Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Uk mst continus vs morphgesic sr tablets

madonit

Bluelighter
Hi all !
Im wondering if anyone else has knoticed a difference in strength or release rates between these 2 uk brand morphine 100mg tablets. My pharmacist gave me the morphgesic brand last time i collected my prescription i ended up taking 7 tablets (im normally ok on 3 mst's!) before i could feel them starting to work either they are longer acting than mst's or do not contain the correct dose of 100mg anyone else knoticed a difference between these brands ? As im well low on tablets and gonna have to put my repeat in very early or go see my doc and moan about the morphgesic brand what shud i do ?

Just spoke to a friend of mine who says the samething that the morphgesic tablets feel weeker or 2x longer acting. Are they 24hr morphine tablets like the uk MXL 24hr release branded capsules ??? plese reply if you have been on or had these meds before need a urgent reply as tomorrow im gonna have to go in to my doc's need to know best thing to say to him dont want him thinking im just trying to blag a dose increase as thats not the case. am wondering about asking for oxycodone instead of sevredol but stay on the mst's people say they are good oxy's but i had 60mg of oxycodone instant release liquid the once and found i got about same effect of 60mg of mst continus except it just worked faster. At the time that was back in 2002 i was on methadone 40mg a day at the time not sure if methadone blocks oxycodone easier than morph ?

thanx all hope you have a great 2012 guys.

Last edited:
I'm on MST Continus 30mg twice daily plus oramorph and I've run out over the holiday weekend so I've had to get an emergency script to see me through til Tuesday and they've given me the Morphgesic SR instead so I'll let you know if they feel any different. The thing is I didn't think they were meant to change the brand once you were titrated on one or the other as the binders work slightly differently so the Morphine potentially could be released slower or faster depending on your metabolism. Both makers say this in their blurb regarding the drugs however I never know whether they are saying this because of clinical risk or they just want to sell more of their brand. I suspect it may be the latter.

Since this is a regional-based question, I'm going to move it over to EADD. EADD mods, if you feel this is better suited for OD, feel free to move it back on over here. :)

OD --> EADD

Methadone will block Oxycodone ideally you would not want to take it (meth ) for about 12/24hrs b4 using Morphine or Oxy for maximum effect , although 40ml is a lowish dose.

Jmmac

To be fair you were very lucky to get an emergency script of any of the stronger opiates if thats any consolation ?

I'm on MST Continus 30mg twice daily plus oramorph and I've run out over the holiday weekend so I've had to get an emergency script to see me through til Tuesday and they've given me the Morphgesic SR instead so I'll let you know if they feel any different. The thing is I didn't think they were meant to change the brand once you were titrated on one or the other as the binders work slightly differently so the Morphine potentially could be released slower or faster depending on your metabolism. Both makers say this in their blurb regarding the drugs however I never know whether they are saying this because of clinical risk or they just want to sell more of their brand. I suspect it may be the latter.

Well in terms of pain relief I can't tell the difference between the two, it's controlled my pain adequately. Having said that I couldn't tell you the difference in larger doses as 30mg only works out to around 2.5mg an hour and unless you're completely opiate naive I can't se this dose having any side effects or euphoria.

Methadone will block Oxycodone ideally you would not want to take it (meth ) for about 12/24hrs b4 using Morphine or Oxy for maximum effect , although 40ml is a lowish dose.

Jmmac

To be fair you were very lucky to get an emergency script of any of the stronger opiates if thats any consolation ?

Yes, i know but then I've been on strong pain relief like this for several years and obviously my Doc and pharmacy monitor it closely and i think i'd find it difficult to obtain if my records showed i was receiving more than the dosage advice. It also helps if you're being treated by the pain management clinic at the Hospital I went to for the script. I think if i'd been somewhere other than my local area/hospital then i'd been sent home with some co-codamol.

Hi all. I'm on 22ml of methadone daily.. Ive just got some 60mg Morphgesic.. are they stronger and last as long as methadone.. as the 22ml is not holding me, Ive been doing the green 15mg morphine sulphate .. any advice on strenths and life/half life on these ..
Many thanks..
RickStar !

In one word no .

There are conversion charts but i find that they are not very good especially with Methadone . 22ml is not a big dose i would recommend getting a bit more methadone than trying to guess with mSTs.

Hi all. I'm on 22ml of methadone daily.. Ive just got some 60mg Morphgesic.. are they stronger and last as long as methadone.. as the 22ml is not holding me, Ive been doing the green 15mg morphine sulphate .. any advice on strenths and life/half life on these ..
Many thanks..
RickStar !
This should help you