Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

TMA (176 mg) - New Experience

planckunit

Bluelighter
There was not a lot of information publicly available about the effects of the compound: all I cound find was pihkal, a few articles from the 1950's/1960's and some google-translated reports from the book “psychedelische chemie”. Typical dose referenced is 100-250 mg and it is said that an equivalent dose of mescaline is about 2 times the dose of TMA.

(times are approximate as I didn't take notes at the time)

T+0,00: Approximately 2 hours after a light breakfast, 176 mg of TMA(=3,4,5-trimethoxyamphetamine) was taken by me, in the form of the Hcl-salt. A friend takes about 140 mg of the same substance.

T+0,30: Awareness of foreign chemical in body

T+1,00: First mild psychedelic-type effects are noted. I think at this point it is decided to stop watching animated television series as a “come-up”-activity, and to start listening to music. It should be remarked that, for me, listening to music is a typical and crucial element in a succesful psychedelic experiment. And, indeed, most of the day was spent listening to a varied selection of albums.

At this moment there was some uneasiness: slightly uncomfortable body effects were apparent(feeling cold, shaking a bit, and some queesiness of the stomache), and I feared they would worsen, given that nausea and other uncomfortable effects are generally reported for the TMA-series. There was also the typical come-up mental unease/anxiety, perhaps a bit inspired by the body effects too. I have to note that this unease is typical for psychedelic come-ups for me, and was not particularly more intense than it would be for other psychedelics.

T+1,30: At this point, I felt as if the peak was reached and maximum intensity was already there(this turned out to be wrong!). I also noticed some mild visuals with eyes closed, but I did not really focus on them. I was already enjoying it quite a bit. Also, mental and physical unease are at this point resolved.

T+2,00: Intensity is still rising a lot. In retrospect, I would say that the peak of the experience started at this moment. From this moment until many hours later, it took a lot of effort to communicate succesfully and it was hard to form sentences. This was no problem, though, as most of the experience was spent listening to music and not speaking except perhaps when some thoughts would be shared when switching between albums. I also noticed that I had a hard time interpreting things that were said to me.

T+2,30-4,00: Strong visuals become apparent. On surfaces I could see rapidly moving, intricate, kaleidoscopic geometric patterns. I was impressed by the detail and variation in these abstract designs and there was a certain sense of depth/3-dimensionality to these visuals. Clouds where also morphing and moving very fast and had unusual complexity.

When I closed my eyes, I would instantly get sucked into the music, and I could picture various scenes/thoughts/feelings which were somehow associated and interlocked with the music. I particularly remember feeling as if I was travelling through an enormous white hall when listening to a certain minimalist/ambient track.

T+4,00: It is hard to even imagine what the sober state is like, and I am continiously bombarded with all sorts of interesting and strange thoughts. Time is passing very slowly. My tripping companion says that he feels as if the level of intensity will be maintained for at least an hour, and I agree. At the same time, based on experience with other compounds, I have the feeling that there would be a rapid drop in intensity after the T+5,00 point.

T+5,00: Effects are still stronger than ever, the “body-high” is at this moment also strong: the good feeling is related to the music that is playing, not completely unlike the effect of MDMA with music.
As there was no reasonable food in the house, I put on my cell-phone and started to send a message to a friend who coming by later that day, asking if he could perhaps bring some food along. The text message was very hard to construct, and I really had to think deeply to write a message which was clear, friendly but to the point and unambiguous.

T+6:00: The first (small) drop in intensity

T+7:00: My friend who I messaged earlier called me regarding the food, and it was very strange to converse over the phone. It seemed extremely loud, and there seemed to be a lot of disturbance on the connection (later I was told that this was not the case for my friend, so it was probably [at least partially] imagined). It was still hard to communicate quickly and to interpret correctly from the first time, so it was a slow-paced conversation! When he arrived, the friend told that he could clearly notice that I was still in a state of intense psychedelia when he called me.

T+8:00: The friend arrives, and some pizzas are popped into the oven. (this friend takes 40 mg of 2C-C at T+8:20 or so). The taste of the pizzas is unususally excellent, but this could partially be explained by the fact that the only thing eaten troughout the day were various snacks such as a banana, nuts, etc.
Conversation with the arrived friend is still slow, although it seems to get easier by the minute. At this moment, I still would not be able to watch a movie or read a story and comprehend it fully, as I would be distracted and confused by the complexity of it.

T+9:00: again, some music is listened to and although the intensity is dropping more and more there are still substantial psychedelic effects. The arrived friend is starting to peak (and turned out to have an experience of high intensity which he enjoyed!)

T+11:30: the intensity is finally getting down, and at this point I start to understand the sober state again, and I feel as if I could comprehend usual somewhat complex concepts again. I felt very exhausted and somewhat lethargic. I also become aware of some sort of pressure in my head (comparable to a very mild headache)

T+12:30: some television is watched, and I greatly enjoy it. Time was still moving somewhat slowly, and things still looked strangely coloured/different. The pressure in my head I noticed previously had dissappeared.

T+15,30:I try to sleep, which proved to be very hard, so I just rested in my bed for a few hours. I notice a slight headache, too.

About 5 hours later I had to get up and be somewhere, and I performed like usual. I felt no different than I would feel if had taken no drug the day before, but had slept badly.

