• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tobacco

That just reminded me of something. When I used to experiment with high-dose (360+mg) DXM, it made the idea of smoking seem utterly unnatural and repulsive to me. It was almost like seeing myself from outside of my body... not visually, but metaphorically. DXM always forced me to look at things in a coldly analytical way, rather than romanticizing them.

I watched this dude (me) set fire to one end of this little stick made from leaves and paper, put his lips around the cellulose acetate filter on the other end, suck the smoke into his lungs, then blow it back out into the air. The whole ritual just felt very, very... wrong.

Yup. Smoking after using stuff like DXM is horribly disgusting. It’s really been a huge help in the past to cut down on smoking, but there is a lot of side effects from DXM too so it has to be approached very carefully. Most folks hate the stuff.

Yup. Smoking after using stuff like DXM is horribly disgusting. It’s really been a huge help in the past to cut down on smoking, but there is a lot of side effects from DXM too so it has to be approached very carefully. Most folks hate the stuff.

Oh heck yeah! I had the worst trip of my life on that stuff. Definitely better ways to quit smoking...

I have always wondered what it would have been like to use tobacco the way the First Nations people used it. Tobacco was a sacred plant; grown naturally, cured naturally and smoked ceremonially. The effects of tobacco were, among other attributes, considered to be "grounding", as was the whole ceremony surrounding ingestion. Can you imagine using tobacco that way? Because it was not used daily, or at least not in the copious amounts people consume now, addiction was not a problem.

I think it is also interesting that tobacco smoking (not chewing) is considered to be an HR measure for some people diagnosed with schizophrenia--again, the act or ritual, of smoking has a grounding affect.

Tobacco or Indian Tobacco (Nicotiana rustica), Kwshatay (tobacco) or Lëni
Kwshatay (Indian tobacco).
There are various uses of Indian tobacco.
Herbalists were paid with gifts of
tobacco. Tobacco smoke blown into the ear was believed to be a cure for earache,
and holding the smoke in the mouth was a cure for a toothache. A wad of tobacco
was chewed into a soft pulp to keep swelling down and reduce the pain if applied to a
wasp sting.
Among the Delawares tobacco was considered a magic plant. It was offered to
the creator and to other spiritual agents as the occasion warranted. Tobacco was
burned like incense in an open fire and wa
s used during prayers and incantations by
medicine men.
When an herbalist gathered roots or leaves in the woods he customarily
sprinkled tobacco at the base of the plant as an offering to the spirit of the plant.
Before the plant was collected a prayer such as this was offered.
“We know that you
are good. We know that you have powers. This person is sick, so please help him.”
The offering of tobacco is extremely important because tobacco transmits the
message to the spirit force of the plant and if used without a gift of tobacco it
was considered weak medicine.
Tobacco was used to quiet angry waters; to allay destructive winds; to seek
good luck in hunting; to protect a traveler; to
return thanks to the creator; to console
the bereaved; and for other religious purposes. Tobacco was also used during the
naming ceremony.

(from an ethnobotany paper about the Delaware Tribe

http://www.herbcraft.org/kinnikinnick.html

Last edited:
I have a friend who found a blend of tobacco, rooibos and black tea helpful after sobering up. I imagine it would be pretty addictive though, especially as the nicotine would likely be stronger in a tea.

I have always wondered what it would have been like to use tobacco the way the First Nations people used it. Tobacco was a sacred plant; grown naturally, cured naturally and smoked ceremonially. The effects of tobacco were, among other attributes, considered to be "grounding", as was the whole ceremony surrounding ingestion. Can you imagine using tobacco that way? Because it was not used daily, or at least not in the copious amounts people consume now, addiction was not a problem.

I think it is also interesting that tobacco smoking (not chewing) is considered to be an HR measure for some people diagnosed with schizophrenia--again, the act or ritual, of smoking has a grounding affect.

Oh yeah, absolutely! I was just reading a book called "Secrets of Native American Herbal Remedies" and it was saying how they weren't addicted to smoking back then like we are now; They used it mainly for medicinal healing and in shamanic practice.

I have a friend who found a blend of tobacco, rooibos and black tea helpful after sobering up. I imagine it would be pretty addictive though, especially as the nicotine would likely be stronger in a tea.

Tobacco tea? Ooh, I get heartburn just thinking about that! Sometimes I use a pinch of cigarette tobacco as "chew" and wind up swallowing it (either because I can't spit wherever I am or out of sheer laziness), and my digestive system never seems thrilled about it =D

Last edited by a moderator: