• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trying to quit opiates help. + what seems to help

Bakersman1123

Greenlighter
(feel free to move if it's posted in the wrong space)
- if you notice the post sounds funny it's because It's missing personal references

Been using for about a year snorted oxycodone exclusively.
1 month 15mg at a time
3 months 30mg at a time
3 months 45-50 At a time
2 months 60 at a time
1 month 75 at a time +15 at peak
3 weeks 80 at a time 2x per day
2 months 82.5-90 at a time.
2 weeks 90 mg every other day

Rarely use more then once per day except for a few weeks. Generally put about 18-24 hours in between but that hasn't stopped tolerence/ withdrawals from happening.

Never used at work used to do it later at night so work wasn't so bad but as these things go taking the drug got earlier and earlier making the w/d start at work. Man that sucks. As a chef we are on out feet all day long running around like maniacs and waking up at 4am sucks. Been leaving early often and taking to many breaks.

The wife has no idea that this has been going in and would flip her lid if she knew so can't tell her or try to get support.

The savings account has dropped 70% the wife didn't know it existed so that's a good thing she doesn't know and can't freak out. She would probably be happy with the amount left though of she knew.

Stopped taking it a few times for streches of 5 days and once was 18 days. Each relapse causes a higher dose.

(METHODS TO EASE SUFFERING)
1. Advil in doses of 600mg this takes some body aches away but we are suffering with hyper active nerves so that only does so much.
2. Kratom. This really works amazingly well but only for a couple hours, and is addicive on it's own. And is probably slowing down the recovery process since it hits the same sensors as opiates. Find that 6 grams give a nice happy feeling and a combo of energy and relaxation. Definitely not a "high" so much as a boost
3. Clonazepam. This is benzo that is long acting. Its great for the horrible restless legs (while body) and that weird electric jittery feeling you get with anxiety from quitting, as well as sleep precious sleep. Again this is addictive on it's own. .25ng-.50mg is effective. Don't mix with opiates and keep in mind the half life is 18 hours.
4. Water/green tea. Water is the key to everything in life and water isbtge key to opiate withdrawal. Drink as much as possible. Keeps the body lubricated and loose.
5. Highlands natural restful legs. These tablets calm the urge to move your legs.
6. Complete protein. Powder, tablets, fish, beef, etc. This boosts endorphins.

spending the money not to get high makes tapering impossible So instead been adding hours further and further away from the dose. - I know this is prolonging it and that's why I'm here. Started at 24 hours, then 36 hours, then 48 hours today made it 50 hours.

If you can believe it after a week of putting at least 48 hours in between most of the pain has stopped mood is pretty good (most of the time) inbetween doses but anxiety is huge, super jittery, and restless legs is pretty bad. Taking .25 clonazipam helps alot. But only of it's really needed to avoid dependence. There are some molments of really powerful anger that makes the urge to use spike. Just keep saying there is always going to be a pill available so stop worrying and every day you skip is money in your pocket.

What would you do to finally stop? Or at least get to once a week? I think the thing that's missing is suport. Any tips for dealing with the depression that is sure to follow?

What do you want? Sounds like your goals are about moderating your oxycodone use? Nothing wrong with that, though it may be a struggle.

And you've been using it for about 18 months? Did you use other opioids before oxycodone?

I honestly have no advice, I wasn't able to moderate my oxycodone use. When I had it it ended up being used, although my use was very irregular. I found doing it once or twice a month was a lot more manageable than weekly, never could stick to that after I started using it more often. Eventually though, regardless of how I tried, moderating my use of short acting opioids didn't work to well if I couldn't take them on a daily basis (once a day) at the least. Using every other day was very manageable for me, even every third day, but it wasn't very pleasant either, constantly in and out of withdrawal.

I only wish you the best though. It's awesome you're reaching out and asking questions. Drug use is not black and white, and I only hope you find success in what you're looking for, truly.

I want to quit. I am addicted and posting is a form of accountability. I haven't heard of anyone trying to quit using the method of just adding time until I can jump off and be done. I've tried several times to quitband have failed. I'm hoping getting on here will give me the final push.

The problem with what ivam doing is I feel like I'm stuck on day 4 all the time. I can feel my self getting better but still feeling crappy.

I had success using buprenorphine, personally (rapid taper). It helped ease me out of opiate use with minimal discomfort.

