• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Two superb Brit TV series of recent years

dhcdavid

Ex-Bluelighter
Hi there fellow Bl'ers and fellow seekers of quality TV series and films to enjoy!

Being a Brit myself I'm the first to admit that for the most part our TV and home-grown film industry is usually not a patch on that of my brothers and sisters on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean; but occasionally us Brits come up with a series or two of such phenomenal quality - which I accidentally stumble upon - that I feel compelled to share my discovery with my fellow friends on Bluelight.......be they American, Ozzie, Kiwi or any other nationality on Bluelight.

1. Happy Valley (IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3428912/?ref_=nv_sr_1) is a six part self-contained story of rape and kidnapping in an impoverished town in the north of England. Instead of the detectives in charge being the usual handsome and beautiful (and more often than not young-ish) types, the hero in this case is a grandmother police lady with many realistic sounding problems in her home life (including an ex-junkie for a sister).

I'm not usually a big fan of TV and I really don't care for the normal TV fare of police procedurals such as CSI etc. (indeed I don't even a TV) but decided to give this a chance after reading the many awesome reviews of this show by the ordinary folk on IMDB......and boy am I glad I found this one.

If you're never seen or heard of this one I heartily recommend giving the 6-part 2014 show "Happy Valley" a chance.

2. The Shadow Line (IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1701920/?ref_=nv_sr_2 ) is my other British TV show recommendation, this time from a 2011 once-again one season self-contained show, spread over 7 episodes.

Once again I'm recommending a crime-drama but this is unlike most other police/bad guys series you're ever likely to have seen, with the exception of the also British-made Luther and American brilliance such as The Wire and True Detectives. Like the also British show Luther(which stars British actor Idris Elba of Stringer Bell and The Wire fame) The Shadow Line is a dark and gritty look at the top end of drug-dealing in the UK and the intersections between the hunters (the police) and the hunted (the drug-dealing "bad guys").

As this show's title (The Shadow Lines) suggests the lines separating the good from the bad are nowhere near as clear cut as poorly made police shows imply they are.

The Shadow Lines is imho one of the finest made TV series Ive ever watched and accordingly it merits multiple viewings, as do all the very finest moveis and TV shows. I hope you'll enjoy these two shows as much as I did.

Last edited:
Did you, or anyone here watch 'The Thick of It'? I saw the movie 'In the Loop' and believe Peter Capaldi is a great actor.

Just curious if the show was any good?

^Yes, it's a decent show.
Capaldi is fantastic. He is the Kramer of Thick of It.
But, even his shtick wears thin after a season or two.
He reminded me of that old guy from Scrubs (Dr. Cox, I think his name is).
Capaldi has a shitload of hilarious angry rants, and they keep getting more over the top.
But, after a while, you realize it's the same joke being repeated.
Definitely worth a look, though (depending on your inclinations).
A lot of the humor passes itself off as more sophisticated than it is.
It's not a brilliant piece of art, crammed with poignant commentaries.
It's a silly show, but it's funny.

The first season of the show is better than the movie, IMO.

Thanks

I can envision his shtick getting old..figured it was a show I could watch occasionally.

For added bonus watch Grantchester first, re: Hidden Valley. Norton plays a minister.