• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Transgenderism, Orientation, and Two People in Emotional (But Not Physical) Love

indelibleface

Bluelight Crew
I debated whether to post about this in a public forum or not, but seeing as my significant other doesn't frequent this part of the web, I'm pretty safe posting this for the time being (not that I would ever use specifics or anything). I generally appreciate advice from Bluelight on certain issues, so here I am this evening.

My significant other and I have been together for over a year now. He's 23, and I'm 27. Both of us are transgender and well into our respective gender transitions. I've been transitioning for over a year and a half and have been taking hormones, doing facial electrolysis, et cetera. I've been living as a woman since March of this year. My partner has been transitioning with hormones for about six months.

When we first met, he was clearly female, and visibly was for the first six months of our relationship. At the time of us making our relationship official, I had been on hormones for four months and already looked pretty feminine and acted female (although I wasn't exactly living as a woman yet). He met me in this phase, and we fell in love with each other. I knew he wanted to transition and I was completely okay with that, but I might have not considered the entire scope of what that meant. I knew he would begin to look more masculine at some point, and that his voice would drop significantly, and that he would grow facial hair. I knew these things at the time, and I knew it would happen eventually, but I guess I didn't fully consider how much his transition would affect me. To him (a pansexual), all of the changes happening to me made me, according to him, more beautiful by the month. I called myself a pansexual too, because I really did think that personalities mattered most to me, and that I was, on some level, attracted to either gender.

And then, the night before he was going to receive his first testosterone shot, I broke down crying in bed with him. I started to panic. I suddenly realized that the voice that I knew and loved and felt comfort hearing during pillow talk would soon change and be unrecognizable. I realized that his face would change and become more severe and chiseled. His body would change shape. He would smell differently. All of this hit me at once like a hammer to my chest. And I blew up. I was scared.

After we resolved that temporarily, things just went as normal for a while. I broke down crying again a few months later, but we resolved that too. Our bond is really strong. We have such a wonderful emotional connection, to the extent that we can always calm each others' nerves whenever one or both of us is sad. I found things to like about his transition--his aggressiveness in bed for instance. His happiness. His new outgoing demeanor and confidence.

Lately, I've been having these feelings, and I think he knows that I am beginning to feel this way. I don't think I'm as pansexual as I thought I was. I have been feeling very unattracted to him lately. His body, voice, smell, and hair growth has changed very significantly. His...lower parts are becoming more masculine (hormones do have an effect down there, but I'll leave it to you to look it up). I look at old photos of him/her and I find myself vastly more attracted to his more feminine qualities. It hit me violently and suddenly--do I just like women? All growing up, when I identified as a man, I exclusively dated women. I only dated a few men, and it never worked out properly. Now, having almost fully transitioned to a woman, I'm finding myself more attracted to the female gender. Oh, it was fine when I was a man, because at the very least, seeing men made me feel more feminine, and that's why I thought I might have been gay at first, before I realized I just wanted to be female. Now, as a woman, I feel feminine every day. I just think that my primary attraction has always been towards women, not men, and I was fooling myself before. You can see how confusing it can be to wrestle with orientation as a transgendered individual, at least in my case.

So, I think I'm a lesbian. A male-to-female transgender lesbian. I'm a real project, aren't I?

And, it's funny to me how important both sexual/physical and emotional attraction are. Why can't emotional attraction be enough? The truth is, it's not (obviously), and I'm very quickly affirming that for myself*. I can't simply avoid having sex with him. If anyone could, then two It's just that our emotional attraction is so deep, that I wouldn't even mind not having sex with him if it meant we could be together. I realize this sounds weird, and even slightly offensive. It offends me, because I know he craves sex and I know that this can't go on. If I really do just like women, there's no way to make this work, is there? I feel stuck. Sometimes sex with him is just fine, but I'm not sure if it's because my brain subconsciously perceives him as a rather masculine woman or not. Maybe I'm just cheating myself?

On the other hand, he came to me last night and specifically said that he's been feeling very afraid of commitment lately. He's not sure if he wants to have anything long term. It feels like he might be implying that we are both on the cusp of a brand new gender, and that perhaps we might want to go ahead and explore the world as single individuals in our new skin. At least, that's what I hope he feels. I feel like that might be the best option.

What would you say or do in this scenario? Is there a way to end this and still remain friends? We still have a powerful emotional bond. I just...I've never had a clean, mutual breakup. I just hope that there might be a way to accomplish that, given this absurdly complex situation.

*(edited) If emotional attraction was all that it took to be in a relationship, then a straight man and a gay man could be in a relationship, or a gay man and a lesbian woman. It clearly doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
i should preface my response by saying that I am not transgendered so I really can't comment on the difficulties you are both going through in regards to losing attraction due to both transitioning. Its not something that I have any experience with.

