• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trying to detox from heroin using methadone taper. Need help and support though

ayr79

Greenlighter
Hi guys. I'm a long time heroin addict (15 years) although I managed to get a bit of clean time earlier this year after going into rehab but I relapsed about 3-4 months ago. I've tried various ways to detox recently but have failed miserably each time. However, I'm having another go at it over the next few days. My plan is to take 80 mls of methadone each day for 3 days then see what happens. I have a very very small amount of clonidine for after the methadone although I think I should be able to get some more. I'm staying with family just now and I'm trying to hide my using and withdrawal from them as they've had enough of my nonsense and I can't stand to break their hearts again.

The main problems I've got just now are that I work and I don't have my own place so I don't have the time and space to be able to make myself comfortable for the few days after the detox is finished when I know I'm going to feel exhausted etc. I've finished these short detoxes a few times recently and it's trying to hide the extreme lethargy that has prompted me to use again each time as my family go crazy when they see me lying about the place. I know feeling like that is only for a few days and it takes a few weeks for the energy levels to normalise themselves properly but does anyone else have experience with this or does anyone have any tips to give me like supplements? I'm not in too bad shape and I've trued exercising post detox and have a good diet along with good vitamin intake but nothing seems to help the exhaustion and I end up using again which just sets the clock back to zero again.

Please help as I can't stand to go into rehab again and if my family know I've been using they'll put me back on the street again and I'll never get clean sleeping rough in a Scottish winter.

Thank You

I would not take this approach.

Methadone has a long half life. By trying this I feel you will only accomplish tripling your time in acute withdrawls

medications for acute opiate detox

The medications I would explore the use of for detox would be:
>Clonidine< DOSED EVER FOUR HOURS..

one of either
>NEURONTIN< >HERE< >HERE< >here<
OR >Lyrica<
OR >phenibut<

>A BENZO BUT JUST AT NIGHT<
>a nsaid<
>melatonin<
tylenol
Senokot S is a stool softener and laxative. If you do not want the laxative you can go for strait stool softenerDioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate.

(Opi Withdrawal) what is the best comfort meds for opiate w/d?

Your Personal Opiate Withdrawal Arsenal

Here are some medications I would explore.

If you use the gabapentin I would use the RLS dose found in the tarascon pharmacopoeia as it seems to work the best.

Your less than seven days away from freedom from the physical dependence. You already know this is the easy part. How are you going to approach treating your addiction differently this time.. to give you the best possible success?

Hi ayr79, Lyrica, balcofen, zophran (for puking), robaxin (muscle relaxer) weed, im using kratom also its working well but you must get your dose lower before using kratom. If you can get some other ops like roxys, morphine that has a short halflife to make withdrawals easier. hang in there lots of people here fighting the same fight best of luck

a friend of mine was down a road similar to yours, length wise and intensity
he tried everything, went on methadone for years which never helped him finally get off, he got benzos prescribed to him which he got addicted to (definately a worse widthdrawal than opiates, a step back persay)
he finally went to a rehabillitation center that works under the table persay, they basically get you on a maintenence dose of whatever opiate youre on equivalant, get you mentally ready and then put you through a weeks worth of ibogaine with some valium
it not only got him over that 3 day hump of WDs but he came out of it really mentally not attached to it whatsoever, didnt even feel the need to do it again, hes tapered off benzos since and hasnt gone back, he still has that needle fever though and being 100% honest i know he does ketamine recreationally at times so i cant say hes 100% drug free but i definately can say hes not substituting K for H, this is my friend so i dont know the full story details but all i know is that his 7 day ibogaine binge at that rehab place was hell, worth it but extremely terrifying; like a scared-straight approach but drug wise, very interesting in terms of potential opiate addiction therapy and has some promising results

I took a few gabapentin recently for the withdrawal (in another failed detox attempt) and with the exception of lacking motivation and lethargy, they pretty much killed any symptoms. Clonidine aren't prescribed in Scotland, the only time I managed to get them years ago for detox was after I ordered them online. And again they definetly worked, really well in fact, but the internet was in its fledgling days then and there was barely anything info about dosing. So I ended up taking loads of them and made myself really unwell to the extent that I couldn't stand up without getting dizzy and blacking out (I didn't know they were to treat hypertension). Getting proper benzo's here now is a nightmare due to the chronic abuse levels so very few people are even prescribed them. There are countless "street" Valium available but there effects vary wildly and a lot of people are dying at present in the west of Scotland ( some interesting articles to google for all of you in The States). So finally that leaves Ibogaine. I absolutely hate tripping but I would gladly cut off my left nut to have a chance of using it.A good friend of mine detoxed with it and made a great documentary that's on youtube called "detox or die". However, it's not licenced here and he spent thousands taking it somewhere in London. I'm sorry if I sound really pessimistic it's just that I feel at the end of the road with this and I can't believe I've relapsed yet again. I feel as though I'm never going to get out of this. I've got some suboxone there but I couldn't use any for a few days due to the methadone in my system,. I took it too early a few weeks ago and went into hellish precipitated withdrawal, while at work. And if/when I manage to get clean again, I'd have to put my resentments with NA to the side and go back to the meetings.