• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

[UK] How hard/easy is it to find a place to live?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
It's not an emergency. I am not homeless or about to become homeless.

I'm 31 and have (arguably) never lived by myself before. I mean, I HAVE; I was homeless off and on throughout my 20s, with brief times spent on the streets and the rest in various homeless hostels. I've currently been back living with my parents for about 4 years now, mostly due to poor physical and mental health.

The lack of emergency obviously means it'll take longer to get somewhere, but I'm after like an actual house or flat to live for the foreseeable, not emergency accommodation. I do have severe mental health problems, and moderate physical health problems which such mean I'm a higher priority than most people.

I can't live with my parents anymore, mostly due to psychological/emotional abuse. I had to put up with it as a kid/teen but at 31 I absolutely do not. And my health is (while, bad) finally in a place where I don't NEED taking care of. I have had a diagnoses of Dependant Personality Disorder (at around 20) which is another BIG reason why I stayed home and allowed the abuse: I had a strong need (due to trauma/PTSD) to cling to people to make me "safe" and generally let them make all decisions for me. I have worked past that now and even my psych agrees I no longer meet the criteria for that disorder.
And I'm not being ungrateful or picking at slight things said to me here. I'd never claim to be the worlds nicest person or that I always speak to everybody with calmness and kindness no matter what they say or do, but I would never talk to ANY human the way my parents feel it's okay to speak to me on a daily basis.
Like, my paternal grandmother died last night and we were quite close so I had mentioned how I had great memories of her and hoped she did of me, too and [one of them] just said "well, you were bulimic for over a decade so she probably just remembered you STINKING of SICK"......like....who tha fuck says that to someone?

Anyway, what website or government system or whatever would you guys recommend I go through both for quickness and for safety/reliability?

if you want to get social housing then you need to apply through your council and they will determine your need and prioritise you as they see fit. it sounds like you would need some sort of supported accommodation given your health status

i would also look whether there are charities that can help direct you to the right resources. i know there are some in manchester though i don't know the names.

ham it up when you apply. my ex was described as 'voluntarily homeless' because he had been chucked out of every hostel in norwich (he was incapable of doing anything apart from what he wanted so that was his fault completely). the council ignored the reams of medical evidence he supplied showing that he was in serious need, he had some chromosomal problem that caused a lot of mental and physical issues and street homelessness wasn't exactly helping. but they just blew him off every time, wouldn't even put him on the list. even when the weather dropped below 0 when they are supposed to be legally required to give you shelter, they refused. so expect them to be complete cunts basically.

they will likely try and claim you don't need housing cos you can go to your parents, which is why i reckon it would be good to get advice on exactly how you should frame it when you apply.

i'm really sorry about your grandmother. that really is a horrible thing to say under any circumstance, let alone this one.

You need a social worker, where in the UK are you currently? and to answer your thread title, yes in London it's fu#ken hard to find a place to stay.

Regional towns would be the go. Bristol is affordable and I have heard nothing but good things about the town of Leeds. In fact anywhere North of the Midlands would be great as long as you avoid Liverpool and Manchester.

Bradford is cheapest for cost of living.

Of you're willing to stay fairly local, apparently it isn't too hard at all to get a single bedroom council place.
Do you think you should live on your own RN?
Also having met you IRL I think any housing association would like you as you really don't give off bad vibes at all?!

In London girls get pregnant through a one night stand so they can jump the queue.
True story.

A mate of mine spent four years on a housing list before he got a council flat.

4 year waiting list and 12 year old girls who sell themselves for a bottle of voddy
That's the neighbours daughter

Of you're willing to stay fairly local, apparently it isn't too hard at all to get a single bedroom council place.
Do you think you should live on your own RN?
Also having met you IRL I think any housing association would like you as you really don't give off bad vibes at all?!

2 room apartments are cheaper than one single bedroom, i think ur living in another world. Isn't WE, is fuckin united kingdom. Literally you have to be something new in vocabulary to describe this i am sorry to come off like this but is the way of yin yang, to like not have a roof if you decide to live in UK. Yes! groceries are some else but a brick is a brick

I know I had the neighbours chucking needles out before that was in Swindon not london,
I was paying extortunate amount of money in rent for the pleasure

I mention London as shit can only get as bad that a 12 year old girl will suck an old guys dick think about it for a bottle of voddy

London coucil estates can be rough as fuck

Last edited: