Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

TIME: Teens Are Using Drugs Far Less Than They Used To

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Teens Are Using Drugs Far Less Than They Used To
Maya Rhodan
9/16/2014

About 8.8 % of young people surveyed were current illicit drug users, down 13% from 2009.

New data show that efforts to reduce drug use among teens have succeeded, to an extent.

Illicit drug use among people age 12 to 17 is down 24% since 2002, according to the 2013 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, released Tuesday by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. About 8.8 % of young people surveyed were current illicit drug users, down 13% from 2009. Fewer adolescents also reported consuming alcohol, with 11.6% reporting doing so in 2013 compared to 12.9% in 2012.

Continued here http://time.com/3387433/teens-drug-use/

Who were the people who they surveyed?

When I was in highschool they surveyed my class about alcohol and tobacco use.

My friends who were in a class behind me got surveyed about drug use (or drugs besides alcohol and nicotine) and just lied, or made stuff up

Idk about that. Little high school wannabes always come up to me asking to get them something. Usually weed but ecstasy, LSD, even meth all seem to be pretty popular as well. I do live in a state with a heavy drug culture though.

Who were the people who they surveyed?

When I was in highschool they surveyed my class about alcohol and tobacco use.

My friends who were in a class behind me got surveyed about drug use (or drugs besides alcohol and nicotine) and just lied, or made stuff up

They can't survey everyone so they survey a certain amount of the student population and based on the percentages of those results, they come up with percentages on a national scale. That's a dumbed down version of what they do. It's a bit more complex, but it definitely has plenty of room for various anomalies in the statistics.

Also, even though the surveys are kept anonymous it doesn't mean the students answer with complete honesty.

Kids are just growing up later. I smoked weed constantly in high school but I didn't start doing hard drugs regularly until college.

teen-perception-marijuana-risk.png

dependency.png

"Marijuana Dependency" lol