me, and shadows in the room morph into figures and it is completely terrifieing

MDPV gave us quite a scare, it leads to sleep paralysis and we were not expecting that at all. Everytime we took MDPV (3 times and no more ) they gave us sleep paralysis 24hrs later.

I had some sleep paralysis after using large amount of mephedrone. It lasts for 3 nights after i finished 4-mmc session. Really scary, not enjoyable

As a long term sufferer of sleep paralysis I have noticed a link between taking benzos (in my case valium) and the worsening of my sleep disorder. I done some rudimentary research into this and apparently benzos do increase the likelihood of a sleep paralysis incident along with respiratory depression . It is frequent that sleep apnea occurs alongside those susceptible to paralysis so therein you get a double whammy of can't move can't breathe episodes. I'm no doctor so check the facts out for yourself. In my personal opinion/experience though there's a definite link.

Sleep Paralysis is a great launching pad for "astral travel", OoBEs and LDs.

Sleep Paralysis is a great launching pad for "astral travel", OoBEs and LDs.

Since training myself to lucid dream in 2005, my sleep paralysis has quadrupled. I used to have a hypnagogic hallucination episode about once a month until 2005, now it's once or twice a week. I guess practicing to recognize cues in waking life has made me more prone to hypnagogic phenomenon.

I've gotten sleep paralysis when withdrawing from benzos before. Fucking terrifying phenomenon if you ask me.

Never have I felt more helpless.

I don't have sleep paralysis when I ingest cannabis.
I have sleep paralysis when I cease ingesting cannabis (yes, always, not just the weeks after)

Rem sleep I suppose.

Hello OP

recurrent sleep paralysis is a recurring phenomena in narcolepsy please get a sleep study performed.
Zedsdead