• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trying to love myself and not drugs

DoctorMolecule

Bluelighter
I've recently relapsed last night on pot and cocaine, and have an extensive history with using the drug of alcohol and other drugs, at the end in dangerously and life threading ways such as IV use. I've had great success in the past with staying clean. My mood is good for the moment.
My question how does one practice self love that isn't selfish?

Two issues with this.

First, love, "real love" is never "selfish" in the negative sense of the word. This kind of love is the kind of love the kind and caring parent would give her child. It comes without condition, and certainly has more to do with kindness and companionship than any sense of possession. Selfish, as you used it, seems to have an inherently negative connotation. Love isn't inherently negative, it's the opposite. Love heals. That which is healing is love.

The bigger issue however is this idea of "self," which frankly I'm not too interested in getting wrapped up in. Suffice to say, how we conceptualize our place in the world and relate to one another (in terms of our ethics - if we even have any identifiable ones to begin with - for instance). In short, we ourselves are small things, unimportant in the grand scheme of things. It is important to acknowledge this. Yet, in our own lives, we our the most valuable treasure that will ever be. We might be small things materially speaking, but that doesn't mean we cannot have largeness of mind (which is to say, a perspective that is well rounded, understanding and knowledgeable - we all already know the pit falls of the opposite of large mindedness, that being small/narrow mindedness).

To get more concrete though, what are you talking about in your post when you say self love OP? Would you define "self love" and "selfish" as you used the concepts in your post for us? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two issues with this.

First, love, "real love" is never "selfish" in the negative sense of the word. This kind of love is the kind of love the kind and caring parent would give her child. It comes without condition, and certainly has more to do with kindness and companionship than any sense of possession. Selfish, as you used it, seems to have an inherently negative connotation. Love isn't inherently negative, it's the opposite. Love heals. That which is healing is love.

The bigger issue however is this idea of "self," which frankly I'm not too interested in getting wrapped up in. Suffice to say, how we conceptualize our place in the world and relate to one another (in terms of our ethics - if we even have any identifiable ones to begin with - for instance). In short, we ourselves are small things, unimportant in the grand scheme of things. It is important to acknowledge this. Yet, in our own lives, our the most valuable treasure that will ever be. We might be small things materially speaking, but that doesn't mean we cannot have largeness of mind (which is to say, a perspective that is well rounded, understanding and knowledgeable - we all already know the pit falls of the opposite of large mindedness, that being small/narrow mindedness).

To get more concrete though, what are you talking about in your post when you say self love OP? Would you define "self love" and "selfish" as you used the concepts in your post for us? Thanks!
I want to be more emotionally available to my wife but am having trouble setting boundaries with not getting to emotional. Selfish in the sense'its my time to relax' but self love in the sense that being able to center myself is important to me

I'm of the mindset that we can't offer our best to our partners without taking care of ourselves - and that can mean different things to different people: hitting the gym, hanging with friends, quiet time after work or in the morning, whatever.

Are you able to just have a conversation with her and say exactly what you said here? That you want to be more emotionally available to her. That you know your relationship will benefit from that, perhaps she's craving it too. But in order to be fully present and to give yourself completely you need time to _________ (whatever you need to center yourself). And can she be cool with that?

To me, that sounds more like wanting to give than being selfish. We all need time to fill ourselves back up in order to give it away, you know?