Some comments:
I was surprised by the length, the quality and the intensity of the experience! Perhaps the dose was a bit high for a first time, but I wanted to have a full-on experience,and I was lucky to get it. Literature typically states a duration of 6-8 hours, but I would rather say it is something like 12 hours. It's interesting to note that the friend who took about 140 mg had a comparable chronology. TMA and the rest of the TMA-series also have the reputation to be pretty hard on the body, but it turned out to be easier on the body than expected. I would say that things like DOI are worse in that regard, and even for DOI the uncomfortable body effects are easily worth the other effects. That said, it was certainly not benign, and I was pretty exhausted afterwards!
I was also glad to notice that no “angry” feelings were apparent, as reported by Shulgin. I currently have no reason to believe that TMA could cause violent thoughts more than other psychedelic compounds. Maybe Shulgin thought so because he was unconsciously looking to contrast it somehow with mescaline? Or maybe the potential was there but I was not in a situation to develop violent thoughts? Who knows...
Mostly, there was an absence of therapeutic thoughts and insight into personal relations, as sometimes is the case with for example 2C-I. I don't think taking TMA to resolve some sort of issue would be worthwhile, for me. Typical thought patterns were more of the typical “psychedelic” kind, with lots of unusual associations and fantasy. At the same time I must say that despite the high intensity there was none of the cosmic/pseudo-religious/oneness/etc.. type feelings, I can get on stuff like DPT.

It is obvious to compare the substance to mescaline, because of the structural similarity. TMA has a few things in common with mescaline, in my experience: most striking is the extremely slow and gradual decline of effects. It was somewhat similar in feeling, but as noted previously, unlike mescaline there is no valuable insight into personal issues and relations. I would say that the duration is quite a bit longer than mescaline. I have only tried mescaline at 250 mg, though, so perhaps the duration is dosage-related. The come-up-time also seemed a bit shorter. The general feeling was comparable to mescaline, but distinct: whereas mescaline is at times more “relaxed” (especially a few hours into it), TMA has some of the character also found in psychedelic amphetamines such as DOM, but also 2C-I. Stimulated is not the really right term, but there is some kind of a tension present(not in a bad way...).
All in all, TMA is, in my opinion, a worthwhile and complete psychedelic which most certainly is worth trying, if one is able to obtain it. It feels like a hybrid of DOM and mescaline to me, with of course a bit of its own characteristics. Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, it is illegal in all of europe and the US probably too, so I don't see this substance gaining popularity soon. Also, I am now curious about the other TMA compounds, as TMA-2 and TMA-6 are generally believed to be the best of the series. Or is that a result of the higher availability of those last two in the last few years?

As always, comments and questions are welcomed!

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_tma
substancecode_amphetamines
substancecode_phenethylamines
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also glad to notice that no “angry” feelings were apparent, as reported by Shulgin. I currently have no reason to believe that TMA could cause violent thoughts more than other psychedelic compounds.

It didn't make me angry either, my take on the "emotional volatility" thing was he was maybe just having a bad day - I've taken a variety psychedelics before & felt angry or aggressive at times, including LSD, mushrooms, and mescaline, but these feelings aren't usual & I put them down to something within myself.

Your friend who dosed 140mgs did they also get noticeable visuals ?

I would liken TMA closer to low dose extracted san pedro than to anything else I can bring to mind.

Your trip report reads well.

Your friend who dosed 140mgs did they also get noticeable visuals ?
I believe so, yes. My friend also made some notes and submitted them to erowid, but I didn't read them myself yet. I'll try to post them here later on.

I think the emotional volitility comes from Shulgin reading oin a paper that TMA-1 caused sham rage in cats (we are not cats, we neither purr nor lick our own arses!). It does seem that it's has a biphasic nature as B9 said the first few hours were a bit grim at times and it was only after that when it began to shine and things got much better & good humoured. Was the physical distress during the first phase more akin to mescaline (iffy stomach, warm flushes) or that of other psychedelic amphetamines (DOM for me produces a fine muscle tremor during the come up, like I had too much energy to cope with)?

I must admit, I'm intruiged now and will make time to try TMA-1 at some point during the summer, if for no other reason than it's similarity to mescaline in structure (mescaline is one of my top 5 favourite psychedelics because of it's unhurried, laid back nature unlike say LSD which is very 'in your face' and not very easy to step back from)

Was the physical distress during the first phase more akin to mescaline (iffy stomach, warm flushes) or that of other psychedelic amphetamines (DOM for me produces a fine muscle tremor during the come up, like I had too much energy to cope with)?
it was more akin to mescaline(as you said, weird stomache feelings, feelings of coldness), but there was some (mild) tremor, too.

^ I can find nothing in erowid trip reports pertaining to TMA (1) at all.
I noticed no tremor personally

^ I can find nothing in erowid trip reports pertaining to TMA (1) at all.
it was only submitted yesterday, I think, and erowid report evaluation usually takes a few months.? I'll ask him to post it here too, I think he has a bluelight account
I noticed no tremor personally
I have to admit that it was rather mild: certainly not like, say,4-AcO-DiPT

I must have missed this one when it was written. Nice write-up. :) I'd love a chance to try TMA. I have some TMA I will be trying at some point, hopefully sooner than later. TMA-2 is the most exciting one to me since it has the 2,4,5 substitution pattern (and in fact was how Shulgin discovered the magic of that pattern, which led to many of the best drugs in existence). I had the chance to try TMA-6, at 40mg, once, but unfortunately was in the midst of WAY too much tripping and my permatolerance fucked that experiment up. I took a few notes but didn't have enough of an experience to write a report, which I really regret.