• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Tigan + Psychedelics

Dondante

Bluelighter
Anybody tried this to combat nausea? I'm curious if Tebamide/Tigan (trimethobenzamide) would be effective for this.

I might give it a try. I'm going to try mescaline hcl and go on a hike. We're having some beautiful pre-spring weather here in NC.

Anyone think this would be a bad idea or not worth it? I started this thread in ADD to get the opinion of any pharmacology people and because I'm afraid I wouldn't get much response in PD. Thanks.

Actually, just to get the information out there, why don't we make this a general discussion on antiemetics and psychedelics. I did a search and didn't find much other than ginger, cannabis, and antihistamines.

Has anyone tried combining any of the newer pharmaceutical antiemetics (5-HT3 antagonists or drugs that interact with the CTZ) with some of the more nauseating psychedelics? I doubt the dopamine antagonists would be useful.

I bet 5-HT3 antagonists would be better for drugs that produce transient nausea upon ingestion, but the CTZ drugs could be better for persistent low-grade nausea.

I've only vomited once from a psychedelic (rectal 2C-T-2 ... 8o), but nausea is sometimes just a nuisance. DOB produced one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had a few months back, but there was a low level nausea that was just annoying and lasted most of the trip. It actually had me analyzing the emetic reflex from an evolutionary perspective for some time. =D It's interesting that seeing another human vomit can induce vomiting in others (think of early hominids gathering food together in small groups). Also, according to wikipedia, the sound of someone vomiting is by the most repulsive sound known to man.

Last edited:
^ They tend to be a bit on te rare side because of their costs. I remember looking at the price of ondansetron in the BNF and it was more expensive than just about all the other drugs in there except for some of the anti-cancer drugs and a few antibiotics

Seeing or hearing someone vomit generally has me doing heaves. Damn mirror neurones - at times it helps to not empathise with someone!

Is mescaline nausea transient, or just more intense at the beginning and continuing throughout?

Generally all at the start, during the onset. By the 3 hour mark it's usually pretty much gone

Tigan is a really old drug, but quite effective (at least for me). I still have some suppositories, and when I mentioned to my Dr., he mentioned that "wow, that is really old stuf", which in turn, made me feel old, which I am :)

As a cheap alternative, try some meclazine (behind the counter @ Costco Pharmacies. 100 25Mg tabs of Sandoz for ~$3.50/btl.) And I find it an especially good antihistamine for opiate potentiation without the additional (artificial), antihistamine spaciness. Meclazine alone doesn't really put me to sleep (like Doxylamine, and to lesser, diphenhydramine). Wish I could find some cyclazine for that price, but it seems artificially high in price everywhere I look, bummer :(

Although it's not a serotonergic psychedelic, I have read that Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) is used to combat ibogaine nausea. Ibogaine's nausea is mainly vestibular so I don't know if it's the same with indole psychedelics.

Anyway it should be a non-phenothiazine derivative anti-emetic because phenothiazine's are as far as I know first generation anti-psychotic compounds.

there is a article here
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20040301/1169.html

I think this question is very important because it might help us understand the mechanism of psychedelics a little bit more.

My wife has had success with Emetrol, but I think this may be due to placebo.

I can't guarantee it was the antiemetic, but 420 mg mescaline hcl + trimethobenzamide caused almost no nausea. I even ate two meals under the influence. I won't even try to describe the beauty of the experience itself. Mescaline is a very interesting psychedelic ... clearheaded, yet quite amazing. I may try around the 600 mg mark next time.

Dondante said:
Actually, just to get the information out there, why don't we make this a general discussion on antiemetics and psychedelics. I did a search and didn't find much other than ginger, cannabis, and antihistamines.

Has anyone tried combining any of the newer pharmaceutical antiemetics (5-HT3 antagonists or drugs that interact with the CTZ) with some of the more nauseating psychedelics? I doubt the dopamine antagonists would be useful.

I bet 5-HT3 antagonists would be better for drugs that produce transient nausea upon ingestion, but the CTZ drugs could be better for persistent low-grade nausea.

I've only vomited once from a psychedelic (rectal 2C-T-2 ... 8o), but nausea is sometimes just a nuisance. DOB produced one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had a few months back, but there was a low level nausea that was just annoying and lasted most of the trip. It actually had me analyzing the emetic reflex from an evolutionary perspective for some time. =D It's interesting that seeing another human vomit can induce vomiting in others (think of early hominids gathering food together in small groups). Also, according to wikipedia, the sound of someone vomiting is by the most repulsive sound known to man.

I tried odanesetron (sp) many years ago with mesc, didn't help in the slightest. 1hr before if I remember right, maybe it is slower acting than that. there are a couple of other 5ht3 antagonists I suspect that the nausea is not caused by 5ht3 agonism on the part of mesc. i have no idea how these things work.
the best way is still to slowly drink the substance over half an hour, for me that works almost completely slight twinges and the sweaty feeling but no puking.

^^ It was mescaline hcl though (> 98% ), and not peyote. Supposedly it causes much less nausea than the cactus. I ended up putting it on a soft taco and eating it ... don't ask why. Mescaline tacos are not nearly as tasty as they may sound. ;)