I have used methadone and suboxone exatensively over the past years getting over a bad iv heroin addiction. Miracle I have found better than Kratom and suboxone for the mental anguish and anxiety of withdrawals. PHENIBUT. A dam godsend for me. Has saved my life and allowed me to get over 70mg daily methadone maintenance Something I couldn't do with anything else. And with Subs they work great but can't take them within 72 hours of methadone to avoid induced WDs from the bupe and so I could never get back on the bupe and has been stuck Enter phenibut and I went four days zero opiates first time in 8 years! It allowed me to forget the WD in a way nothing else worked before and allowed me to sleep like I were still using and be happier than when I am numb off opiates.

If I could give you one piece of advice to get off the oxy, it would be that you have to get through it on your own. Taking other psychoactives as a way to deal with it will only replace one habit with another. You should keep decreasing your frequency of use and gradually taper your dose down to a level that won't eat up your cash and have serious long-term health consequences.

Using drugs intelligently can make the transition off dope much, much more tenable. But this can be very hard to do alone, without the support and supervision of a health care practitioner and others.

From my experience working in addiction treatment and going through long term treatment myself I found one thing to be a common reoccurrence. The individuals who entered treatment with a short history of opiate use usually 1-5 years had a better chance of staying sober compared to the long term addicts who had been addicted for over a decade.

If I was in your situation I would definitely seek out some treatment hopefully covered by your insurance. Like straight up in patient treatment if it is available for as long as you can stay. If not you should try and taper off under the care of a doctor in an IOP program. The time to act is now because it only gets harder to the point that WD's are unbearable even from stopping low doses. Just my experience.

HIPAA laws will protect your privacy and ability to safely and anonymously receive some services on an out patient basis. So believing that you can't get some type of help is not true because your wife might possible find out. Comfort meds, therapy, groups and weekly UA's could really help. I guess it comes down to how badly you actually want to be free from narcotics. The amount of addicts who actually taper down and stop without telling their loved ones or receiving any type of professional support services are extremely rare as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
I've been taking Hydrocodone (60 to 80mg/day) for around 5 years for 3 back surgeries, but unable to stick to the proper dosage, I end up running out and going through WDs on a fairly regular basis. Usually have 2 awful days, exhaustion and flu like symptoms.

However, this month I found a pretty weird combo of drugs and vitamins that has me on day three without ANY WDs. It's been amazing for the withdrawals. I'm not suggesting you go down this path, only sharing my experiences.

Note: I have no clue what it's going to be like when I stop taking this mix, but it's keeping the WDs away, which is what I was going for.

I also know that it's very likely that people will think this is a terrible idea, and I'm not disagreeing, but I'm just throwing out something that is working for me.

Each morning when I wake up, I take:
1 - standard multivitamin (One A Day for Men is the one I currently take)
1 - Super B Complex vitamin
2 - D 1000iu vitamins
6 - Immodium tablets
2 - 300mb Gabapentin
2 - 500mg L-Tyrosine

and lots of water.

Around 3pm, I take:
2 - 300mg Gabapentin
4 - Immodium

No clue on why/if the Gabapentin is helpful here, but I was desperate to avoid withdrawals and also help with the pain that I have in my back.

Again, I'm not sure this isn't a bad idea, but the withdrawals are awful and it keeps me from having withdrawals. If I intended on stopping the Hydrocodone altogether, I would likely start here and slowly taper off the gabapentin and the immodium.

Whatever path you choose, I wish you the best and a successful recovery. If this post is not allowed, I apologize.

You got the first thing down OP: A desire to quit.

I am going to touch on a couple things people have said.

I would highly suggest having someone dose out your meds to you. Most of the ones you have listed can cause dependence. It is kinda like is the cure worse than the cause. Be mindful.

If you have the opportunity to go into at least some outpatient it will be helpful. It depends on what type of treatment it is. I have come to the conclusion that 12step style recovery only helps those that cannot themselves self govern. Behavioral therapy will be much more helpful since you have only been into opiates for eighteen months. Behavioral rehab will help you learn why you use, and work on underlying mental health problems. 12step will fill your head with a bunch of ideas that may be helpful or harmful. What works for you is going to be unique for you. You cannot choose any one person's path and expect it to work for you unless you are a clone of them with the exact same experiences. I guess what I am trying to say is draw a little from each person's recovery and use what works and leave the rest.