View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Trip-sitting for someone with a history of psychiatric problems

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
I'm 24, and I will be trip sitting for a man in his early-mid 30s. He'll be taking an eighth of mushrooms, I'll be taking a nibble to get slightly in the zone.

He's had a hard past. His mother was emotionally abusive in a very passive way. He had a wonderful romantic relationship that ended with him being robbed and beaten for no apparent reason. Needless to say, he's built up some mental shields over time. His ego seems very very strong. He's a highly intelligent man, and used to be incredibly functional and successful, but for the past few years he's been agoraphobic.

In person, he's an incredibly sweet man. Sometimes he can trail off into negative thinking/conspiracy-type stuff, but in general, he's polite, respectful, logical, and extremely well-intentioned.

In talking about our upcoming trip, I asked him if he was sure if he wanted to do this, and he said "I'm sure you can relate to this--ANYTHING is better than this, as far as states of mind go." Meaning, for years he has been in mental agony--fear-based thinking and a whole ton of it. So this trip offers something that's at least different.

He understands that he is making this decision for himself, and I think in general his approach is healthy. He has no expectations, mainly because he's never tripped or gotten high. He has taken other meds like adderall, but he's been medication-free for several months.

I'm wondering how much we should talk about the potential directions of the trip. On one hand, having no expectations can be a wonderful thing in a drug experience. On the other hand, there's part of me that wants to tell him: "Your ego is going to fall apart. You may be put in touch with a part of yourself that you have not been in touch with for many years. Are you sure you feel ready to do this?"

I feel I owe it to him to outline the general tendencies of the trip, but I don't want to put negative thinking into his head, because I know he can take that and run with it, if you know what I mean. I want to make sure he knows how powerful the experience can be without making him fearful.

From my experiences, the best input I could give would be to let the trip ride out in the beginning. Try to just let him geek out (as lame as that sounds) and just enjoy the trip without as much thinking. This will put him in a good frame of mind. After he's in a established frame of mind then I'd start talking about some of the problems he has faced in his life. If you start to talk to him right off the bat about something so serious, he may become paranoid and start being delusional. I wish you and your buddy the best of luck, for this experience has the potential to be life changing. If you got anymore questions I'll answer whatever you want from the head up down to the ankle bristle.

I think you should try and set it up to be as light hearted and fun and goofy type of trip you can, you know give him a nice and easy introduction to psychedelics so he isn't scared off for the rest of his life, and maybe scale the dosage down a bit to 2.8 or 3 grams.

I think you should try and set it up to be as light hearted and fun and goofy type of trip you can, you know give him a nice and easy introduction to psychedelics so he isn't scared off for the rest of his life, and maybe scale the dosage down a bit to 2.8 or 3 grams.

The only thing that would make him scared for the rest of his life is someone having negative vibes in the scene, which doesn't sound like the case. This person seems hungry for this experience yet isn't begging for it. Go the full amount and everything will go well.

The only thing that would make him scared for the rest of his life is someone having negative vibes in the scene, which doesn't sound like the case. This person seems hungry for this experience yet isn't begging for it. Go the full amount and everything will go well.
Yea but everyone is different when it comes to what gives them negative vibes, and some people just flat out don't like the psychedelic mindstate. I'm just saying that for someone with as rocky a past or however the op was trying to describe him, as this guy you should try and make it as easy going a trip as you can if that's possible, not try and get all deep and what not for his first time. I guess scare him off wasn't the best wording but put him off.

I've struggled with this myself. It's hard to say where to draw the line with info so someone is properly informed but you aren't affecting their trip or projecting your expectations onto them.

I try to be as general as possible while still being informative. It's a fine line, but definitely focus on the positive & maybe give a brief nod to potential negative outcomes, but certainly don't focus on it.
And it would be advisable to have some propanolol, benzos or something like mirtazapine on hand just in case. And make sure he knows it. Usually knowing that the trip can be stopped is enough of a mental security blanket to prevent it from needing to be.

Good luck!

^ Thank you, that was very good advice. I do happen to have some diazepam on hand, so that'll be good. And I'll tell him. I'm glad you can relate to how delicate the pre-trip talk is.

T-10 minutes! I'm hella nervous. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
How did it go? I'm rooting for a successful trip, in the sense of having been a positive experience for him regardless of any effect on his mental state, since he hasn't tripped before, and I'd think that a second trip would be the ideal venue for exploring problems while the first is used just to familiarize him with the state.

Anyway let us know if you can!

I would also like to know how it went. I myself have been working through somewhat significant mental health and emotional issues for a few years through meditation, exercise and regular therapy but am currently looking for a sitter myself since I'm still dealing with high baseline anxiety.

Point is, any experience here that I can pass along to them would be greatly appreciated, particularly on dealing with any distressing paranoia or ideas of reference that might come up.

If somewhat cheesy, this is a good introduction to how to be with someone who's tripping. Applies to people tripping who aren't necessarily having a bad time either. :)

Just my two cents, I have a fucked up past. I love drugs and can handle large amount of benzos, opiates, alcohol, amphetamine. Man give me a half bottle of vodka, some benzos and I'll bang an opiate and I'll still be hanging around, not sleeping and being a nuisance :). Whilst on alcohol, I get into the odd fist fight or two..etc

Give me any psychedelic, a small mushroom or weed or even 200mg of DXM and I'll have a panic attack, lose my ego and think about the past and be hiding under my bedsheets, closing my eyes and waiting until the high is over, take a large dose of sleeping pills to sleep. rofl, watch out. The mind is not to be fucked with. If he is going to flip, he will and you will not be able to stop it, especially since it is his first time. HAVE BENZOS ON HAND.

The mind is not to be fucked with. If he is going to flip, he will and you will not be able to stop it, especially since it is his first time. HAVE BENZOS ON HAND.

I agree. Someone in their mid 30s with underlying mental issues that's never tripped or gotten high eating 1/8th of mushrooms just sounds like a bad idea to me. If nothing else why not start with a lower dose? IMHO an 1/8th even for someone without his problems is a pretty large first time dose.

It's hard to make a generalization about psychedelics in people with psychiatric issues. It all depends on the individual configuration of the person in question. There can be subtle to gross personality overhauls, including total transformation. There can be pain. There can be psychosis.

If they are seeking it then some part of them must feel it is needed. As the trip sitter you should try to foresee and prepare for any contingency.

^Thats true. Juggling medications and trips and thoughts and feelings can almost be an art. Neurotransmitters are tricky things.

I'd be intererested to see how the dude integrated the trip.