thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member
Unintentional Drug Overdose Fatalities in Philadelphia, 2021
Higgins et al.
Philadelphia Department of Public Health
Oct 2022

Abstract:
In Philadelphia, PA, unintentional drug overdoses 1 contribute to significant premature mortality. In 2021, Philadelphia reported the highest number of unintentional overdose deaths on record, with 1,276 fatalities, a 5% increase from 2020. Eighty-two percent of 2021 overdose fatalities involved opioids, a class of drugs that include pharmaceutical opioids, heroin, and fentanyl, a strong synthetic opioid that is a significant driver of fatal overdoses. Trends in 2021 overdose fatalities also demonstrated a rise in deaths associated with stimulant use, with 67% of deaths containing stimulants, including cocaine and methamphetamine. While most stimulant-involved deaths also involved opioids, unintentional overdose fatalities where only stimulants were involved also increased.

Unintentional overdose deaths in Philadelphia have historically been highest among Non-Hispanic White (NH) individuals. However, in 2021 overdose fatalities were highest among NH Black individuals. Most deaths among NH Black individuals occurred in males but deaths among NH Black females increased 29% from 2020. While opioid-only deaths decreased across all race/ethnicity groups from 2020 to 2021, previously from 2019 to 2020, opioid-only deaths increased among NH Black individuals and decreased among NH White individuals. From 2019 to 2021, opioid and stimulant-involved deaths also increased at a higher rate among NH Black individuals. Stimulant-only deaths have historically been highest among NH Black individuals, a trend which has continued in 2021. Thus, racial disparities in overdose fatalities, particularly among stimulant-involved deaths, are driving the observed increase in overall unintentional overdose deaths in Philadelphia.

This CHART examines unintentional overdose trends through 2021. In addition to Philadelphia’s changing drug supply, the lasting effects of the COVID-19 pandemic should be considered when examining these trends, specifically the impact on mental health, social isolation, and access to healthcare, treatment, and harm reduction services.

Fuck. I already lost my boyfriend to a heroin overdose. Now, as I am already worried for my daughter, this. She lives in Philly and cops on Kensington. Poly-drug user to self-medicate her bipolar disorder. Stimulants were her primary drug, along with weed, every day. Now she has a Fentanyl habit:(
Sorry to hear that 💜

Hopefully you can encourage her to keep Narcan nearby and to never use alone.

I have no control over her choices. That's a fucking bitter pill to swallow! And as I have a history of heroin addiction, I cannot preach. I am hoping now that I have 5 months clean, she can see my progress and realize that ANYONE can beat this shit. I had 18 fucking years invested in my habit. I never thought I could string two days together. Cannot get cocky though. Heroin lies in wait.
Thank you for your kind words.

Synthetics are causing the ruination of recreational drug use!!!!
What I dont understand is killing ones customers. Where ya gonna get more money from?
Seems to me that this is all a chemical warfare tactic cause its def not rigged for profiting. JMO
Say you go to a grocery store and get bread... the bread kills ya and all the other bread eaters. They dont come back to spend $.
The next wave will, though, cause of ignorance or stupidity.
These drugs are not profit driven imo but created to kill.

What I dont understand is killing ones customers. Where ya gonna get more money from?
Seems to me that this is all a chemical warfare tactic cause its def not rigged for profiting. JMO
Say you go to a grocery store and get bread... the bread kills ya and all the other bread eaters. They dont come back to spend $.
The next wave will, though, cause of ignorance or stupidity.
These drugs are not profit driven imo but created to kill.
Yes, that is a good and haunting theory. I had similar feelings, like a fentanyl laced genocide. It IS fucked up. Like, some of the best and brightest are addicts and yet
some will take that risk to avoid being sick, reality...ad nauseum. I feel like a victim twice over. A victim of my fucked-up childhood, adolescence, and adulthood.
Then, a fucking victim of grimy ass dealers. Yes, I know it was my choice to pick up drugs. But damn! Used to be, the people I fucked with only wanted me to be turned on, not put fucking under.