• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Too emotional and tired of it

I bet if u polled opiate addicts the one thing that they struggle with the most is emotional sensitivity.thats why people are worried about your post..meditation is the only thing that has helped me with this..separating the emotional response from the thoughts in your head is a life long path that is kind of fighting who you are that's why its tough.

Also, I would be curious what the definition of social intelligence is. I don't think my layman definition would fit into the way it's being described above.

Currently, there is no dominating definiton of social intelligence within social sciences. A simple way of explaining the meaning of the notion would be to say that people with a high social intelligence has good "people skills". However, a person with a high social intelligence should not only be good to interact with other people himself/herself, the person should also be able to help people he or she is interacting with to achieve better relationships with each other.

Several conceptualizations exists and how you define social intelligence will be different within different philosophies of science and even within the same paradigms and schools of thought one might find conflicting definitions.. However, when working with subjects such as this I often take a relational responsive approach developed within social constructionism inspired by an intersubjective ontology. In this perspective social intelligence will be related to the relationship between people and how good you are to make a relationship mutually beneficial for both you and the ones you are interacting with instead of thinking of yourself only. Social intelligence is also influenced by how good you are to read other people and get a feeling and understanding of how they feel. A high social intelligence will make you very susceptible to the feelings of other persons, thus making you very good at emphasizing with other people and their situation. You will also be good at communicating with others and make other people better at communicating as well. But before you can excel at understanding how other people feel you need an emotional intelligence of your own so you can understand your own feelings as well and posses self-insight and the ability to be reflexive and to reflect. People with high social intelligence can for instance be beneficial to place in a department within an organizations that is not currently functional due to arguments and generally irrational behavior. Here the person will be able to identify the reasons why the people making up the group have problems working together and identify whom have had their feelings hurt in the group and why and whether this is an overreaction or not as well as identify people that might actively be attempting to sabotage the department by wreaking havoc and chaos. To stop the trouble-maker the person with a high social intelligence might first attempt to identify the feelings and reasons that are causing the trouble-maker to behave as he does and see if it is possible to help the trouble-maker and make him feel better and thus integrate him better in the group by appealing to his emotions combined with rational arguments explaining why it might be better for the trouble-maker to stop the behavior that causes troubles and what he in turn will gain from this.

If you are intersted in reading more about social intelligence within the same philosophy I mentioned you could take a look at books like Narcissistic Behavior in the Postmodern Era: The Study of Neuropsychology by Rudolph Hall and Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships by Rudolph Hall. These are okay books, but not excellent. However, the best books I can refer you too will require a deeper understanding of the differences between modernism and postmodernism within social sciences and a good understanding of social constructionism. Kenneth Gergen would be a good place to start if you with to understand this particular kind of social constructionism I am referring to. However, this is scientific books and will make no sense to people without an academic background within such disciplines as anthropology, philosophy, sociology, economics and business administration, psychology et cetera.

However, I think books exist that are more readily available to people without a background in social sciences who are interested in emotional and social intelligence and how you can use them to get a better life by gaining more self-insight. Now I start to sound like somekind of life coach and I definitely not want that :p But for addicts and people with psychological problems, reading about emotion and social intelligence might be helpful in terms of getting a better life. Though it is no guarantee as I am evidence of :p You may know every theory known to man within social sciences and still end up as an addict with severe psychological problems :p One benefit though, is that I can have fun experimenting with therapists et cetera and see if I can act in a way that will make them give me a diagnosis that is completely wrong. This might be juvenile and dangerous behavior, but hey, a scientific experiment is a scientific experiment :p

This page https://www.karlalbrecht.com/siprofile/siprofiletheory.htm and this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_intelligence can be used as a quick introduction.

While searching for more pages that a layman might be able to benefit from I found some page that are specifically about addiction and social intelligence https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233978774_Social_intelligence_indicators_for_addiction_disorder_patients
https://www.addiction-ssa.org/symposium/presentation/changes-of-indicators-of-social-intelligence-for-substance-use-disorder-pat
http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=LV2012000629

However, I havn't looked closely at any of the links or read them yet. I will have to do that before I can assess the quality of the pages. I will do this later, but they might be interesting and helpful

Last edited:
Just because alchohol doesn't make you emotional while on it.....doesn't mean it doesn't affect you while you are sober the next day. I was always a happy drunk...but after a couples years of heavy drinking I started getting really nasty and aggresive the day after I drank. Yelling at people I love, hating people, even lost a job because of this and it took me a while to realize it was the alcohol doing this...because when i stopped drinking my mood fixed itself

Hey I said exactly the oposite. When I am drunk I tend to become too emotional but I don't drink so often that alcohol would affect my sober character.

Hi everyone.
Well, I was actually about to write a big text about how being too emotional ruins my life even if I try not to express my emotions too much to the people around me but...it's just not easy to explain it.
So I will go staight to my question. Is there any drug, legal or illegal that will make me less emotional? I mean something I can take and stop worring about things I can't change, stop carring so much if my girl realy loves me, stop getting angry when a friend says he is too tired to go out with me, stop feeling depressed when something doesn't go as I want it, u know?
I know, for example, that heroin is that kind of drug but I want something that won't ruin my life more that emotional sensitivity does. And it would be better be a drug that is not too addicting and not too sedative.
Any personal experiense would be welcome.

Drugs will do that. Make you forget your problems, feel great, etc. It's just really hard to maintain that sort of thing because it's super expensive.

benz/opi or other GABAergics will sort you out, but they won't fix the issue, they will only suppress it for a few hours

...and make it worse in the long run.

I know an early stage alcoholic with suspected narcissistic personality disorder who rages the days after drinking. Of course, those with NPD can only really hide behind their false self until they'really in hot water, so to speak, when their true self comes out.

I try to avoid this person whenever possible. I'm not suggesting you do have NPD, a lot of anxious/depressed people who turned to drugs are children of narcissistic parents, anyways. I am suggesting that your drinking is a problem and that you need to get into therapy asap.

forgive me if its already been suggested but its sounds like you would benefit from some sessions of group cognitive behavioral therapy?
and this one's a real, reaaal long-shot but i had a friend overcome his social anxiety via MDMA..