• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Unexplained Seizures Due To Meds Perhaps? (Lyrica/tramdol/flexeril)

BitchSlap

Bluelighter
First off, I have never had a seizure in my life. That is untill last night.

I was prescribed flexeral and Lyrica for muscle spasms and nerve pain. I was also given tramadol for breakthrough pain. I had been taking them all for about 1-2 weeks with no side effects.

Last night I had took my final dose of lyrica (out of 3 daily) along with my tramadol. An hour later my back was still hurting so I took my flexeral. It was probably an hour or 2 after that that it happened.

I was getting a sippy cup out of the dishwasher for my daughter who was in the kitchen (she wanted ice water before bed). Thats all I reember. My husband said he hear a huge THUMP noise, kinda like when our son falls down (hes only 1) and bumps his head on the tile floor. But this was a huge thump and he said he kenw I had fallen down, and came in to see if I was alright.

Thats when he saw my two toddler children standing over me while i was twitching and moving violently all over the floor, stiff as a board. Of course my husband made the children leave the room, then he couldnt find his cell phone to call 911, so he st down with me until i quit seizing, it was only about 2 minutes, then he moved me to the couch and starte running around to look for his phone.

This is where my memory kicked in. I remember sitting on the couch and him acting weird asking me if I was alright and stuff and I was like "yeah, why?".
He tol me I had just had a seizure and that the ambulance was on the way.
I was in and out of it along the rest of the time thereafter but I was released about 8 hours later after CAT scan, blood test, and a brain xray all came back negative. THey have no clue what caused this.

Could the meds be the issue, or do people really just out of the blue have seizures for the first time for no reason. I am freaked out. Im scared to go anywhere alone, Im not allowed to drive until they find out WHY I had the seizure, and all I keep picturing is my little babies watching their mom having a seizure on the floor asking daddy "Is mommy alright" Then they had to see me be carried out on a stretcher.

Has anybody ever experienced an unexplained seizure? Do you worry about having another one? I have no recolection of what went on durring the seizure(thank god) but I was told that just because I have never had one before doesnt make me in the clear of not having one again.

Sorry for the babbling, I am nervouse just thinking about it.

I had my first and only seizure about a month ago while on Tramadol. They took me to the ER, did the standard procedures, and found nothing, similar to your situation. I also was on soma when the seizure happened. I'm aware that Tramadol has the potential to induce seizures, but I don't know by how much.

bitchslap how much did you take of each drug? tramadol in particular

400mg is generally accepted as the maximum tramadol dose per day, otherwise seizures can become a big risk. this maximum be lower for you because of the other meds, but i am not sure if those drugs interact with tramadol to increase seizure risk

Flexeril and tramadol both lower the seizure threshold so that could explain the seizure. Taking two drug's together that lower the seizure threshold would obviously put you at a higher risk of having a seizure.

Isn't lyrica a kind of anti-convulsant though? I guess it didnt help much then.

Why does carisoprodol lower the seizure threshold? It's a carbamate, and carbamates are basically acyclic barbiturates, so I would think if anything it would raise the seizure threshold. Does anybody have an explanation for this?

they're talking about flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) not carisoprodol.
cyclobenzaprine is not a carbamate, I think its related to TCA's

Tramadol is a king at inducing seizures. I think it's a fucked drug, I've got no idea why it's used so much. It's got to be one of the worst 'quickly prescribed' drugs for giving people serious side effects.

I have had one unexplained seizure, about 2 years ago. I was arranging poppies the day before, and that day, I had taken 5mg of Methadone twice.

I remember the batch of pods was making my heart pound, and I was having alot of trouble with respirtory depression, I had alot of trouble getting my breath. So I took a methadone the next day as said above.Fell asleep and woke up in a hospitol. I felt Like i had been ran over by a truck. I had mental phoggyness for about a day following.

It was scary, I remember the doctor said something shit about how I had THC in my blood, that is the only thing I am sure didnt contribute to the cause. .

It was very scary

I've had quite a few seizures (hence 12mg of clonapin per day). Tramadol does seem to have got itself a bad name. I would ask you doctor if he can switch you to something else for breakthrough pain. Tramadol is slow to kick in so its no good anyway. 5mg of oxcycodone or 10mg hydrocodone would be fine.