• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

trying to quit meth, looking for guidance

urgentrascal

Greenlighter
I have been smoking meth pretty much everyday since June. I was going through about 3 grams (5 at times) every week or 2. I have been gradually reducing, and currently have my last gram.
The first time I smoked was with my older cousins, years ago. I took a couple of hits here and there, but would never think of picking up alone if they were not present. 2 years ago on vacation,
had my first anxiety attack due to smoking meth and not being hydrated.

I am 27 years old, a regular cigarette smoker (started at 19, smokes around 6-10 a day since addiction), not a drinker, I was addicted to coke on 2 occasions both lasting around 6 months. Presently I am scared, I dont know why I started and kept smoking. I am 5'7 and weighed around 175 lbs before the addiction started, now I weigh around 145. I started getting a tight feeling on my chest (around the middle) and sometimes on my lower left peck by the armpit,
white spots on tongue, started getting panic/anxiety attacks this week because of worrying. Although some are manageable, there were a few where I broke down cried and was very frightened to go to sleep. Also my lower back started feeling a sharp annoying pain, its not really painful but it has traveled to my right calf, not sure if meth started or contributed to this.
I have a loving family and girlfriend. I was on the path of being healthy before now, i feel like Ive destroyed myself and my self confidence is plummeting, I lost my dream job and could not hold on to a new one.

Tonight I am posting this because I am experiencing tightness once again and Im very scared... I am desperate for advice and guidance.

Thank you for reading and your advice.

Hey there urgentr I'm really sorry you are going through this. Addiction is very difficult Many of us here have also lost a lot because our addiction. I was watching my house burn down in handcuffs. I got locked up I was in jail by that night. In heroin withdrawal. They asked me why I was there, while lying there I said, "my house burnt down and they found paraphernalia" Stunned silence That goes down as one of the worst days ever.

And thats only a small part of the story. Have you considered rehab? I understand that everyone feels differently in regard to that. It's just that maybe going inpatient will give you a little time to re-group And then some out-patient as well. Just an idea. Others will have some great thoughts for you.

Yes you you can get past this. I was just at a meeting where the speaker was celebrating his 3rd yr clean from meth. It definitely can be done.

Regarding your our chest tightness - go to the ER. Better safe than sorry. I'm sure it's from smoking meth. But that's the same thing I would tell one of my friends if they were experiencing your symptoms. We're here for you <3

Urgent... I beat meth back in the 80's. It can be a rough road. Meth = Anxiety. Anxiety can lead to panic and freak outs. Seen it happen enough times. Usually when you hit saturation and are coming down. The tightness is what I called the heavies. Again... Its when your coming down.

Now that you are experiencing anxiety its not going to go away when you use. You have hit the crossroads. Your mind is telling you something and you need to listen. Not trying to scare you here but I have seen folks seriously and permanently cause mental issues. Time for a change... Time to quit.

I had anxiety issues for years after quitting... Thats the price I paid.

Dude... Quit for yourself, your girl, your family and your future.

My Best...

R13

Do you have a doctor you can work with OP? I know some people who had really good luck with SNRIs to help with getting off methamp.

Also, do you have any support IRL? Like is anyone aware and supportive of what you're trying to do with reducing and possibly eliminating the methamp use?

Dude I had to just straight up MOVE away to get some space from that shit.

While it's not perfect, and I still have a long ways to go I am SO much better than in years past.

Take a break at the very least. Your post reminds me of when I was first starting using Crystal and freaking out. Calm down, take care of yourself a trip to the ER is not a bad idea come clean with people you can trust and most importantly of all take a long damn break from the meth man, obviously it is time.