• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Using alcohol as a bandaid for benzo withdrawal

uselessmerc

Greenlighter
Guys I need your help. I have run out of my long acting benzos and cannot get any more for another three days. I am worried about seizures - can alcohol work as a last resort?

Well, technically yes.

They act on the same receptors so if you drink enough they should resolve your symptoms.

But when you start to come down from your drunkeness, your symptoms will probably be worse. You'll also probably have a nasty hangover.

in theory yes it could be used as a last resort, i have no personal experience with it though

the short half-life would be a bitch but i guess you already know that

is it the only option?

Thank you guys. I haven't actually had a drink in over 10 years but I am terrified of having a seizure. I can handle all the other nasty symptoms (just) but I guess I wanted to know if there was some kind of safety net. If I had to, I would have a few sips maybe? Unfortunately, it's the only option for me. Unless you think upping my seroquel and beta blockers may help? I take these all in low doses to keep my anxiety under control.

Do not do this. It is simply trading one drug/addiction for another, and if you are an alcoholic or go on long or short benders/binges it is not going to help with the benzos withdrawal.

Instead go to a hospital or drug rehab/detox Centre run by medical professionals. Benzos withdrawal is dangerous as people have died from it.

Good luck and stay safe.

The alcohol is so short acting it will actually increase the risk of seizures. You're much better off going to a ER or doctor and explaining your emergency.

My understanding was always that if you are in alcohol withdrawal, benzos will help, but if you are in benzo WD, alcohol will NOT help, due to hitting different receptors.

which benzos are you on? what dose and for how long?

i'm assuming you're a recovering alcoholic since you haven't had a drink for 10 years - if this is the case, i would not recommend drinking now. i suppose in an absolute emergency where you were having seizure activity, a stiff drink might help a little until you got to a hospital, but this isn't advisable at all.

you said you're out of your LONG ACTING benzos. would this imply you have short acting benzos on hand?

Hey and thanks again guys for all your responses. Smacky I'm on about 3-4 30mg serepax daily. I don't have any more short acting benzos as I don't really take them. I've taken all of your advice seriously and am now sitting in a doctor's surgery and will ask for more. I'm not able to go to hospital as I have a few dependents and I really don't want to detox. It's good to know about the alcohol though - I really didn't want to go near it again if I could hep it. But there seems to be some disagreement as to whether it works on the same receptors as benzos?

Hey and thanks again guys for all your responses. Smacky I'm on about 3-4 30mg serepax daily. I don't have any more short acting benzos as I don't really take them. I've taken all of your advice seriously and am now sitting in a doctor's surgery and will ask for more. I'm not able to go to hospital as I have a few dependents and I really don't want to detox. It's good to know about the alcohol though - I really didn't want to go near it again if I could hep it. But there seems to be some disagreement as to whether it works on the same receptors as benzos?
It does work on the same receptors as benzos. The problem is that as the alcohol quickly wears off you can get fairly quick and intense rebound symptoms, including seizures. Same reason epileptics are instructed to avoid alcohol.

Thanks emjay. I managed to get some serepax to tide me over- disaster averted. Thanks everyone for your help.