• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Took suboxone one time - how long before I can take methadone?

RepairCPR

Greenlighter
I need advice.

I have been on and off methadone for months. Ran out of methadone and was offered a 8mg suboxone strip to "tide me over." It was around 24 hours after my last methadone dose, and I didn't do my research. Found out very quickly was "precipitated withdrawals" were all about. It was miserable. Cold, sweats, runny nose, water eyes, stomach cramps, etc., all that just ramped up to a crazy level instantaneously. That was 24 hours ago. Now I am experiencing what I would describe as more typical w/d symptoms for me, which are basically just milder versions of the same symptoms I normally have when I w/d.

How long should I wait before I take methadone again? I don't want to waste it, but I am also looking forward to some relief. I have read other forum posts extensively, but most of them seem to be directed towards people who have been on suboxone maintenance for some time. I had never even heard of it before yesterday, and I dissolved one 8mg strip under my tongue almost exactly 24 hours ago. Could I take methadone right now? It is likely I will feel the effects? Or should I wait x number of hours to be sure not to waste it?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

With a single 8mg dose, you're free to take your dose after the 24hr period. At least, in my experience it's true. People who consitently take high doses of suboxone will need to wait a couple of days.

Thanks. I was hoping for an answer like that. I'm anxious to feel better, but I don't want to waste it if the sub still in my system would render the methadone useless!

You don't have to wait at all to take the methadone. Any opioid AFtER suboxone is fine.

It's how long to wait before you take the suboxone that causes the issues like precipitated wd.

Heck, you could dose methadone immediately after a sub. You just would probably waste most of it. But as you said it has been 24 hours you should be fine to dose methadone whenever you like

I take about 100mg of methadone a day and ran out for 5 days..on the 5th day of no methadone I took a 8mg suboxone and it did nothing, but at least I did not get sicker, I had a Dr's apt to get my methadone script if I could have hung on for 3 more days. So I ended up cancelling my Dr sppt in case he dropped me with a drug test. there is no way to explain suboxone on my test. Luckily I found some methadone the next day, but I had to same question about how long it took to get out of your system. Glad to know I don't have to wait long.

You don't have to wait at all to take the methadone. Any opioid AFtER suboxone is fine.

It's how long to wait before you take the suboxone that causes the issues like precipitated wd.

Heck, you could dose methadone immediately after a sub. You just would probably waste most of it. But as you said it has been 24 hours you should be fine to dose methadone whenever you like
This is exactly right.