In terms of you no longer being attracted to him but still loving him. I think that is fine, healthy and completely acceptable. I think if once you have made a decision on what you want to do in terms of your relationship with him (and it seems like your on your way to making one), if you choose to no longer have a sexual relationship with him, I think that you could both remain friends. In fact, former lovers can be the best of friends, provided that neither was greatly hurt by each other. I think you can still keep being friends and be in love with one another too.

i guess the first step has to come with you talking to him about all of this. By the sounds of it, he may be thinking along the same lines.

I wish I could offer you more advice but this is a bit of a unique situation you're in. Hopefully someone else on here can be more helpful.

This makes my brain hurt with complexity, and I'm in the middle of reading of a paper on looped quantum gravity.

But second the above poster on the opinion that former lovers can indeed be excellent friends so long as they stopped being lovers on amicable terms, which this sounds like it would be.

First off, congrats on both of y'alls transitions! I hope everything goes smoothly. Second, it sounds like you're in a sucky situation. It sounds like you were in love with the girl your boyfriend was. I think the best thing to do is to break this off as soon as possible so you're not stringing him along. The sooner you do it, the less likely you are to hurt him. It sounds like y'all would be great friends. Good luck!

First, I can't completely relate seeing as I'm a female (always have been) and I'm mostly attracted to males.

But it seems like you are both transitioning a lot. You had each other there for you during the transition. Now that you're (almost) completely transitioned, things have changed. You aren't necessarily attracted to each other anymore. It is expected. If my boyfriend turned into a female, I probably wouldn't be able to love him the same way anymore, because it is very different.

If you are both feeling similarly, you could always just stay friends.
Have you considered an open relationship?

Sorry for the long wait in reply. I've found it difficult to return to this topic.

We have considered an open relationship, or seeing each other less at the very least. Making things less of a strong, indefinite commitment, so to speak. I think that's where we are heading, although I still have jealously issues in an open relationship. I don't think my brain is built for open relationships or any level of polyamory. I think we're getting to the point where if we were to break things off, we could do it mostly amicably.

We'll see. I'm still trying to figure out my place in the world now as a female, so, maybe I do need a break from relationships so I can explore the world a little as a single woman. I'm not going to make any rash decisions yet.

Sorry for the long wait in reply. I've found it difficult to return to this topic.

We have considered an open relationship, or seeing each other less at the very least. Making things less of a strong, indefinite commitment, so to speak. I think that's where we are heading, although I still have jealously issues in an open relationship. I don't think my brain is built for open relationships or any level of polyamory. I think we're getting to the point where if we were to break things off, we could do it mostly amicably.

We'll see. I'm still trying to figure out my place in the world now as a female, so, maybe I do need a break from relationships so I can explore the world a little as a single woman. I'm not going to make any rash decisions yet.

sounds like you "love each other" but are not "in love". lets take the gender out and see it for what it is, a relationship with a lost spark. you can remain friends but you will need to look elsewhere romantically scary as that might be. you have provided emotional support for each other but now it needs to become a friendship as you cannot live a lie (which i'm sure your aware of). honesty is the best policy and moving on as friends seems like the best idea

I know the OP and I'll vouch for how far she's come in her transition. It was an adjustment at first, because the last time I saw indelibleface, indelibleface was bisexual and male. indelibleface is now living as female. I accept indelibleface either way and am happy to be friends.

So, you met up with a person who was born male and identifies as female. Both of you are well along your path to transition. If you're a transgendered lesbian, aside from the fact that the heteronormative majority won't really get this, you're living as the gender that you feel right about. So is your boyfriend. There is a lot to love about women, we do smell very good, are soft and squishy and sweet. There's also a lot to love about men, they smell good too, they can open up cans and write their names in the snow. ;) Each gender has its own unique attributes, whether assigned by genetics or otherwise. Even as a mostly straight woman I can appreciate the beauty of a woman's soft curves and sweet skin smell. Estrogen is a hell of a drug, isn't it? ;)

I agree with pofacedhoe that the spark may have dissolved romantically between you and your friend. Incompatibility as romantic partners isn't necessarily assigned by gender. Particularly resonant is that "you can't live a lie" - maybe you and your friend respect each other and will work out better as friends than lovers. You are both undergoing a transformation, a period of growth - it's natural to question this and be hesitant, even afraid on occasion. The best friendships make the best relationships. You've been a great friend to me, I support you in all your endeavors. Your person of interest is very lucky to have you in their life.

Kind of confused about what kind of sex Ur having, especially if it's typical M/F sex. If it's lesbian sex, that might be easier to mitigate, i.e., control.

I'm TS (m2f) and think it would be cool to date a f2m . . . several of my FB friends are.

After U lose testosterone (have the surgery), U may have zero sex drive.

My ideal relationship would be asexual, like brother/sister (i'm bi).

Im sorry to interrupt or if in wrong place im nervous n scared want to try sex with feminine transgender