• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Trying to quit opiates.. diagnosed with the flu

Relapz

Bluelighter
Well I stopped taking suboxone 4 days ago, yesterday I noticed I was way sicker than what normal withdrawals were like to me...

Today I went to the doctor and got diagnosed with influenza...

I don't want to give myself permission to relapse but I didn't tell the doctor about my withdrawals.. should I use suboxone or heroin until the flu is gone?

Because I am not sure my
Body can handle both of these at once I feel like I'm On my death bed.

Any advice helps. Thanks

The same thing happened to me!

In November when I got out of rehab the very day I got out I got sick with the flu and was like Wtf man I'm finally over dope sickness and now I get real sick

And I was sick for three fucking weeks.

Anyway Yea Idk. To thine own self be true. There will always be an excuse to push back on detoxing if you look hard enough.

I didn't relapse tho personally. Just took a bunch of coricidin hbp. N it sucked but was manageable.

How did the doctor diagnose the influenza? Did they actually perform a test that had a positive result or did they diagnose based solely on your symptoms?

I ask because maybe your withdrawals are just much worse than usual this time?

Yeah it seems when you take opiates you don't get sick but when you do.. it hits you.

I got some thing stuck up my nose so they actually tested for it and it tested positive

I don't think anyone here is going to advise you to take drugs. As long as you are keeping fluids down your body and your mind will survive this. Stay strong man, you can do it.

The same thing happened when I quit methadone last year. I was at 3mg per day and jump, I was use to withdrawal getting bad at day 3. Day 3 came and I didn't sleep my head was pounding and I felt like shit. I went to work assuming it was the methadone and having done this to myself I wasn't calling out, I had to leave early because the computer screen felt like it was lighting my brain on fire. Felt better in 3 days but my younger brother got the flu and said he felt like what I was complaining about... I don't know if I actually had the flu but I am fairly sure I did as I could not look at my computer at work and that's not opiate withdrawal.

Odd how this seems to be a thing.

Opiate w.d. are often very similar to the flu, so if your doctor said you have flue counting on your symptoms maybe he was wrong since you didn't tell him you withdraw from opiates.
But even if you are ill, just take a pain killer or what people take for the flu and go on your effort, after 3 days or less the flu will be gone. Stay in bed or whatever but don't go back. You started something good m8, stay strong!

I've been sick with withdrawal in the past. I just powered through it. The reasoning in my mind was that I'd rather be sick as hell and miserable once then pretty sick twice. I'd say power through and be miserable for a bit.

Being opiate free is fucking amazing.

Yeah don't use it as a reason to use. You may have had the flu whilst you were on opiates and never even realised it because they're so good at suppressing symptoms.