• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.K. - The minister in charge of the legal highs bill doesn’t understand his own...

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
The minister in charge of the legal highs bill doesn’t understand his own legislation
Ian Dunt
Politics.co.uk
October 20th, 2015

Even by the Mickey Mouse standards of the psychoactive substances bill, yesterday’s Commons debate was remarkable. It is a sign of how meaningless and irrational this legislation is that the minister in charge of it seems to have no idea what he is making illegal or who would be vulnerable to prosecution.

Mike Penning’s performance was the most incompetent in recent Commons memory, perhaps even trumping the moment last year when Chris Grayling seemed to misunderstand the function of his own judicial review reforms and talked himself into watering it down in front of the entire chamber. Last night, the policing minister seemed to contradict a fundamental promise of the bill: that it would only criminalise the import, production and sale of legal highs, but not the possession of them.

“My understanding was that those who would be criminalised by the bill were those who were supplying, marketing, producing and selling,” SNP MP Anne McLaughlin observed, “but twice now the minister has made a comment that suggests that those who purchase these products might also be criminalised.”

Penning’s reply to the Scottish MP was astonishing, because it contradicted everything which had been said about the bill up until yesterday’s debate.

“We do not want to criminalise individuals for possession, but we are going to criminalise the sale and purchase of these substances. That is in the bill and in the spirit of the bill, and is in line with the work that we have done.”

Read the full story here.

Lord knows it has never been rational thought that has greased the wheels of the War on Drugs. But this is particularly appalling. :p

It was actually quite difficult for me to read this for it is not some unintelligent, biased and ideology-driven layman spewing such garbage, but someone who has a say in what millions of people will be subjected to. Most of his replies or assertions miss the point and/or are completely illogical. What is this?

Last edited:
This is so ridiculously crazy. But at least it's on the mainstream media.. when does the next delivery of common sense arrive!?

why oh why would they propose this, in my opinion, they should just make it a crime if prepared for injection, like the amphetamine becoming a class when prepared for injection, as this in my experience is the only way you can actually harm your self, legal highs have saved me alot of hastle and heart ache!

What a giant fuck up. So they've made it illegal to buy legal highs but not to possess legal highs? Surely the way it was before as stupid as it was (you could buy them as "plant food" or whatever but was illegal to sell them for consumption and I believe if caught in possession they could take it off you), made more sense?

just wanted to be a bit more specific about the iv use of legal stimulants, it aint like shooting speed or coke, it has the most horrific unnatural feeling, you will be gasping for air, and panicking in seconds, so please folks don't try and wack, legal stims bought in the uk, best way is to bomb it! trust! feel free to ask for any further advice..

just wanted to be a bit more specific about the iv use of legal stimulants, it aint like shooting speed or coke, it has the most horrific unnatural feeling, you will be gasping for air, and panicking in seconds, so please folks don't try and wack, legal stims bought in the uk,

Almost certainly correct.

best way is to bomb it! trust! feel free to ask for any further advice..

Not quite so correct. Plug it. Equivalent of IM with most drugs (but don't this with ketamine)